How to get this amazing Reggae wall of reverb sound?

Dude that's mike love! He plays here all the time and is so amazing live, exactly like the video. Took some pics of him a while ago:

1-29-14 Mike Love - Mai Tai Bar - Katsu Kuri Media

But yeah that reverb is a single pedal. Reggae verb like that is usually a spring turned very high and it mutes when taken out. Ooklah the Moc does it a lot too.

Am I right that this youtube channel/website (HiSessions) only features musicians from Hawaii?
I watched some other videos and was delighted to see/hear the musical quality.

yup. Jon Yamasato produces them and it's pretty much all local artists. a few special guests here and there, but it's usually an acoustic style stripped down version.

Reactions: Cem
I got a little lost in the HiSessions channel this morning after watching the Mike Love video -- all of it was very amazing.

I got a PM response from Java Junkie who owns the Strymon blue sky used to get this sound. This was his suggestion.

"Really hard to hear what it actually is doing with the wah. One part he is using the timeline and big sky. I would try small spring, high mix, 3-5 time. Adjust the size parameter for the right spacing of boings. Adjust the spring drive and spring tone to taste.

Since he never lets that reverb full develop, it could sound crappy and extreme if he let it play out but great in short bursts. It is hard to say."

I'll have to give this a shot. If I get some good results I'll post the patch.

Was listening to this in headphones on my commute and had an idea for getting this. The patch I posted doesn't go deep enough on the verb. Tonight...

Try putting the spring reverb in front of the amp. It will really make it more washy sounding like 50's surf guitar. Go easy on the mix though or it will completely bury your sound when you hit hard.

Updates! To begin with: factory cab in this one so all should have sounds from the start.

• Scene 1: No delay or reverb
  • Scene 2: Crazy deep dub echo/verb that cuts off when you switch out of this scene
  • Scene 3: Triplet delay and a lighter verb for rhythm and lead work.
  • Scenes 4-5: Same as three but with effects.

There's also a wah in the patch assigned to controller 1 for auto-engaged goodness.

I set it up with scene controllers that pretty much kill that deep dub delay/verb thing when you move away from scene 2. This lets you get a groove going and then switch in to scene 2 quickly for a crazy dub break and then back out again. The kills make certain that there's no trails left cycling in the scene 2 reverb or delay block when you switch back in to it. Gives it a glitchy kind of feel I guess.

Fun use of scenes, that's for sure. You couldn't do this kind of thing without them.

Edit: it's not *perfectly* in line with Mike Love's sound (in part because he's using a baritone acoustic and I'm not when dialling this in) but it's got the spirit and you can tweak from there. I don't do facsimiles sorry (before the whole whole "yea...it's okay but it needs more this and that..." crew start).

Get it: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Reggae Dub v2 - by iaresee

Last edited:
That dude is a master of playing a pedalboard. I'm always amazed how people can control a looper while playing a song. Looks like he also had a bunch of oversize knobs on a few pedals to allow him to adjust parameters with his foot. I'm not a huge reggae fan but this composition is great.

Back
Top Bottom