How To Fly With Axe-Fx?

The case I described happened in the US ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Which airline? Was flight full? Were you amongst the last to board or first to board? I always try to board first. Usually they only start juggling carry ons when the overheads are starting to fill up.
That is where flying same airline pays off. . . .

We know all the tricks, so yes, we have been the first ones to board (and I mean the very first ones), the flight was not full and as far as I remember it was American Airlines. We were coming from a South American tour where we were flying every day through 12 countries, with zero problems. This flight was just supposed to take us from Dallas to LA, from where we were going to Australia, and this lady decided to not let us enter the plane unless we checked in the guitars. We always have those kind of problems in the US and Japan, most other countries are fine. And yes, whenever it is possible we stick to star Alliance and we have frequent flyer status as well. All this doesn't protect you when you have to deal with the wrong guy people.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Only worry I would have about using a padded bag to carry the Axe as carry on baggage is what do you do when you get to the other end and it ends up on the tour in the back of the truck with the rest of the stuff that is all flight cased?
Also, most promoters will book the cheapest flights they can (budget airlines) and the Axe is too big to go in the little device they have to measure for their meagre carry on baggage dimensions.
In those cases, it will end up in the hold anyway. That is why I just take it in a 2u shock mount flight case. That way, it gets on the plane with no hassle and survives the gigs where it is thrown in with the rest of the rental gear :)

Here's how. This pic is from ATL airport last month.... The Gator will fit in the overhead. Usually the flight attendants will let you put the guitar in the closet; if not, it fits in overhead also. Cables and a couple foot pedals fit in the gator case. I check the MFC inside a suitcase, but would not check the Axe FX.
IMG_0152.jpg

Hey guys, just a heads . Some of you know I fly a lot with my gear. Recently southwest air tran list my checked bag. In it was my MFC MK 3 wrapped up along with clothes CDs to sell a cable and expression pedal.. I had to resort to posting on social media to speed things up but the settled for not what I wanted money wise! I will for now on travel with recipes and photos for everything I bring, from the cost of the suit case to all gear. Also if you have to file a claim make sure you put down anything that doesn't gave a receipt is from the current year. They depreciate everything. The older it is the less. I would have preferred replacement value for everything. I fly with my axe fx II now XL in either a 2space rack bag or a custom oversized laptop case. My guitars in a double gig bag that is small and customized for flying. It fits in pretty much all overhead compartments.
Side note southwest and delta have lost my checked bag 4 tines between them but always on the return flights from shows and have always found it right away and had it sent. Thus time I'm not sure how they lost my bag on a direct flight from Boston to Atlanta? But they did. Actually we thing someone in Boston stole it. Baggage!!! :0) best of luck to us all flying with gear! :0)

Back
Top Bottom