How To Fly With Axe-Fx?

I have flown with my Axe a few times. Never dared to check it in as luggage, so I take it as hand luggage. Gator used to make a 2U backpack-style rack bag that I use. I have also used just a normal 2U rack bag (to make it as light as possible). It is slightly larger and heavier than most airlines allow for hand luggage, but it has not been a problem :) Midi board, toothbrush, and everything else then goes under the plane.

Regards,
Jesper

Thanks for the tip on the Gator backpack. It looks like it would work perfectly! When you say "hand luggage," do you mean that it's small enough to count as a "personal item" that can be stored under the seat? Or a regular carry on item stowed in the overhead compartments?

I flew from the West Coast to Boston, checked my guitar (Parker Fly....pretty nervous with that), brought a small MIDI pedal I use for a backup and my AxFx in a padded backpack (I saw a video where Larry Mitchell did this a few years back). I felt like I could borrow a guitar if necessary, but not the AxFx.

Strap it to your back and flap your arms really fast.

I'll have to word my threads more carefully next time! :lol

But hey Cliff, you know this better than anyone. How well can the Axe-Fx II withstand being tossed around and/or dropped by airport baggage handlers while in a Tour Supply 6U Rack? (Approx. 50 lbs total) I'm not crazy enough to try and test that out myself. :mrgreen

It'd be great to hear from people who've actually FLOWN with the Axe Fx.

I've flown trans-atlantic with my Axe twice and in Europe a number of times now.

My strategy is
1) Axe Fx with rack ears taken off goes in my cabin bag
2) MFC and exp pedal goes in my suit case wrapped in a towel or clothes
3) Guitars go in my Mono dual gig bag.
4) for fly gigs I relay on venue supplied FRFR monitors or IEM

and this part I think is important - I show up early, look for a someone looking a little service minded and not stressed out and I approach them very politely and asks if he or she will ask the cabin crew if my guitars can go in the cabin closet as they are valuable instruments and fragile. Sometimes it a immediate "of course you can bring your guitars onboard sir" sometimes they need to check first - but I'll never experienced not being allowed to carry the guitars on board myself and stowing them in the plane. On more than one occasion the cabin closet has been full with wheelchairs, rollers or baby carriers but at those times a member of the cabin crew has each time found a different spot for the guitars like in the crews own coat looker.
If I had demanded that they'd find room for the guitars or had shown up with multiple bags and expected to bring many things into the plane I sure I've gotten a no to all of it, but bringing one small cabin bag, one regular size suit case and a gig bag and being polite works for me every time FWIW.

Last edited:
Forget it Zwiebelchen, I know in theory it is our right, but I was forced several times to still check in my guitars. Everything was fine until boarding started, where a "very nice" crew member told me the guitars would have to be checked in, that she would not allow them as cabin baggage. We showed her our written confirmation (which we got from the flight company) stating we would be allowed to take the guitars as cabin baggage, but she only said she doesn't care, either the guitars would be checked in or we would not fly. So much about our rights. That's why I definitely suggest getting proper cases.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

I've been lucky when carrying guitars. I say LUCKY. But on more than a few occasions I had to fight with attendants. Once I had to wait for the next plane because there simply wasn't room for my guitar. So I decided to get flight cases for them and just paid the extra for baggage. It saves the aggravation.

But it still doesn't handle the Axe Fx or pedal board. I have one of the Pedal Train cases. You think that would be sufficient?

I've been lucky when carrying guitars. I say LUCKY. But on more than a few occasions I had to fight with attendants. Once I had to wait for the next plane because there simply wasn't room for my guitar. So I decided to get flight cases for them and just paid the extra for baggage. It saves the aggravation.

But it still doesn't handle the Axe Fx or pedal board. I have one of the Pedal Train cases. You think that would be sufficient?

I've flown with another midi board in a pedal train case, that worked ok.
My vote for the Axe is still to put it in your cabin roller bag - fits in there easily, especially if you unscrew the rack ears

I've flown trans-atlantic with my Axe twice and in Europe a number of times now.

My strategy is
1) Axe Fx with rack ears taken off goes in my cabin bag
2) MFC and exp pedal goes in my suit case wrapped in a towel or clothes
3) Guitars go in my Mono dual gig bag.
4) for fly gigs I relay on venue supplied FRFR monitors or IEM

and this part I think is important - I show up early, look for a someone looking a little service minded and not stressed out and I approach them very politely and asks if he or she will ask the cabin crew if my guitars can go in the cabin closet as they are valuable instruments and fragile. Sometimes it a immediate "of course you can bring your guitars onboard sir" sometimes they need to check first - but I'll never experienced not being allowed to carry the guitars on board myself and stowing them in the plane. On more than one occasion the cabin closet has been full with wheelchairs, rollers or baby carriers but at those times a member of the cabin crew has each time found a different spot for the guitars like in the crews own coat looker.
If I had demanded that they'd find room for the guitars or had shown up with multiple bags and expected to bring many things into the plane I sure I've gotten a no to all of it, but bringing one small cabin bag, one regular size suit case and a gig bag and being polite works for me every time FWIW.

That Mono Dual gig bag is a nice find; they look very convenient and handy. But DANG that is one expensive gig bag!

Business opportunity: somebody, Fractal Audio or otherwise, needs to make a bag specifically for transporting the Axe Fx. I'd buy one in every color. Especially if they have a nifty red-blue-and-gold sparkly one.

Forget it Zwiebelchen, I know in theory it is our right, but I was forced several times to still check in my guitars. Everything was fine until boarding started, where a "very nice" crew member told me the guitars would have to be checked in, that she would not allow them as cabin baggage. We showed her our written confirmation (which we got from the flight company) stating we would be allowed to take the guitars as cabin baggage, but she only said she doesn't care, either the guitars would be checked in or we would not fly. So much about our rights. That's why I definitely suggest getting proper cases.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk
As I said... that only applies to the US. In europe, things are different, unfortunately.

It's always good to know your rights:

You CAN Carry On Your Guitar. It

This only applies to the US, though.

In the european union, the right to carry or not to carry an instrument as hand baggage depends on the airlines, so make sure to make your calls before you book! However, there's something going on in terms of having a unified european law:
http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/wp...FIM-recommendations-Instruments-on-Planes.pdf

I have done some traveling with Axe, but travel with guitars all the time. The Axe I have packed in suitcase padded very well with clothing and checked it. I have put it in a carry on, and taken on plane. I have used a gator rackbag with wheels and carried on. Never on tour so not as critical as the guys actually getting paid for this stuff.

As far as guitars, I pretty much always get to take it on board. Regional Jets or turboprops the guitar will not fit. I have gate checked in those cases and crossed fingers.

You are correct that those rules apply only to US flights. On wide body planes the guitar usually will not fit in overheads and definitely will not fit in business or first class. That makes closet room essential. So far I have always had luck in finding closet space.

The one almost issue was flying LAN from Buenos Aires to Chile. The gate attendant was a luggage nazi. I checked in and gave my american airlines card to get credit for miles and priority boarding pass since I am exec platinum on American. LAN and American are both one world. Great. Get to gate and when they start boarding I get up to enter as they are boarding first class. The grumpy gate attendant tells me to sit down and wait till the rest of the plane boards. I say I am priority. She says, but I need to make sure your guitar fits. I say. . "if you make me wait till last, it probably won't, that is why I am boarding now". She refuses. I make it clear that I am a VERY good one world customer and if Guitar doesn't get on plane, neither do I.

She literally checked every carry on suitcase in the rack they have to measure baggage. She had a look on her face as if she hated her job and customers. Finally, they allow me on last. I sit down, and she takes my guitar in the back to stow it. There is now no room for my rolling laptop bag. Woman comes back with my guitar and says no room, she will gate check it. I grab guitar and laptop bag and walk off the plane. I then tell gate agent to get me on another flight. She was also in a bad mood so I head to admirals club and ask for manager.

LAN manager shows up and apologizes profusely. He agrees with me 100% and gets me on next flight, with first class upgrade. When I board next flight the baggage nazi was fuming. I decided to take the time to explain her stupidity to her. On the prior flight there were a bunch of people literally running to make the flight in time. I asked her, how mad someone that just made their flight would be if their carry on with socks and underwear had to be checked. She replied, not much, they do it all the time. I said so you pissed off a really good customer who was at the gate 2.5 hours before flight, so that you have room for people that arrive late and would not get mad if you gate checked their bags?

Funny part is two days ago I flew buenos aires to santiago chile again and that same idiot was working ticket counter. Same ticked off look on face and I think she remembered me andlooked even more pissed when she saw gig bag on my back. This time the gate agents and flight crew were great. The plane was wide body and guitar didn't fit in overhead so flight attendant found space in closet and had it out and ready when I was getting off plane. LAN is usually great in Peru, Colombia, and Chile. Crappy in Argentina and crappy in Ecuador.

Basically you can be at the mercy of what mood the airline folks are in. If possible, fly same airline or at least same frequent flyers group so as to reach a higher status. They are more likely to accommodate a customer that has flown millions of miles with them or an elite level customer.

Back
Top Bottom