How to get a boost switch and use it with the MFC-101?

jetspeed747

Inspired
I'd like to have a switch on my MFC-101 that can be used as a boost for lead parts. How do I put a boost into my patch and then how do I assign that boost to the MFC-101? Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Simple solution:

Put a PEQ or Filter (set to Null) of GEQ at the end of the chain (at least after Amp), increase its Level by the desired amount, and assign a switch on the MFC to engage/bypass the block. Keep the rest of the block parameters at default.

Or try this solution (global boost), which doesn't require any extra blocks (Matt's idea):
Set the CC of an IA switch on the MFC to that of OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level).

I use an external pedal and leave it on momentary, so all I have to do is step on it for the amount of time that I need it. Basically it's set to unbypass a PEQ.

There's several threads about boosting out there. I use a filter block near the end of the chain in every preset so it affects out 1 and out 2, and can be tweaked per preset.

Like others, I put a filter block at the end of my signal chain, set type to null, and add level (usually 2.5 to 3.5 works for me). I set the normal state to bypassed. I assigned one of the IA switches to filter block. When I call up a preset, the filter is bypassed. When I want the boost to kick in, I step on the appropriate IA switch. At the end of my fabulous solo, I either step on the IA switch again, or stepping on the preset switch calls back the normal state, and my volume is back where it was. Works great for me.

Like others, I put a filter block at the end of my signal chain, set type to null, and add level (usually 2.5 to 3.5 works for me). I set the normal state to bypassed. I assigned one of the IA switches to filter block. When I call up a preset, the filter is bypassed. When I want the boost to kick in, I step on the appropriate IA switch. At the end of my fabulous solo, I either step on the IA switch again, or stepping on the preset switch calls back the normal state, and my volume is back where it was. Works great for me.

+1

If you tie output 1 and output 2 to the same CC on the Axe-Fx it would work.

I don't, because I use output 2 for the FX Loop.

Edit : oops Yek beat me to it... You can do it either way, set the Output 2 to be the same cc number as output 1 Or add a second CC to the IA switch on the MFC as Yek suggests.

Interesting. I have an LF+ and tried the same trick. This works great when the iA is active (bypassed or on). But I need to press the IA button first to activate the IA to get the volume damping effect.
Hmm, maybe that is confusing. I'll try to describe it another way.

In the LF, an IA state can be
- Off (not present in the preset)
- Bypassed (present, but off by default)
- On (present, and on my default)

When I setup the Midi command I'm setting it up so that "On" is full volume (CC value is 127) and "Bypassed" is lesser volume (CC value is 111).

I figured Output 1 would be an IA that is active by default in all presets.

What I want to happen is that when I switch to a new preset,
- By default the IA is bypassed (so reduced volume).
- Next press turns the IA on so the volume is increased.

However what happens is:
- by default, the IA is off completely and so has no effect. Since the effect is to reduce volume, what happens is that at the start of a preset the volume is at full
- I can then press the IA. That turns the IA on - effect of On = full volume
- Next press turns off the IA. That turns the IA off = lower volume.

I think it is an initialization problem that I'm having - I'm sure its just not setup right. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work properly?

Why not use the method that M@ suggested.... This way it is a global boost and not restricted to a preset and does not use a block / CPU Cycles....

Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

This is what I use, works really well.

It does indeed, but I do not have the exact same level boost on every patch. Using the filter block at the end of the chain allows me some variability in each patch to boost as needed. I bought a Boss footswitch (dual) and now use that for boost. I keep it by my feet because for live stage use, I really use the boost a lot. I set the other switch to X/Y the AMP. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom