How much do I need an FC-6?

It’s a good post with lots of good comments, my tuppence is you definitely don’t need it for your use case and if you wanted a little extra flexibility, even a single dual switch using the stand in switch capability is super powerful. That’s what I have done using tap to scene bank up/down and hold to change views. Using different views is also a fantastic feature......having said all that, and as you say, obtaining an fc6 with a view to using with an Axe III is also quite sound logic.

Another reason to have a (long overdue) Setlist function implemented. Use the three onboard switches to change scenes on press, you could maybe use one button on Hold to increment preset, another to change view for accessing upper scenes and another for tuner. You could also add an external (or two in case you don't use an expression pedal) dual switch and the options are even better.
That's pretty much what the Perform layout does. You can customize the layout however you want, but it will start off with the first 3 scenes of the preset, then when you hold down the 3rd button it will go to the effects, if you hold down the center, it will access the tuner.

I have the FC6 and it is convenient but when my band finally gets back to playing I'm going to try using the FM3 without it. I plan to use the OMG3 layout with maybe 3 scenes per patch. I think it will be fine once the setlist is finalized. While I like having the instant access to individual effects, etc.... with the FM3 at a gig all I really need is a few scenes per song (ex. rhythm, lead, other). I don't need to turn a phaser on and off randomly.

What I do like the FC6 for is experimenting at home. I can experiment with the FC6 and then once I've decided what's needed for a song, make a patch and the needed scenes.

I had an Morningstar MC8 for a while and it is a very slick, flexible device. I could still be happy using it but went with the simplicity of the FC6.

The one caveat is I use an external two button foot switch for tap tempo and tuner. Those are things I need instant access to no matter what song I'm playing.

Last edited:
This is some great info ... thanks for all the various ideas shared here! I haven't gigged yet, but have been using the OMG 3 setup with a few tweaks and have been surprised at how easy and intuitive it is. I'm going to play around with two add-on switches and try some different options.

I play in my home studio, so I do NOT have one. But if I was still playing out in a band I THINK I would have one".

I'm a bedroom wanker and I have an FM3+FC6. Whenever I look at the "Let's see those FM3 rigs!" thread, I'm always slightly shocked at how few people have an FC6 and get by with only 3, 5, or 7 switches. I am sure that if I had to, I could survive with an FM3+2x dual footswitches, but I am a tweaker and I need options. More power to all y'all that actually gig with just 3ish footswitches!

Well I finally gave in and added a dual switch. Having 5 switches + exp is the perfect minimal rig. I understand the need and purpose for an FC6 but if I wanted to tap dance with a larger footprint, I’d be tempted to add back in some analog pedals for flavor/variety instead.

I'm in a cover band as well. I use OnSong on my iPad which sends MIDI commands via Bluetooth to my Xvive MD1; when I switch to the next song, it automatically loads up the next song in my FM3, as well as selects the correct scene, turns on and sets the correct Virtual Capo setting, etc. Because of that, I'm more than happy with the 3 switches. In fact, for most of my presets, I have no use for at least 1 of them lol. I highly recommend this route.

Yeah, mostly like phillip was saying earlier I'm only playing at church these days, and only using the FM3+Exp pedal. One day I'll get to play out again...

Switch 1 (green led): Preset +1 (Hold preset -1)
Switch 2 (red led): Previous scene (Hold changes to main view- which I don't think I've ever actually used, maybe I'll revisit the assignment)
Switch 3 (red led): Next scene (Hold tuner)

This is very simple, and prevents confusion in the heat of battle. Also, these songs are all preplanned and run with click/track, so preplanning works out really well. And all my pre work is on FM3 edit, so the switches aren't even used for editing. Pretty happy with this...

I setup a 2 switch stand-in for preset up and down and a hold for tuner. The fm3 is used for switching between 3 scenes. After using the FM3 during 2 practices now I just have to be careful resting my foot on a switch getting ready to switch scenes. These switches are a little more sensitive than the mfc101 and I sometimes accidentally switch layouts or views.

So far I can manage scenes 1-4, Presets up and down and tuner pretty well with 3 switches.

I keep it on Layout 2 for scenes 1 -3

Switch one toggles scene 1 & 4 with a press. Preset Up with a hold
Switch 2 is Scene 2 with a press and preset Down with a Hold
Switch 3 is Scene 3 with a press and tuner with a hold.

I've contemplated getting a clip tuner to offload that function, but I think I can roll with this.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I just got a CME WIDI Master and an XSonic Airstep for my FM3 and that setup just works great. Cheaper than a FC-6 and wireless! I would probably get the Yamaha MIDI to BT adapter instead of the CME though because the CME is a very tight fit right against the FM3 power cable.

Back
Top Bottom