How often should I change strings?

I play (collectively) about an hour a day. How often should I change strings? I don't have anything high end as far as strings go - I use an Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom strings.

Thanks!
EBs go dead in a couple of hours. If you want your strings to last, use something different like GHS boomers.

Ill also add. For Acoustic strings i only buy Daddario XS strings now. And i get MONTHS even with a heavy gig schedule with them.

I play (collectively) about an hour a day. How often should I change strings? I don't have anything high end as far as strings go - I use an Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom strings.

Thanks!
I play D'Addario XL's I wipe them down after each session. I also use a cleaner/conditioner (Dunlop brand) helps get the oil and grime out of the wrapped strings.

I live in an average climate so my strings don't rust very fast nor do they stay on long enough for that to happen. I also don't have acidic sweat which also contributes to strings wearing faster.

On average I change strings roughly every 30 hrs of play time. I could probably go longer but I like the sound of new strings! I used to change strings about every 10-12 hrs but I was also playing a lot more.

regular strings: every 2 weeks
Elixir or other coated : 4 months

Although some of my guitars go through seasonal changes and require 9s half of the time and 10s at others.

I wish Elixir made 9.5 gauge.

… the best time to change your guitar strings varies from person to person.
When I was gigging several times a month I’d change strings after two gigs. Nowadays, with fewer gigs, I change them when I can feel fret wear of the windings on the D string, or when the tuning seems to wander.

I’ve also switched to strings with a round core. Gauge for gauge the winding wire is thicker than with the equivalent hex cored strings, and the strings last longer.

I change strings either when I get frustrated that they won't take or hold tuning or when I find myself wanting to turn the treble up on my "amp".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom