How the Edge changed the sound of guitar playing forever: 17 guitarists share their favorite U2 moments

My favorite moment was cranking an Axe-Fx Ultra into a Matrix amp -- alligator clipped to the speakers in an AC30 -- and jamming with Edge on Bullet the Blue Sky in the back room at S.I.R.

When it got loud, his face lit up with a real smile and the stress of a crazy week for both of us just seemed to melt away.

Last edited:
My favorite moment was cranking an Axe-Fx Ultra and jacked into a Matrix amp alligator clipped to the speakers in an AC30 cab and jamming with Edge on Bullet the Blue Sky in the back room at S.I.R.

When it got loud, his face lit up with a real smile and the stress of a crazy week for both of us just seemed to melt away.
Beyond envious!

There are few things more satisfying than hitting that low E string on a Strat., at the start of Bullet! ZooTV was my first U2 concert, in Toronto, 1992. The solo on the Zoo version is beyond awesome. He plays the entire solo with a full size slide in his right hand too!

I think this one encapsulates everything I like about The Edge"

Timothy Showalter (Strand of Oaks)

“There’s an emotional factor to everything U2 does; it just plays into everything I love. I’m not a shredder, and it’s never been my goal to be an acrobat on the guitar. I want to convey emotion – and that’s what the Edge does.

“He gave a lot of inspiration to guitarists who may never be the premier shredders of the world – but [they’re] guitarists that know how to play and want so desperately to take the emotions in their heart and move them to their fingers and out of the amp and to people’s ears.”

This is my favorite U2 moment 😂

You can show me the Southpark 'Bono IS the record' episode and I'll crack up laughing. But show me one of those guitar snob asshats who go, (bitchy HeelsvsBabyface voice) the Edge only has one sound and without effects he has nothing (end bitchy voice) and my eyes turn to red. Also ironically very funny because all those guitarist who claim Edge has only one sound only have one sound themselves, that of a cranked Marshall. If playing along with dotted 8 delay is his only sound then at least Edge has managed to found a more original sound then any of his haters.
Beyond envious!

There are few things more satisfying than hitting that low E string on a Strat., at the start of Bullet! ZooTV was my first U2 concert, in Toronto, 1992. The solo on the Zoo version is beyond awesome. He plays the entire solo with a full size slide in his right hand too!

I remember the first time I heard the solo of the Zoo TV version, and it was completely different from what I was used too. And I was going 'Edge can shred! Well, maybe not, but at least he can wail pentatonically in the blues scale like 99% of all the other guitarists out there. Hearing it from every other guitarist it makes me go yawn. Hearing it from Edge at that moment I made me go hell yeah! Best version of that song ever.

From that same era, the Zoo TV version of With or Without You is the bestest EVAH! Not the one on the Sydney video, which is kinda one of the worst, but the one from the 1992 Live Transmission tour kicks ass!

It has a very tasty solo at the end, as only Edge's solos can be. Plus the original infinite guitar, the inspiration for the later Fernandes Sustainer and the Sustainiac systems. Just way more intricate then the later system, which is why an observant observer will notice two cables plugged into the guitar to a unit on stage which sadly is not to be seen. And also a more delicate system, which is why on the Sydney show he plays it with an Ebow, as the original system had broken down. It wasn't really designed for the rigors of life on the road.

@Muad'zin
I, and most of the players I know personally appreciate his talent. My comments were in reponse to this "specifically;
"changed the sound of guitar playing forever". Forever?
That is a pretty bold statement and I that is where I whole heartedly disagree. Period!

No offense intended. I've also had the pleasure of playing U2 covers. This is just funny comedy. Bill Bailey also makes laughs with God, The Pope, Jesus, The Queen of England, Adele, Metallica, and every holy bastard at the universe. There is no need to defend their honor and virtue after every joke made by a comedian. :)

May I take this occasion to wish everyone a Funny Christmas with this Metal Carol :cool:

Last edited:
@Muad'zin
I, and most of the players I know personally appreciate his talent. My comments were in reponse to this "specifically;
"changed the sound of guitar playing forever". Forever?
That is a pretty bold statement and I that is where I whole heartedly disagree. Period!
I should of course have said that my remark was made towards Bill Bailey, not you personally. And I come across that type of comment that Bill Bailey made often enough. Did Edge change the sound of guitar playing forever? Probably too big to say. I don't think EVH changed the sound of guitar playing forever either. I reckon that if you're into blues or reggae you don't care much about either. But both men influenced a lot of guitar players in their respective genres and both created their own sub genres. Van Halen are the god fathers of hair metal IMHO while The Edge seems to have shaped worship genre guitar playing in his sonic image. In that sense he has been one of the great guitar innovators.

@Muad'zin I am into "music".................Good music. I am into guitar playing.................You are just going to force it out of me I guess. Edge's guitar playing does NOTHING for me. Very innovative, yes. Fits in the band perfectly. If I had to name (my opinion of course) the top 25 guitarists he would not even be considered. You make think that I have some BIAS agianst him or U2. I don't. I enjoy many of their songs,
His guitar playing on the other hand just does NOT impress me. Their, I said it all. Sorry man.................

His guitar playing on the other hand just does NOT impress me. Their, I said it all. Sorry man.................
I have no dog in this fight... But this post is about "sound" not "playing".

I don't claim to be a U2 or Edge fan (unless you're talking Ibanez trems ;)) but the man created a unique, signature sound that is chased by many.

There honestly are not too many guitarists like that...

I have no dog in this fight... But this post is about "sound" not "playing".

I don't claim to be a U2 or Edge fan (unless you're talking Ibanez trems ;)) but the man created a unique, signature sound that is chased by many.

There honestly are not too many guitarists like that...
Yes I alluded to that in other posts. Not sure about the "many" chase his sound. I would guess many U2 fans chase his sound. I knoww he is a competent and good guitar player. No doubt. I know he did create this very nice DEALY etc guitar sounds which are a major part of U2's sound.
As I stated UG, perhaps if the title wasn't about him changig the guitar sound forever I would not have even posted.
So many great guitar players pro and not pros, just so many. IMHO he is NOT a great guitar player he is a GOOD guitar player and he is GREAT at what he does.
Now as an example, imho of course, Eddie Van Halen did have a humongous impact on guita players around the world and he is copied and will be forever. I guess what I said and am trying to get across is EVH WAS a GREAT guitar player, whatever he played.

Yes I alluded to that in other posts. Not sure about the "many" chase his sound. I would guess many U2 fans chase his sound. I knoww he is a competent and good guitar player. No doubt. I know he did create this very nice DEALY etc guitar sounds which are a major part of U2's sound.
As I stated UG, perhaps if the title wasn't about him changig the guitar sound forever I would not have even posted.
So many great guitar players pro and not pros, just so many. IMHO he is NOT a great guitar player he is a GOOD guitar player and he is GREAT at what he does.
Now as an example, imho of course, Eddie Van Halen did have a humongous impact on guita players around the world and he is copied and will be forever. I guess what I said and am trying to get across is EVH WAS a GREAT guitar player, whatever he played.
I don't want to belabor the point, but you keep coming back to playing, which is not the point of the topic.

Your same point about U2 fans chasing his sound can be made for Eddie Van Halen, or Mark Knopler or Randy Rhoads or Brian May...

And on that point, even though I'm a huge VH fan, I'd wager that U2 has more fans world-wide than Van Halen.

This article shows VH with a higher total sales than U2 but not much:

https://classicsdujour.com/best-selling-rock-bands-us-sales/

This one has U2 as 8 in the top 10 and VH is not on the list:

https://www.alltopeverything.com/top-10-best-selling-bands-of-all-time/

EVH definitely did change the sound of guitar. He also changed the guitar from a technique perspective in a massive way, and changed music gear industry significantly.

I think from a "most influential guitarist" point of view, it's probably Les Paul and EVH in the top two.

I'm not trying to argue you into being an Edge or U2 fan or changing your mind - I get it, you're not a fan and that's ok :)

Just presenting some information... in a devil's advocate kind of way. ;)

You obviously haven’t set foot in a church in the last 25 years or so. Dotted eighth delays into an AC30 is THE guitar sound for Praise & Worship, so it would be fair to say that Dave Evans influenced an entire genre that he is personally not even associated with. That’s pretty impressive.

You obviously haven’t set foot in a church in the last 25 years or so. Dotted eighth delays into an AC30 is THE guitar sound for Praise & Worship, so it would be fair to say that Dave Evans influenced an entire genre that he is personally not even associated with. That’s pretty impressive.

I first saw this version in a movie theatre, when Rattle & Hum came out. It sent shivers down my spine then and it still does today. Edge may not be a shredder, but he sure can evoke emotions playing within a chord. It's one of the first songs I learned to play and even though I've probably played it 100's of times, I never get tired of it! The choir is absolutely amazing!

I grew up in the 70's listening to all genre's of music. Edge is the reason I first picked up a guitar at 41.

Back
Top Bottom