How to get this amazing Reggae wall of reverb sound?

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic

I love this immense reverb sound that I have heard many times used in reaggae/dub music. I am not sure what kind of reverb or delay or what to do to get this sound. Check the clip and you'll hear him switching it in and out momentarily throughout this piece @ 0:35 - 1:05 - 1:23 - 2:12 - 7:27.

He is using his wah whilst engaging this reverb so I'm not trying to get the wah tone just the reverb/delay. I'm not sure if there is some delay in there or if there is some modulation on the tails or anything.

Any help on this would be great! Thanks guys.

No idea... but that's properly impressive!
clap.gif

An important treatment of that is the filtering; "telephone filter" almost. Maybe done with a wha? Sounds like a soft gate on the spring rev return... Or maybe such an unnaturally fast fade-out curve is built into that reverb stompbox he's using

An important treatment of that is the filtering; "telephone filter" almost. Maybe done with a wha? Sounds like a soft gate on the spring rev return... Or maybe such an unnaturally fast fade-out curve is built into that reverb stompbox he's using

Yeah that's the wah.

Not sure what you mean by the softgate on the spring reverb return

The filtering is the wah. The cut off sounds like he just cut the effect off with no trail.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a crack at it. I've never been happy with my attempts at slapback type sounds. Would you suggest a tape delay for the slapback?

Either tape, analog or digital should be fine. Keep the delay time between 80-120 ms (I would guess), only one or 2 echos. The mix of the delay and reverb should be pretty high, since it is being cut off quickly.

He uses Strymon EL capistan for slapbacks, ( Stereo tape in axe can handle it) and Strymon Blue sky for reverb, and sounds like it's spring reverb with high decay.

He uses Strymon EL capistan for slapbacks, ( Stereo tape in axe can handle it) and Strymon Blue sky for reverb, and sounds like it's spring reverb with high decay.

Honestly it looks like he is only using the one pedal for that effect. You can see him switching it in and out. I'm pretty certain it is the Strymon Blue sky pedal. I don't think there is any other slapback from another pedal in this sound.

I'm not saying he doesn't use the El Capistan but I don't think it is active in this sound.

Honestly it looks like he is only using the one pedal for that effect. You can see him switching it in and out. I'm pretty certain it is the Strymon Blue sky pedal. I don't think there is any other slapback from another pedal in this sound.

I'm not saying he doesn't use the El Capistan but I don't think it is active in this sound.

The Blue Sky is on his far left bottom. I also see a mobius,time line, el capistan, pog 2, jamman, ehx voicebox, maxon analog delay, and some orange drive pedal.

It looks like most of the time he just clicks on the blue sky and the wah. I have a blue sky and a big sky. The spring verbs are great on them.

Reactions: Cem
The Blue Sky is on his far left bottom. I also see a mobius,time line, el capistan, pog 2, jamman, ehx voicebox, maxon analog delay, and some orange drive pedal.

It looks like most of the time he just clicks on the blue sky and the wah. I have a blue sky and a big sky. The spring verbs are great on them.

Seeing as you have the blue sky pedal do you think you could suggest some settings for the Axe Fx reverb that could get me into the ball park of that sound in the video i posted? That'd be awesome!!

I am a bit scared of the reverb block. I have never really experimented with it too much. Reverbs are a whole other thing to master. It is a subtle art.

Last edited:
Interesting on the FX side, but that was some tasty stuff from a talented guy :) Made my day. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Cem
big empty room with expensive wood floors and kitchen tiles for your anti-capitalism grooves to bounce off of?

Ha! Yea, I thought the lyrics and the location were kind of at odds with other! :)

But holy crap that was an amazing performance.

Edit: there's an amazing reggae band down the hall from us in our rehearsal space and the guitar player gets these out-this-world space dub sounds. We chat gear from time to time and he was telling me "that sound" is a 1/4 note triplet delay into a plate reverb for him. He'll ride the delay feedback and reverb levels in his setup to wash it out and what not.

Here's a patch based on his advice and man it gets pretty close if you ask me: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2587

Just add an expression pedal to the delay feedback and the reverb levels and you can push it up and wash it out nicely. The tape delay saturates in such a satisfying manner here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom