How to improve the sweep on the expression pedals?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I've seen a few threads talking about this in the past but i cant seem to find them. So....here it goes again

I'm noticing that all my expression pedals seem to only utilize about 50% of the sweep. From the heel down position to about half way up nothing changes on the mod screen. This causes the whole slope to be covered in the last 50% or so. I've tried calibrating and I've tried different pedals. Ive tried turning off auto engage. So far I've tried a boss fv500l, an Ernie ball vpjr and I also converted a crybaby wah to an expression pedal and all work pretty much the same way.
Is there one pedal that works better than others or is this just the way it's going to be with all pedals?

One thing I do notice is that when I go into the calibrate menu on the I/O screen, I press enter and move the pedal but nothing happens on that screen. I'm not sure if it's actually calibrating or not.

Any advice?

Are you sure you did not have the ins/outs plugged backwards on the pedal. Thats what happens when they are backwards. did you use the exp port on the boss f500l. I've use EB jpjr in the past with out issue.
You are plugging directly into the back of the Axe-fx, not the mfc, right? Calibration on the axe-fx is for plugging right into the back of the Axe-fx.

The MFC has its own calibration.

I'm using a y-split tip/ring cable to stereo jack.
Which of the tip and ring go to the input and output on the pedal?

that boss pedal had a exp jack for use as an expression pedal I believe. You would use a trs to trs jack for that. Are you plugging into the back of the MFC or ii?

Using the trs cable made it a little better. Still a little bit in the toe down position that doesnt do anything. But it is a lot better.
Thanks

A couple other questions, what is a good short trs cable to use and where could I get them? Preferrably something with right angles.

And, my Ernie ball pedal doesn't have the exp jack, so I'd have to just use the y cable correct?

I did calibrate it on the mfc before.
The trs made a bit of a difference.

Can anyone recommend a good trs cable?
Is it possible to get DIY cables so I can make it the length I want?
Like George l's only stereo

What's everyone using for trs cables? I can't seem to find any short right angled ones.
Someone throw me a bone here.

hi there,
i use ernie ball pedals as expression pedals too.
here's an old picture
delayboard_June2008_1.jpg

for the trs cable i simply got a stereo to two mono cable:
Amazon.com: Hosa Cable STP203 TRS To Dual 1/4 Inch Insert Cable - 9.75 Foot: Musical Instruments
cut the cable to the length i want, and replaced the mono ends with pancake jack plugs, like these:
Amazon.com: Switchcraft 1/4" Mono 2-Conductor Right Angle Flat-Back Plug (Type 228): Musical Instruments
the stereo plug was replaced with one of these:
Amazon.com: Neutrik 1/4IN TRS Right Angle-Slim PLUG NP3RCS: Musical Instruments
hope that helps

What's everyone using for trs cables? I can't seem to find any short right angled ones.
Someone throw me a bone here.
Home made, using a good quality microphone cable, and stereo jack plugs. The pedal is modified with a stereo socket sitting between the original mono in/out sockets.

I did calibrate it on the mfc before.
The trs made a bit of a difference.

Can anyone recommend a good trs cable?
Is it possible to get DIY cables so I can make it the length I want?
Like George l's only stereo

If you change things (like cabling, swapping the tip/ring, etc) you need to recalibrate on the MFC

I bought "musicians gear" trs-trs right angle cables at GC. Only 10 bucks for 8 of them and they work great. 17 inches long so they just worked as far as length.

Dude I just checked out your band site and I think I’ve met your singer before. She came up to my brother and I introducing herself. I think she’s seen our band play before somewhere. I’m in the Gina Glocksen Band. Great to see some other Chicago players using the axe in cover bands now! Still on the ultra myself...

Back
Top Bottom