how to dial in „strymon timeline“ - like delays

an_haus

hey,
I am loving my fm3 so far and the sounds I can get out of it. But I still struggle to dial in delay sounds. On my traditional pedalbord I am using a strymon timeline. I mostly use delay for clean/big/ambient delays. But the delays I dial in on the fm3 are, in comparison to the timeline, a little bit thin and flat sounding.

has anybody some tips for dialing in those kind of delays? :)

Here's an older video @2112 did with the timeline:

Some of the sounds you might be looking for could be in a different block type than just "Delay". I use the "Plex Delay" blocks mostly for those giant/ambient tones and sometimes in combination with the "cloud" options in the Reverb block.

hey,
I am loving my fm3 so far and the sounds I can get out of it. But I still struggle to dial in delay sounds. On my traditional pedalbord I am using a strymon timeline. I mostly use delay for clean/big/ambient delays. But the delays I dial in on the fm3 are, in comparison to the timeline, a little bit thin and flat sounding.

has anybody some tips for dialing in those kind of delays? :)
I usually lower both the High Cut and Low Cut in the Delay EQ to thicken them up. This allows for a higher Mix which helps quite a bit IME. Also play with the Filter Slope, higher value/steeper cut on the highs, lower value/more gentle slope on the lows seems to be what works for me.

thanks! your tips already helped me a lot!
probably a noob question but, even if I pick a stereo model of a delay, I only can hear it from the middle. Output is set to stereo, reverb is also stereo.
Is there any parameter I am missing so that the stereo delays are left and right?

Do you have the delay in the chain before or after the amp block? Amp block sums to mono if I recall correctly.

I have it after the amp block. might try that. but if the amp block sums to mono, wouldnt the reverb also be mono?

I have it after the amp block. might try that. but if the amp block sums to mono, wouldnt the reverb also be mono?
Anything in front of the Amp block will get summed to mono by the Amp block.

There's something somewhere in your signal chain that's summing your delay to mono.

thanks! your tips already helped me a lot!
probably a noob question but, even if I pick a stereo model of a delay, I only can hear it from the middle. Output is set to stereo, reverb is also stereo.
Is there any parameter I am missing so that the stereo delays are left and right?
What is your setup with the Axe? Using the Axe III as your interface or another audio interface?

EDIT: What is the Spread parameter in the Delay Basic page set to?

found the solution in another thread. lowering the value of "L/R Time Ratio" creates the desired effect. the delays are now seperated into L and R :)

found the solution in another thread. lowering the value of "L/R Time Ratio" creates the desired effect. the delays are now seperated into L and R :)
Ah, that explains it. By setting the L/R time ratio to 100%, you had the left and right delays firing at exactly the same time, which will sound like a centered, mono delay.

Back
Top Bottom