How to connect Boss RC

CJY

Hi All,

I own an FM3. I also have a Boss RC-3 looper. I would like to connect the looper to the FM3 but I am not sure how to do that without affecting the sound.

Will be happy to hear your input on this.

Thank you

Probably should have posted in the FM3 discussion area and not Axe Fx III... ;)

What Cliff said except use Input/Output 2 as the FM3 doesn't 3/4 :)

Hey guys, I have a similar question. Well I'm a little confused about the answers, not being that well-versed in FM 3 and the RC 600 that I'm trying to hook up. So I hooked up the RC 600 to the FM three using input/output So I hooked up the RC 600 to the FM 3 using Input/Output 2. Here is a screenshot of FM three-edit. What am I doing wrong?Image 5-26-22 at 2.21 PM.jpg

Hey guys, I have a similar question. Well I'm a little confused about the answers, not being that well-versed in FM 3 and the RC 600 that I'm trying to hook up. So I hooked up the RC 600 to the FM three using input/output So I hooked up the RC 600 to the FM 3 using Input/Output 2. Here is a screenshot of FM three-edit. What am I doing wrong?View attachment 102598
You have put the FM3’s looper in the grid.

Thanks, chris! So I put the FM 3 Looper in the grid. Here are 2 pictures. It does not work yet. How do I connect the looper block with the RC 600? Thanks again for your help!

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.41.29 AM.png

Attachments

• Looper in grid.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Looper in grid.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 2
You do NOT use the FM3's Looper Block to connect an external looper. Use the Output 2 and Input 2 Blocks and connect your external looper to the corresponding jacks on the rear of the FM3.

Thanks Knaggster, thanks for the help and sorry to be dense but I did hook it up the way you said with output two turned up on the FM 3 and still no signal from the RC 600. I have tested the cables and the guitar is getting through, but not the looper. Do I need to do something with the I/O settings?

I thought I posted this last week, but I just found out that I did not. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks Knaggster, thanks for the help and sorry to be dense but I did hook it up the way you said with output two turned up on the FM 3 and still no signal from the RC 600. I have tested the cables and the guitar is getting through, but not the looper. Do I need to do something with the I/O settings?

I thought I posted this last week, but I just found out that I did not. Thanks again for the help!

Right now, I have my Boss RC-500 connected after my FM9. So my FM9 Output 1 jack goes to the Boss' Input, and from the Boss output to my FRFR cab (actually via a mixer, but that's irrelevant to the signal chain). If you really want your Looper to be part of your internal signal chain, I will see if I can set it up that way and post the Preset if it works :)

Just threw this Preset together and it works. I still prefer to run it after the FM9 since that way, I don't need to modify multiple patches to accommodate the looper. You would use In 2/Out 2 on the FM3.

Looper.jpg

That's fantastic! The looper is now running through the FM3. But now a weird thing is happening. The guitar going into input 1 on the FM3 is barely working. I have to turn up the input 1 on the FM3 level fully to get even a soft guitar sound through the amps. I should say that when I get rid of the output 2/input2 the guitar sounds like it should. Sorry to keep bothering you with these things, but I'm very grateful for the help!

That's fantastic! The looper is now running through the FM3. But now a weird thing is happening. The guitar going into input 1 on the FM3 is barely working. I have to turn up the input 1 on the FM3 level fully to get even a soft guitar sound through the amps. I should say that when I get rid of the output 2/input2 the guitar sounds like it should. Sorry to keep bothering you with these things, but I'm very grateful for the help!

I'm finding the same thing actually. Unless you want to use headphones, it really is better to simply connect it between the FM3 and the speaker.

So, I was fooling around and came up with this and it works. Guitar and looper together, that is. See what you think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 1.57.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 1.57.59 PM.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
Make shure you have the levels 2 on the front of the Fm3 on full when using your looper. When you use send and return on the Fm3 the level 2 controls the volume that goes to your looper. So if the level 2 is low, the signal that goes to your looper will be low.

Make shure you have the levels 2 on the front of the Fm3 on full when using your looper. When you use send and return on the Fm3 the level 2 controls the volume that goes to your looper. So if the level 2 is low, the signal that goes to your looper will be low.
Great point!

Thanks Patrick! I know this is weird, but the looper works with level two off on the FM three. It seems like level one controls the volume for the looper and the guitar.

Thats weird. I need to have level 2 on full to avoid volume loss when using a loop pedal with the Fm3. Have you connected things correctly? You need to connect the fx send to the input of the looper, and the fx return to the output of the looper. Then you need to have out2 and in2 on the grid of your preset. Then you should connect the guitar to the input of your Fm3. If you do that level2 will control how much signal is sendt to your looper, and level1 will control the overall volume of the Fm3. I usually have level1 on 50% and level2 on 100% when using a looper.

While adding the RC-500 looper into the setup(s), as suggested in a number of ways above, to interface with the FM3/FM9, I am trying to figure out the best way to control the FM3 scenes and preset changes using the RC-500 midi out and its ft switches. In other words the FM3/9 is in the background while the looper controls basically the loop show and the FM3/9 control the guitar sounds. At the moment it looks like adding a simple dual ft switch such as the Boss FS-6 to control some parameters/functions on the RC-500 and in turn the midi out to the FM3/9 looks like a good possibility. Trying to make the footprint as small and easy to use as possible. If any ideas on this please post on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom