How to get rid of AC30 low end haziness?

james...

Experienced
Hear me out on this one. I'm a worship player, so I love the AC30 for clean/dirty sounds. The sparkle and chime is just heavenly. But I use mostly humbucker guitars and I notice that the low end on the top boost is frequently very mushy/hazy/fuzzy and undefined. I'm aware that this is simply a normal part of the amp and to some people, it's a positive aspect. But for me, it's making my clean sound turn to undefined mush.

I've tried the very obvious EQ approach. It doesn't exactly work, because I'm not trying to take away the low end. I just want to change its character.

Maybe some advanced settings would be the fix here?

james... said:
Hear me out on this one. I'm a worship player, so I love the AC30 for clean/dirty sounds. The sparkle and chime is just heavenly. But I use mostly humbucker guitars and I notice that the low end on the top boost is frequently very mushy/hazy/fuzzy and undefined. I'm aware that this is simply a normal part of the amp and to some people, it's a positive aspect. But for me, it's making my clean sound turn to undefined mush.

I've tried the very obvious EQ approach. It doesn't exactly work, because I'm not trying to take away the low end. I just want to change its character.

I use Cliff suggestion with the highpass filter with an envelope attached to the frequency. It gets rid of the low end flub.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10796&p=103037&hilit=filter+envelope#p103037

real AC30s don't have a lot of bass at all. Theres a ridiculous coupling capacitor after the first stage (IIRC). My advice would be set the bass really low on the amp, like around 2 maybe.

I use Cliff suggestion with the highpass filter with an envelope attached to the frequency. It gets rid of the low end flub.

Just with the Vox?

If possable I would intall a coil tap on one if not both of the pickups on your guitar. My PRS has it and it works great on the TB sim.

tonygtr said:
IMHO, AC30s work best with singlecoils. Try to reduce the bass in the amp sim, and boost them after.

A big worship sound is humbuckers in to a Class A amp. Frequently an Ac30. Chris Tomlin's guitarist, Hillsong United, Paul Baloches guitar player frequently use humbuckers in to ac30 or variant. Singles coils work but the aren't really the same. Even the Edge will use an Explorer into an Ac30.

Cliff's trick works really well to get rid of the flub.

javajunkie said:
yek said:

Just with the Vox?

A couple of others

Yep, just tried, it works indeed. I thought it was just for metal palm-muting but for this purpose it works very well too. Good to know.

javajunkie said:
james... said:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10796&p=103037&hilit=filter+envelope#p103037

I finally tried that 'trick' because of this thread; and man that's pretty powerful and good. Makes almost anything sit better in a mix. Sort of eye - and ear - opening. Does something very different than any static setting (low pass in the advanced amp block for instance, or just turning down the bass in the amp block or just a high pass without the expression envelope controlling it). Amazing.

You can then turn up the bass in the amp sim, not monkey at all with the advanced tab and it really changes the texture of what you can do in a very powerful yet almost transparent way.

You learn something every day. I've tried it on almost all the different presets I use and have to say I am tempted to run it on all of them; though for different reasons. It just seems to 'unclutter' what you hear.

Just another example of how the Axe-FX is better than reality. You can't do things like this - live and in real time - with an analog physical amp.

Thanks for yet another - very powerful - tool in the tool box.

Back
Top Bottom