How to make lower gain Plexi pre set sound full?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
I have always struggled with lower gain pre sets sounding thin at band volume through PA
Here are screen shots of my amp and cab settings and the actual pre set to sample if ya want. Suggestions helpful

Context is a Rock crunch with single coils. Problems I have had is bringing bass up kills mids and note definition and too much depth does the same. Thanks for chiming in!
Amp settings.png

How does the band sound in context? Does the band sound thin?

Thickness is up to the kick, snare to a degree and the bassist.

Lower the value of the bright cap. Or raise the treble gain and lower the input trim to compensate. The bright cap has less effect the higher your treble gain is set.

Maybe a PEQ after the amp?
Flip the cut off and the fat on?
Do you use a input boost… FAS boost feels “fatter”
Also look at the variac…and maybe negative feedback…

I also really like the Revv G G1 channel for a plexish feel…

How does the band sound in context? Does the band sound thin?

Thickness is up to the kick, snare to a degree and the bassist.
Compared to my real Friedman JEL 20w head or my real Wizard 50w head this tone is really thin and not punchy. I need to spend more time with our PA trying some stuff suggested, nothing really new brought up though.

The band is killer and the FM3 will do the job, I just want it closer to my real amps

For my strat, I’m currently using just the normal channel with the bass pretty low (like 1), mids at 8, treble at 6-7, and presence at 10. Also bypassing the bright cap as that really thins things out. The bright channel has a lot of highs and upper mids. It sounds like you need more lower mids, which means normal channel is the way to go.

I tried your preset and it was clipping badly. Here is a tweaked version of your preset which may or may not be to your liking. It is what it is.

Attachments

• PlexiLive 2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Plexi's get thinner as you lower the 'Gain' parameter by design. Try running the 'Gain' higher, and lower the 'Input Trim' parameter to reduce gain without affecting the tone.

And as already mentioned, turn off the 'Bright Switch' when using single-coils, and compensate with 'Treble' and/or 'Presence' as needed. Also play around with the 'Output EQ' in the Amp block to add or subtract post EQ as needed.

Last edited:
Plexi's get thinner as you lower the 'Gain' parameter by design. Try running the 'Gain' higher, and lower the 'Input Trim' parameter to reduce gain without affecting the tone.

And as already mentioned, turn off the 'Bright Switch' when using single-coils, and compensate with 'Treble' and/or 'Presence' as needed. Also play around with the 'Output EQ' in the Amp block to add or subtract post EQ as needed.
+1. I am also running my input trim on 0.5 (low input).

Another option would be to use the preamp EQ in the cab block. I’ve found that works well when I like the “character” of drive from an amp but I want to adjust the balance. So in your case set it with the punchy mids and treble you like, then select your flavor of preamp in the cab block and adjust the EQ accordingly. Yes it’s not as precise as a PEQ or GEQ, but I find it really powerful and convenient as very often turn of the treble is all I need to thicken a single coil or brighten a humbucker, or the mid knob to bring a sound forward in the mix.

EQing after the amp can also give greater control of low end without making the amp flubby. Whether in a PEQ, GEQ, or cab block EQ.

Another option is to adjust the preamp high cut in the preamp page, or use the amp blocks input and output EQ options.

There are a lot of ways to thicken the tone in a Fractal modeler, just depends on what sound and feel you are going for!

I tried your preset. those are not really low gain lol.

First your levels are completely insane. I don't know how you set up but amp level at +7.7 clips everything for me.

The LT Mix 7 Is really low on bass, the bossom drive is aggressive too. I tried just to switch to your 808 block in the first scene and it was already better. I also raised the proximity a little on each cabs and it was great. I also had a little bass in the preamp cab section and it helped too.

my thoughts is the you have dialed those tones at low volume or for a recording.

They sound really great and are really enjoyable to play if I don't push the volume but if I raise it all I hear is highs and gain.

try to increase/decrease some parameters here and there and you'll get what you want. I would also consider another irs.

Compared to my real Friedman JEL 20w head or my real Wizard 50w head this tone is really thin and not punchy. I need to spend more time with our PA trying some stuff suggested, nothing really new brought up though.

The band is killer and the FM3 will do the job, I just want it closer to my real amps

Have you considered trying one of the Friedman amp models in the unit instead of a Plexi?

I tried your preset. those are not really low gain lol.

First your levels are completely insane. I don't know how you set up but amp level at +7.7 clips everything for me.

The LT Mix 7 Is really low on bass, the bossom drive is aggressive too. I tried just to switch to your 808 block in the first scene and it was already better. I also raised the proximity a little on each cabs and it was great. I also had a little bass in the preamp cab section and it helped too.

my thoughts is the you have dialed those tones at low volume or for a recording.

They sound really great and are really enjoyable to play if I don't push the volume but if I raise it all I hear is highs and gain.

try to increase/decrease some parameters here and there and you'll get what you want. I would also consider another irs.
I knew someone would say it was not low gain. I like a good rock crunch with snarl. My style has to have it! Band does not play Flock of seagulls LOL :D

Back
Top Bottom