How much "wet" signal do you prefer to run?

_haochuan

Hey guys I've been struggling about the amount of delay/reverb on my tone for a while. In general I will keep in series delay and reverb under 10% most of the time, but I do see a lot of others' presets with ~20% or even ~%30, which is way too much for me. I know that it may require more than I thought when the guitar sits in the mix, and I'd love to figure our whether it's just my personal taste or others feel the same too. Thanks guys!

I run my wet effects in parallel (100% mix) and use the level parameter to control how much of the wet signal is present. Makes it easier to run effects in the same column because, for example delays and reverbs don't interact with each other. I find this cleans up the clarity for wet effects

Make sure the bypass states are "mute in" with parallel effects running.

I run my wet effects in parallel (100% mix) and use the level parameter to control how much of the wet signal is present. Makes it easier to run effects in the same column because, for example delays and reverbs don't interact with each other. I find this cleans up the clarity for wet effects

Make sure the bypass states are "mute in" with parallel effects running.
Yeah and what levels do you generally prefer for each when running in parallel?

I run delay and reverb in series. My reverb mix is around 7% and delay mix is around 25-30%. However, my clean tones have a bit more reverb, maybe 10-12%
In my experience, the denser the band mix, the higher you can go.
I use the global effects mix and global reverb mix to adjust on the fly for gigs.

That question is trickier than it might seem. It’s like asking, “How much salt should I use when I’m cooking food?” It depends so much on the dish (is it the main course (rhythm), a side dish (fill), the main side dish (lead)...?). And it depends on the style of food you’re cooking. And how much food there is.

You can’t just say, “Two teaspoons.” :)

I tend to prefer things much dryer than most for clarity of core tone. That said, I’ve been exploring wet dry wet lately and absolutely adoring higher levels of delay than I would use ordinarily.

Varies with approach to playing. The more intricate stuff masks the repeats. Kind of magic when gotten right. Smack the strings and one hears it, but play a part and it becomes that “halo” ideal.

Hey guys I've been struggling about the amount of delay/reverb on my tone for a while. In general I will keep in series delay and reverb under 10% most of the time, but I do see a lot of others' presets with ~20% or even ~%30, which is way too much for me. I know that it may require more than I thought when the guitar sits in the mix, and I'd love to figure our whether it's just my personal taste or others feel the same too. Thanks guys!
Go with what suits you? I often find myself wishing I had finer adjustment between 1% and 2%, so… 🤷🏻

A Lexicon rep taught me to think of reverb as placing a space within a space. Instantly became easier to judge how much was enough. I turn it to where it becomes noticeable and then back off a smidge.

It‘s the Arrangement, the Music Style and your Taste that let‘s you know how much Reverb and Delay is best. Make a recording of your Band performance and listen back.

But for the Effect of not beeing audible, but missing when muted, i‘d say 12%.

Depends on the part and how high/low passed the verb sound is. If the verb is high passed to avoid low mid buildup you can get away with a very wet sound if the part calls for it. Listen to how thin the strymon cloud setting is for example.

Last edited:
Try these two blocks out in your preset.........put em on the grid like so:

Screenshot 2024-03-23 140523.png

Attachments

• Blue 80 Delay_20240323_140403.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Blue 80 Reverb_20240323_140441.blk
    923 bytes · Views: 7
I run delay and reverb in series. My reverb mix is around 7% and delay mix is around 25-30%. However, my clean tones have a bit more reverb, maybe 10-12%
In my experience, the denser the band mix, the higher you can go.
I use the global effects mix and global reverb mix to adjust on the fly for gigs.
Thanks for sharing will try to see how it goes!

That question is trickier than it might seem. It’s like asking, “How much salt should I use when I’m cooking food?” It depends so much on the dish (is it the main course (rhythm), a side dish (fill), the main side dish (lead)...?). And it depends on the style of food you’re cooking. And how much food there is.

You can’t just say, “Two teaspoons.” :)
Yeah for sure it depends on too many things and I'm not asking the correct answer like "you should use X%". I'm generally curious about the range people usually prefer and how people think about this topic.

In a live context, I almost always disable any reverb, it’s just too much when the space has natural reverb.
For delay, I usually am at 6-7% on clean sounds. For rhythm with gain, usually a mono delay around the same %.
For solos, I’m up around 12%.

I see many presets with 20-25% , that always seems to get buried in a live context for me.

Wetter through headphones, somewhat wet through studio monitors at home, but pretty dry with the band, unless the delay or reverb is an important part of the song.

In a live context, I almost always disable any reverb, it’s just too much when the space has natural reverb.
For delay, I usually am at 6-7% on clean sounds. For rhythm with gain, usually a mono delay around the same %.
For solos, I’m up around 12%.

I see many presets with 20-25% , that always seems to get buried in a live context for me.
Yeah that is exactly how I feel and I’m glad to know I’m not alone haha. Even playing home I find nearly no clarity with anything over %25

Back
Top Bottom