How to change volume level in the same amp but in two different scenes

Ubaldo

Welcome to everyone. I have been trying to figure it out in the manual but nothing is listed. So I turn to you who are certainly more experienced than I am. I have a preset, I have 6 scenes and they all use the same amplifier. However, in one I would like to increase the volume of the amplifier without changing the volumes of the other scenes. How can this be done? Surely it's super simple but I can't do it, can you help me? thanks as always....

Welcome to everyone. I have been trying to figure it out in the manual but nothing is listed. So I turn to you who are certainly more experienced than I am. I have a preset, I have 6 scenes and they all use the same amplifier. However, in one I would like to increase the volume of the amplifier without changing the volumes of the other scenes. How can this be done? Surely it's super simple but I can't do it, can you help me? thanks as always....
First, copy the current amp channel to all channels, then switch to a different amp channel in the scene you want to be louder, and turn up the amp level in that channel...save the preset......done.

First, copy the current amp channel to all channels, then switch to a different amp channel in the scene you want to be louder, and turn up the amp level in that channel...save the preset......done.
Copying to all channels will work, unless of course, you have others in use already.

Better to just copy to an unused channel.

Or use Scene Controllers as mentioned.

Or add a Volume block or Filter (Null type) after the Amp block and enable it on the scene that needs to be louder. Adjust as needed...

1. Changing Amp channels... Easy to setup, easy to edit. But you will have a gap.
  2. Scene Controller... Not as easy to setup, or edit. But no gap. And you can use some 'Damping' to smoothly morph the level.
  3. Using the 'Scene Level' faders in the Output block... No setup (it's always there), easy to edit. But the level increases and decreases will also affect any reverb and delay 'tails' when switching scenes.
  4. Using a low CPU 'Filter' block that is active in only that scene, placed after the Amp/Cab, before any Delays/Reverb... Easy to setup, easy to edit, level changes don't affect 'tails', no gap. And the added benefit of doing some EQ shaping (if needed) at the same time at no extra CPU cost. Some Low and High Cuts, with a targeted mid boost?

Last edited:
Or add a Volume block or Filter (Null type) after the Amp block and enable it on the scene that needs to be louder. Adjust as needed...

Using a low CPU 'Filter' block that is active in only that scene, placed after the Amp/Cab, before any Delays/Reverb... Easy to setup, easy to edit, level changes don't affect 'tails', no gap. And the added benefit of doing some EQ shaping (if needed) at the same time at no extra CPU cost. Some Low and High Cuts, with a targeted mid boost?
Sounds like a filter block is the way to go.....win/win. biggrin.gif

Sounds like a filter block is the way to go.....win/win. View attachment 120268
I use them all of the time. Sometimes before the Amp for per-scene 'gain' increases and/or decreases, and possible pre-EQ changes. And after the Amp for per-scene 'volume' increases and/or decreases, and possible post-EQ changes. And they can change channels for different values (and/or EQ) for different scenes.

Last edited:
  1. Changing Amp channels... Easy to setup, easy to edit. But you will have a gap.
  2. Scene Controller... Not as easy to setup, or edit. But no gap. And you can use some 'Damping' to smoothly morph the level.
  3. Using the 'Scene Level' faders in the Output block... No setup (it's always there), easy to edit. But the level increases and decreases will also affect any reverb and delay 'tails' when switching scenes.
  4. Using a low CPU 'Filter' block that is active in only that scene, placed after the Amp/Cab, before any Delays/Reverb... Easy to setup, easy to edit, level changes don't affect 'tails', no gap. And the added benefit of doing some EQ shaping (if needed) at the same time at no extra CPU cost. Some Low and High Cuts, with a targeted mid boost?
Having used them all, I lean toward #1 because it works with the Preset Leveling Tool. The rest lead to various degrees of fiddling.

For a long time I used a Control Switch to enable a GEQ block with a +3-4dB level, which worked well because I could also adjust the tonality if I wanted. I adjusted my layouts so that switch was available on the Scene and Effect layouts.

Eventually I decided it wasn't really buying me anything special though, because I treat most of my presets as if they're a single channel amp and control my volume from my guitar, so it'll get louder as I turn up the guitar making using the GEQ+CS redundant.

Since we are talking about the FM9 here, I was thinking it was about the FM3. I didn't include the one that I would most likely use in this situation..

Two Amp blocks...
  1. Copy your Amp settings to a second Amp block placed in a Parallel path around Amp 1.
  2. Set both amp blocks to 'Mute' when bypassed. (skip 2 through 4 if using the 'Multiplexer' block)
  3. Set Amp one to only be bypassed (muted) in the one scene that needs to be louder.
  4. Set Amp block 2 to be bypassed in all scenes but the one scene that needs to be louder.
  5. Go to that scene with Amp 2 active.
  6. Set it's 'Level' parameter to the new boosted level desired.
You can also leave both Amp blocks 'On' in all scenes and use a 'Multiplexer' block placed where the two parallel Amps come back together. And use channels to select which row/Amp is being used for each scene.

Simpleton answer here. I found easiest way if it's the same amp etc is copy it to the new scene. The go to the output block and bump it a few db for that louder scene. Pretty simple.

Simpleton answer here. I found easiest way if it's the same amp etc is copy it to the new scene. The go to the output block and bump it a few db for that louder scene. Pretty simple.
That's the way I have my current setup, but I've started to mess with the filter block for a mid and volume boost for solos. I'll see which I prefer when I get done fiddling...

I have done this a couple different ways. One is to use different Output block channels. Another is to use a filter block as a boost. I like the latter because I can engage it in any scene on-the-fly.

1. Изменение каналов усилителя... Легко настроить, легко редактировать. Но у вас будет пробел.
  2. Контроллер сцены... Не так просто настроить или отредактировать. Но без пробела. И вы можете использовать немного «демпфирования», чтобы плавно трансформировать уровень.
  3. Использование фейдеров «Уровень сцены» в блоке вывода... Никаких настроек (всегда есть), легко редактировать. Но увеличение и уменьшение уровня также повлияет на любую реверберацию и «хвосты» задержки при переключении сцен.
  4. Использование блока «Фильтр» с низкой загрузкой процессора, который активен только в этой сцене, размещен после усилителя/кабинета, перед любой задержкой/реверберацией... Простота настройки, простота редактирования, изменения уровня не влияют на «хвосты», нет зазор. И дополнительное преимущество в том, что вы выполняете некоторое формирование эквалайзера (при необходимости) в то же время без дополнительных затрат на ЦП. Некоторые низкие и высокие частоты с целевым усилением середины?
Тhank you!!! I'm FM3 user

On most of my presets I use control switch 3 to toggle the level of the cab block between 0dB and +2.5dB for a truly transparent clean boost. Uses effectively zero CPU, requires no additional blocks, can be toggled with a per preset footswitch or the CS per scene tab on the controllers page, and leaves the amp blocks' level parameters unaffected. That last one is important for me because I use the amp blocks' level parameters to level match different presets and live I usually use two amp blocks in stereo. So while building the preset I need to be able to adjust their level parameters so they meter the same. That process is much easier if they're not assigned to a control switch so I don't have to right click on the knob or do any math to get to the 2.5dB difference and manually assign the min/max values every time I need to make an adjustment.

Last edited:
You could map the scene controller to the per-preset perform page for quick access.
IMO, no need. Not only PP can't fit all of them (if you need to adjust Gain, you most likely need to adjust MV and output level), but it's not hard to press C once and "page >>" a few more times to get to "Scene Ctrl" page where all of them are available.

5. Use a VolPan after the amp. This also gives you a volume knob you can attach to a pedal for fading in/out and/or just muting your rig when needed. One of my CC pedals is a dedicated volume pedal, one is a dedicated wah, and the other two are for expression pedal duties....

Back
Top Bottom