How to get chg-chg-chg sound?

Anton Karelin

Inspired
Hello, people!
How to make such a "Chick-Chick-Chick" or "Chg-Chg-Chg" or "click" sound when he starts attacking the strings with Palm-Mute?
Like this:

That kind of reminds me of the annoying sound I could never quite dial out of palm mutes on my Variax guitar caused by the piezo pickup, but even more extreme.

Agree with the above postings, other than lots of gain, not really an amp setting sound, and sounds like something literally tapping on some part of the guitar.

According to Cliff, you might toy with the Compander or Gain Enhancer to add/subtract pick attack chirp.

Use the Gain Enhancer in the Amp block. This will accentuate pick attack. Lower the gain and use your picking technique to dynamically control the gain.

A Compander is a compressor followed by an expander. If the time constant of the compressor and expander are the same (and the "channel" is perfect, i.e. linear and lossless) then a Compander is transparent. If you change the time constant of one vs. the other the transients will become distorted.

The "Transients" knob controls the time constant mismatch. Negative values smooth the transients, positive values enhance the transients.

A Compander with transient enhancement can be used on kick drums, bass, etc. to add punch. Transient reduction can be used to reduce plosives.

For guitar you can use the Compander to add or remove pick attack.

Stainless steel strings and a metal pick would get you there fast. If you end up with too much, you could substitute the metal pick with a wooden one or even a stubby pick. Thickness shouldn't matter too much but will change the timbre. Try out something thin. Like a .5mm

Hello, people!
How to make such a "Chick-Chick-Chick" or "Chg-Chg-Chg" or "click" sound when he starts attacking the strings with Palm-Mute?
Like this:

Not sure if this is an answer, but look into Attak Pik that squeaky thing on the chug sounds like it's a pick artifact. They make very interesting picks.

The first part just sounds like typical Iommi to me 🤷🏻
He does get that scratchy scrapping sound now and then .

There are some amps I've heard that kind of accentuate that sound but in my experience that mostly comes from using a really thick pick. Moreso if it's 3mm+ and a slippy material like acrylic. One guitar I used to have had an awkward pickup/tonewood combination (or maybe just a low-quality floating trem) that almost seems to cut down the tail end of a note in a weird way, so when you turn up the gain to compensate for loss in compression the attack of the note sticks out and has this twangy-chirpy quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom