How to get EB volume pedal to get a steady increase???

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone able to make it steady...instead of all at once in the initial 1/2 inch? Drives me nuts!

Tremonti said:
Anyone able to make it steady...instead of all at once in the initial 1/2 inch? Drives me nuts!

If the volume is coming all at once, you probably need to reverse the mono 1/4 connections going in to the EB.

Even if you have the connections right, you'll still have this problem. If the connections are wrong, it will hardly function at all.

The solution is to adjust the slope of the modifier. 12% is a good starting point, but I don't like the ramp it creates. I think mine settled on 21%, but I'm not positive. That provides a really similar response to the way the pedal works in a typical setup IMO.

D

dk_ace said:
Even if you have the connections right, you'll still have this problem. If the connections are wrong, it will hardly function at all.

The solution is to adjust the slope of the modifier. 12% is a good starting point, but I don't like the ramp it creates. I think mine settled on 21%, but I'm not positive. That provides a really similar response to the way the pedal works in a typical setup IMO.

D

right, I was going by the statement, "the intial 1/2 inch". I think that would qualify as pretty much unusable and consistent w/ reversed connections. Although, it may be the reverse that happens no throw until the very end. It's been a while since I ran into the issue. The more I think about the more I think it is the opposite (all the throw at the very end) when they are reversed.

Tremonti said:
Where do I go to adjust the slope?

If you are using the the main volume for your volume control, there isn't a way to do that.

If you are using a volume block, go to the volume parameter in the volume block and hit enter.

I changed the pot in both my EB volume pedals to a 100k linear pot instead of the log pot.

It was a pain in the ass, and not recommended if your not both handy with tools and patient, but for me it was worthwhile. Works perfectly when controlling the output 1 volume or any other parameter, and it still has the nice feel and small footprint that i like about the EBs.

There was a guy on the G-system forum who bought a pot from EB that goes in the stereo vol/pan pedal. It's a little easier to use that one, but it's like $30 or more from EB. I used some pots I already had, but it took extra drilling and filing to get them in there.

Yeah I knew they needed to be linear pots instead of the log pots....why do 99% of the pedals out there use log pots? I know they are for audio signal and not as much for midi type operations...but are there any good solid pedals that are made that already have linear pots? I hate cheapy plastic pedals and TC Electronics is taking FOREVER to get their pedal out. Thoughts?

It's no secret that I favor the Rocktron expression pedals. The Hex, for that "traditional CryBaby" look and feel, and the Utopia for flexibility and "futuristic" look.

448349.jpg
imagezoom.jpg

Both about US$75 each.

xrist04 said:
It's no secret that I favor the Rocktron expression pedals. The Hex, for that "traditional CryBaby" look and feel, and the Utopia for flexibility and "futuristic" look.

448349.jpg
imagezoom.jpg

Both about US$75 each.

I've been thinking about the utopia. My Roland expression pedal just has too little resistance for my taste.

This behaviour is caused by the logarithmic taper in the EB pedal which results in a nonlinear control curve. There is a discussion on this topic over there in the wish list forum.

Best regards
Friedlieb

Wow I cant believe no one mentioned the switch inside the pedal itself. If you open your pedal ( volume all the way off), you can somewhat see a switch you can change in the inside front of the pedal that slides sideways. This will give you a more linear sweep

jhp612 said:
Wow I cant believe no one mentioned the switch inside the pedal itself. If you open your pedal ( volume all the way off), you can somewhat see a switch you can change in the inside front of the pedal that slides sideways. This will give you a more linear sweep

Yes, newer versions of the pedal have this switch. The classic ones do not. :eek:

The switch on the inside does nothing....never has...maybe if you have guitar plugged directly in it you could hear a difference...but as a midi expression pedal...nothing

Tremonti said:
The switch on the inside does nothing....never has...maybe if you have guitar plugged directly in it you could hear a difference...but as a midi expression pedal...nothing

I could here a difference plugging it into the guitar. I did it yesterday checking somethings out, but it was not drastic and linear it was not.

Tremonti said:

The switch does modify the taper somewhat, and does work as E.P too, but it's only a subtle change.
It's not anywhere near linear in either switch position though, the only way to achieve that is to use a linear pot.

I'm very happy with my 6166's as expression pedals after changing the pots.

S.R.

I'm amazed the Rocktron site says nothing about what type of pots are in the Hex and the Utopia pedals??!! Are they linear pots or Log? If they are linear I'll give them a try...if they are log pots I'd just assume keep my EB. I mainly want an expression pedal for wah and volume....need that smooth taper sweep that is gradual. Anyone?

Tremonti said:
I'm amazed the Rocktron site says nothing about what type of pots are in the Hex and the Utopia pedals??!! Are they linear pots or Log? If they are linear I'll give them a try...if they are log pots I'd just assume keep my EB. I mainly want an expression pedal for wah and volume....need that smooth taper sweep that is gradual. Anyone?

xrist04 had stated the were linear in another post, but I have not seen anything official on that.

The switch change is extremely subtle, and will do nothing to help this situation. It just slightly changes the taper of the log curve.

I use a volume block to control the volume as I like to control the volume before the delay and verb. If you operate in this manner, there is no reason to change the pots or buy a different pedal. You just need to adjust the slope of the modifier to whatever suits you.

If you want the pedal to control Out 1 volume (post everything), then you need to change the pots or use another pedal.

D

A while ago, I took a very close look at the resistance curve of the EB VPJR 250k. Here is what I found:

Most audio taper pots available today do not have a true log taper. It is much easier for pot manufacturers to split the resistive element into two sections, each having a linear taper. The first 50% of rotation is equal to about 20% of the total resistance, with the remaining 80% resistance occuring in the final 50% of rotation.

This abrupt change in rate of resistance change is clearly seen in the plot below. With 1VDC applied to the VPJR input, I captured the output voltage while moving the treadle manually. The VPJR's 'taper' switch is in down position:
VPJR_switch_down.gif

With the 'taper' switch in the up position:
VPJR_switch_up.gif

I then realized that I could add a resistor in parallel with the existing resistor on the small PCB in the VPJR, and this would change the taper to something that is more linear. A 25k ohm 'linearizing' resistor provides the following curve:
VPJR_switch_up_25Klinearizing_res.gif

Back
Top Bottom