How much important is to have the backline speaker!

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi guys this the video of yesterday evening in Padova.
In this video you can see and hear how much important is to have the right backline speaker to get the same interaction of the amp speaker.
Digital simulation with Fractal is perfect but the physical interaction is important too.

Marco,

Merry Christmas. It sounds absolutely stellar. The mix is outstanding and Luke would be proud of that playing my friend.

Really great.

MM

Thanks Marco. I have been going direct to FOH and for monitoring, I have been asking the tech to add some of my guitar to my main monitor mix in the wedge in front of me. Then I ask them to set up another wedge (assuming there is an extra wedge) with only my guitar on my right side or behind me. The two wedges together produce a nice on-stage sound that allows me to hear the guitar very well without having to crank up the single wedge or a separate FRFR monitor. It seems to work pretty well and, I admit I am lazy, so not having to carry an FRFR monitor is nice. I wonder if you have tried this and if you think it works for you. Happy new year all!

Thanks Marco. I have been going direct to FOH and for monitoring, I have been asking the tech to add some of my guitar to my main monitor mix in the wedge in front of me. Then I ask them to set up another wedge (assuming there is an extra wedge) with only my guitar on my right side or behind me. The two wedges together produce a nice on-stage sound that allows me to hear the guitar very well without having to crank up the single wedge or a separate FRFR monitor. It seems to work pretty well and, I admit I am lazy, so not having to carry an FRFR monitor is nice. I wonder if you have tried this and if you think it works for you. Happy new year all!
My speaker is an FRFR monitore special designed for Digital modeler.
The feeling is the same of the guitar cabinet, we present my signature cab at NAMM, the RS-MF10
I don't use stage monitors, I use 1 in ear to listen the rest fo teh band and the second channel of my guitar with a perfect stereo image

Great sound Marco. Even though I am in ear monitoring, I cannot feel the same presence without a cab on stage. Without a cab the guitar loses the interaction I feel and sustain with the cab.

Great sound, playing, and feel Marco!

I completely agree with onstage frfr.
Two in stereo, is my preference, and i don't mind hauling the cabs, at all.

I run a monitor straight from the axe that sits in front of me, and output 2 goes to mixer. I really need that sound coming straight at my face.

If I ever get back into gigging (it got too expensive in '99), I am set for on-stage monitoring with my SpaceStation XL. 700 total watts, 55Hz-20kHz response, and fantastic 'stereo'* imaging from a single point. I can send one output to that, and another to FOH.

* Choruses, rotary, etc. sound like they are literally everywhere, no matter where you stand. I fade up my chorus with a controller pedal, and the sound goes from sounding like it is coming out of the speaker to floating everywhere in the room, completely disconnected from the amp and cabinet. Ping-pong delays have some left-ness and right-ness to the delays, but also quite a bit of front-ness and back-ness too.

I post some pictures of the stage
Out 1 stereo goes to the Mixer
Out 2 left to the active Speaker (Red Sound RS-LG12)
In the in ear monitor I have the right channel.
No monitor on the front, the stage is essential thanks to the FC12
Exp pedal EV1 is modified to have double functionality wha and volume

fullsizeoutput_d87.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d7d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d88.jpeg

Nice setup! Is the RedSound FRFR?

That is RS-LG12 model, active FR speaker limited band over 5kHz designed to have the same feeling of guitar cabinet.
In collaboration with Red Sound I created the new RS-MF10 (MF= Marco Fanton) who is a real FRFR speaker
It is smaller because use 10" speaker with coaxial driver.
These cabinets give the same sound pressure of the guitar cabinet and permit to have the same interaction.
If you visit NAMM please visit our booth 4210 hall D :)

08F9CD8C-E2CF-4D59-9D18-371A2B202C69.jpg

That is RS-LG12 model, active FR speaker limited band over 5kHz designed to have the same feeling of guitar cabinet.
In collaboration with Red Sound I created the new RS-MF10 (MF= Marco Fanton) who is a real FRFR speaker
It is smaller because use 10" speaker with coaxial driver.
These cabinets give the same sound pressure of the guitar cabinet and permit to have the same interaction.
If you visit NAMM please visit our booth 4210 hall D :)

View attachment 61603
I was there last year as a guest of Peavey, courtesy of a friend who works for them. I think I saw you at the booth with those cool Aluminum guitars. We'll see if I get an invitation again this year, and if the budget has room for anything after the MINI comes back from the shop for 203,000 mile service.

It looks like the front panel with the speaker is angled to project a bit upwards. Is the top panel level with the floor?

Last edited:
Why did you go for 10 instead of 12?
do you feel much difference?

seeing your patches and how nicely you play with effects @Marco Fanton don’t you feel odd with one cab only?
I would have imagined you with 2 in stereo tho
Cheers

Why did you go for 10 instead of 12?
do you feel much difference?

seeing your patches and how nicely you play with effects @Marco Fanton don’t you feel odd with one cab only?
I would have imagined you with 2 in stereo tho
Cheers
Good question, thank you.
The typical guitar speaker has a very limited frequency response cruve, it is similar to a midrange and strongly influences the sound of the amp.
This cabinet is a full range flat response and the Frequency curve should be flat.
The speaker is totally differente from guitar speaker, it is a woofer with extended Freq response plus a coaxial drive to extend the response to the high frequencies

12" woofer could create rumble, especially when the cab is on the floor (you can verify this using a standard stage monitor)
10" is much more focused on the midrange frequencies and is more pleasant to the guitar player

As I wrote I use both the cabinet and one "in ear"
One channel goes to the cabinet, secondo channel goes to the in ear.
I have the stereo image and the spatial perception of the stage.
I don't like to have boht in ear in my ears because the y make me feel isolated

(sorry for my english, please don't hesitate to ask me again if it is not clear :)

Back
Top Bottom