How to get a Ross compressor sound?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I have an AnalogMan Bi-comprossor pedal which is a copy of both a Ross and Orange Squeezer pedal. I especially like the sound of the Ross. I have the attack knob set at 12 o'clock and the sustain knob at 10 0'clock and leave the pedal always on. That adds something nice to the sound with just the right squash and eveness without being too aggressive.

Now I was thinking of selling it to fund another (not a compressor) pedal. But I am unsure if I should keep it or not. I have tried a few times before to get the same sound out of the Axe fx. Tried again today for an hour. But for me something is missing in the compressor block. Not sure what it is. I have tried pedal comp 1 and 2 but somehow I got better results using the studio compressor. But still not quite as nice as the AnalogMan Ross. Any settings that I can try which should come close? All help is welcome.

Last edited:
JFET compressor type matches my grey Ross very well.

Thanks. Isn’t pedal 1 supposed to be a Ross type compressor? I am on Axe fx II (not Ares) so I can’t try the JFET.

Why do you still keep the Ross?

Why do you still keep the Ross?
Gift from the wife and kids and it's super special and rare. I'd never sell it. I still have my Analogman-modded TS-9 too. And all the pedals Empress Effects gave me when I was beta testing and manual writing for them. And a bunch of DIY stuff I built or friends built for me. None of it gets much use, but I still won't part with any of it.

I am on Axe fx II (not Ares) so I can’t try the JFET.
Err. You posted in the III section. Maybe step 1 is get a III? :D I had it working out with Pedal 1 but only for a very, very specific setting. The JFET works very much like the Ross across a broad sweep of its controls.

I've been meaning to do an A/B post about this actually...

Last edited:
Why post in the III section?

Good question...haha. I was hesitating. But there is much more traffic here I think and Axe III people might have some good general compressor setting tips for Axe II people. And I probably will join your gang when the time is right!

Good question...haha. I was hesitating. But there is much more traffic here I think and Axe III people might have some good general compressor setting tips for Axe II people. And I probably will join your gang when the time is right!
Find one of my AFII Trey A presets on the exchange if you want to see Ross-for-Trey settings.

The compressor algorithm in the III is different than the II so the thread has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Back
Top Bottom