How to avoid feedback/squealing when dialing between settings

atmmusic_wi

First, thanks to everyone for the many things I have learned from this forum. Totally enjoying my AxeIII.

While in my studio, I find that dialing from one preset to another can result in tremendous high frequency feedback. I'm not playing all that loud but I am close to the speaker. That said, if it were a guitar amp I'd be fine at that volume level. Other than mod each patch, any advice.

I use a foot pedal to modulate volume. Also guitar vol knob. Manages most issues for me.

Sounds like your guitar responds/resonates at high freqs from your tweeters? Or lack of the dreaded killer dispersion beam, notorious in traditional cab rigs?

First, thanks to everyone for the many things I have learned from this forum. Totally enjoying my AxeIII.

While in my studio, I find that dialing from one preset to another can result in tremendous high frequency feedback. I'm not playing all that loud but I am close to the speaker. That said, if it were a guitar amp I'd be fine at that volume level. Other than mod each patch, any advice.
the process of changing presets wouldn't cause feedback. not sure what's going on here without preset uploads or audio examples.

To be more specific, using factory presets such as CA3+ or Tremolo Deluxe I adjust set up to a good volume (output and my Atomic amps). Then I will dial to another preset and while passing over high gain presets get high frequency feedback. This sort of thing would be a huge issue live. I am three feet in front of the Atomic amp/cabinet but it should not do this.

To be more specific, using factory presets such as CA3+ or Tremolo Deluxe I adjust set up to a good volume (output and my Atomic amps). Then I will dial to another preset and while passing over high gain presets get high frequency feedback. This sort of thing would be a huge issue live. I am three feet in front of the Atomic amp/cabinet but it should not do this.
Do you have EQ for Hi and Low Cuts or tame those in the Cab? Maybe there is a frequency getting through that is causing the feedback....

Good idea. There is a tweeter level adjustment on the Atomic. Its set halfway to max so I can turn down. I'll mess with it later and see if this addresses it.

turn your guitar volume knob down if you need to pass through other presets to get to the one you want. this is standard for any gear when passing through various sounds.

but to avoid this completely, most use a controller of some type that can directly access the sound you want. you don't see Journey go 1, 2, 3, 4 to get to Preset 5. they hit one button and go to the sound they want. so just a thought for using this gear live.

Turning tweeter boost on Atomic definitely helped but there are still a few offenders. Also agree for controller need so I'm not sequentially stepping thru presets in a live situation. Seems however like a "normalizer" global setting could be added to the AxeIII that when enabled, analyzes each preset and adjust the outputs so all are similar.

I play high gain and live with CLR's and in my studio with Yamaha speakers and sit right at my desk and or face my Atomics live and never get any feedback unless I want to and hold a chord or notes wide open while getting really close to the speakers and I get nice feedback like an amp but no high Squeals ever. Maybe something is set wrong?

Thanks everyone. I won't have time to dig into this until after the holiday but I think something is off somewhere. I now know its not normal which is a huge help.

My guess is you're using one of the old Atomic Reactor cabs. Those are extremely prone to tweeter squeal due to the unshielded tweeter. Get some better monitors.

Back
Top Bottom