How to get guitar effect in the “Miracle” by John Bon jovi

taavila

Hi Guys I’ve tried for some time to get the guitar effect that Jeff back used in the song Miracle from Jon Bon Jovi song. It seems a harmonizer but my attempts didn’t get close probably due my lack of experience with harmonizer. Some one can help me or that is other effect?

Thank you Simeon, I'm really lost in wrong direction. I've tried so many different approaches without sucess. Maybe it's time to study deeper Jeff's techinics and appeals to tone match.

I’m hearing repeatedly several times and shire there is something more. I tried thang as Simeon suggested but is missing something

Just to be clear I’m not talking about the mean solo but the guitar at intro and during the corus. If some one else has more tips

I hear something that sounds like a pitch shifter with at least 2 tracks. I would use the custom pitch and pick it out one note at a time.

I hear something that sounds like a pitch shifter with at least 2 tracks. I would use the custom pitch and pick it out one note at a time.

Yes I thought the same and tried that but that’s not the case. If a played same phrase in diferente part of the neck become more close as two guitars has Fuller sound but is yet far from that sound.

Just to be clear I’m not talking about the mean solo but the guitar at intro and during the corus. If some one else has more tips

Do you mean the melody in the beginning when the drum kicks in? That's just a twin or even triple guitar part. That can't be done with a harmonizer because sometimes they play octaves, sixths and fifths. You need two or three guitars. That beginning sounds like it could be an Abba song by the way...

oh, you didn't say that. i thought you were referring to the solo. i doubt the lead guitars in the intro and chorus were actually played by jeff. anyway - yes, it's harmonised. bear in mind that you can't just play the phrase in different parts of the neck. it's a little more complicated than that, because you have to stay in key, which means adjusting the intervals in the phrase to fit. some theory knowledge is required.
for a quick fix, try placing the intelligent harmoniser after the cab block. set the key to Eb ionian. set the intervals to 3 and -4.
this may not sound exactly like the recording (i haven't got the time or the inclination to work out exactly what's going on, sorry), because harmonising in strict thirds and fourths can lead to some notes which aren't desirable (i.e. don't land on chord tones at the end end of phrases). when multitracking this kind of stuff, it's usual to adjust the harmonies slightly, so they don't exactly follow the melody. (as a teenager in the 80's i was slightly obsessed with recording harmony parts on melodies and in solos, so i bumped into this problem quite a few times). maybe some kind soul can help you out with a custom scale to really nail it.

oh, you didn't say that. i thought you were referring to the solo. i doubt the lead guitars in the intro and chorus were actually played by jeff. anyway - yes, it's harmonised. bear in mind that you can't just play the phrase in different parts of the neck. it's a little more complicated than that, because you have to stay in key, which means adjusting the intervals in the phrase to fit. some theory knowledge is required.
for a quick fix, try placing the intelligent harmoniser after the cab block. set the key to Eb ionian. set the intervals to 3 and -4.
this may not sound exactly like the recording (i haven't got the time or the inclination to work out exactly what's going on, sorry), because harmonising in strict thirds and fourths can lead to some notes which aren't desirable (i.e. don't land on chord tones at the end end of phrases). when multitracking this kind of stuff, it's usual to adjust the harmonies slightly, so they don't exactly follow the melody. (as a teenager in the 80's i was slightly obsessed with recording harmony parts on melodies and in solos, so i bumped into this problem quite a few times). maybe some kind soul can help you out with a custom scale to really nail it.

Thank you so much Simeon. I’ve been worked much time on that challenge and I’m almost giving up. Your ideas and mode Ionian really helped me to get more close despite to be far away yet. Actually I found the 3th sounding better but I think that is something wrong it doesn’t seems to the song. I would appreciate your comments.

As said I hear different intervals than what you have played. I think it is not possible to replicate it exactly with a harmonizer because the intervals keep changing.

As said I hear different intervals than what you have played. I think it is not possible to replicate it exactly with a harmonizer because the intervals keep changing.

Yes. I’m quite shure that is not same intervals but is to much for my ears to identify in the harmony which one is. I believe is possible to run by using custom shift as you can say the intervals to axe. Well is another level above myself.

Yes, you totally correct. I found a guy playing two guitar parts and no regular intervals and custom shift may reproduce this. Actually he was playing a half step below the original, but well close the original song. the two guitars change the intervals, some parts uses 3th, 5th, 6th depending on the moment and one specific note may has different interval also. This case only can be reproduced by using a looper for a alone guitar player...

Back
Top Bottom