How to fit FM9 into a 19" compatible/hybrid enclosure ?

BobXX

Inspired
Seem a weird question since FM9 is a little larger than 19" and there's AF3 already as a rackmount system.
Anyway, has anyone managed to fit the FM9 into a 19" compatible rack, or in an hybrid enclosure where I can to FM9 floor unit a 2U 19" 140mm short device ?
I already have a "big rack" with AXE FX3, big and heavy, not suitable for all gigs, I want to build a much more compact and light backup solution using FM9, maintaining its footswitches' use.

Last edited:
Obviously, doing this would void any warranty. But you might be able to do it if you take out the foot controllers and use an FC-6 or FC-12 (or MIDI controller). If you know what you're doing with electronics, it's probably doable, but it seems like a lot of work to have a 2U device instead of a 3U FX3.

What if you remove the rubber side bumpers? I like mine on the floor where I can get to it, but I can see those that use a sequencer being into this.

I'd use a suitably-sized bag or case. My FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which has a little extra space on either end, about 3" total, and my Studio Slips bag that fits the board has just enough room for two Dunlop (X) Mini expression pedals, or Fractal's EV-2 pedals. It's a reasonable size that's easy to carry through a crowd.

This forum never disappoints. How would a rackmounted Axe III not be suitable for a gig but a somehow rackmounted FM9 be suitable?
Oh SinglecutGuy without faith... :grinning:
Because my rack with AXE FXIII is an 8U as full as an egg, heavy and requiring forcibly the external foot controller.
NOT suitable for all concerts... yeah:
for example when times are tight, confined spaces, or there are 5 bands sharing the same stage, or you cannot rely on help to transport the equipment, line check in 10 minutes... blablabla...
I've done over 400 gigs, so I well know what I need... :rolleyes:

I already have a lighter, shorter and "quicker" 4U backup system with BOSS GT PRO, and I wanted to replace it with a "compatible" solution with FM9 (already purchased) adding a very short 2U rack device + other little ones, joined together somehow, e.g. with a HYBRID enclosure.

I'm not stupid enough to spend money without having a clear idea of what to do, and my current best one is to join a pedalboard with a self-made rear support for the 2U unit, than use a Pelikan-like enclosure for transportation.
In my simulations using FM9 that way everything will stay in less than 4U heigth.
Another advantage using FM9: for the worst cases I could even give up using the external foot controllers' array for a more modular flexibility. Pls don't ask why use an external foot controllers array if FM9 already have buttons... ;)

Maybe here there are people who has already addressed my same need.
That's why I'm asking (and make some other people laugh) !!

Last edited:
I'd use a suitably-sized bag or case. My FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which has a little extra space on either end, about 3" total, and my Studio Slips bag that fits the board has just enough room for two Dunlop (X) Mini expression pedals, or Fractal's EV-2 pedals. It's a reasonable size that's easy to carry through a crowd.
If your Duo 24 only has room for your FM9, why use a pedalboard at all?

If your Duo 24 only has room for your FM9, why use a pedalboard at all?
To protect all the ports. Everything I use is routed using low-profile XLR and 1/4” TRS to either end of the board using the Temple Audio mods.

The first time I took my FM3 out, a drunk singer stepped on the standard size OUT 1L XLR and broke it. I lost the channel’s sound and couldn’t tell what happened until I got home. Luckily the pins in the shell were what broke and the unit itself was fine, but I was never going through that again.

There are photos of the rig in one of the threads. It’d take a determined attempt to break it now.

Seem a weird question since FM9 is a little larger than 19" and there's AF3 already as a rackmount system.
Anyway, has anyone managed to fit the FM9 into a 19" compatible rack, or in an hybrid enclosure where I can to FM9 floor unit a 2U 19" 140mm short device ?
I already have a "big rack" with AXE FX3, big and heavy, not suitable for all gigs, I want to build a much more compact and light backup solution using FM9, maintaining its footswitches' use.

Maybe something like this with a drawer? Maybe the FM9 would fit in the drawer at an angle? You would just have to do some custom padding to keep it snug.

You would have to remove FM9 and set it on stage to use the switches of course.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...2dr-ata-style-rack-flight-case-with-drawer-2u

It would be easier and safer to order custom made rack with drawer fro FM9 and custom rails (narrower) fro 19' unit. It can be closed in 4U unit. I have seen such case some time ago with valve head and 2U 19' effect below . Similar to picture, but smaller.
1694803977478.png

The first time I took my FM3 out, a drunk singer stepped on the standard size OUT 1L XLR and broke it. I lost the channel’s sound and couldn’t tell what happened until I got home. Luckily the pins in the shell were what broke and the unit itself was fine, but I was never going through that again.

Have experienced this exact scenario myself. Infuriating! Have enough to worry about with drunks in the audience. Low profile cabling, grand idea. Much better than having to tape off the perimeter, play from a remote corner of the stage, or surround my rig with shrubbery. :cool:

To protect all the ports. Everything I use is routed using low-profile XLR and 1/4” TRS to either end of the board using the Temple Audio mods.

There are photos of the rig in one of the threads. It’d take a determined attempt to break it now.
"Murphy-proofing" is a thing....

Have experienced this exact scenario myself. Infuriating! Have enough to worry about with drunks in the audience. Low profile cabling, grand idea. Much better than having to tape off the perimeter, play from a remote corner of the stage, or surround my rig with shrubbery. :cool:

No shrubbery?

NI!

Personally, I like ocotillo, carefully interwoven into a "Mexican Fence"....

Last edited:
Hilarious! I hadn't considered cactus. Going to have to develop some gardening skills and work a more agrarian or Western theme into our performances.
It’s a real thing and something we see when driving south, and in some neighborhoods around the city. The ocotillo will actually put down roots and eventually will become a spiked living wall.

Back
Top Bottom