How much better are the drives compared to the FM3?

gberto

Inspired
How much better are the drives in the FXIII compared to the FM3? Is it a big difference?

I'm thinking of moving from the FXIII to the FM3, but I use drive pedals a lot and I'm a little worried about what I'll be losing in terms of quality in them.

I know there are a few models missing, but what about the ones that are there?

Firmware updates could make the two products have different algorithms, however, from what I understand they should sound the exact same with the same settings as long as the algorithm is the same.

I actually did a wiki page about it:
Sound

• Aside from modifications designed to optimize CPU on the FM3 (see below), the two units run the same algorithms and therefore sound the same when identical settings are used.

The Axe-Fx III has a different algorithm. It solves the nonlinear ODE using a novel technique. That technique is currently too computationally expensive to run on the FM3.

How much better it sounds is subjective.

I'm still trying ways to reduce the CPU to get it to run on the FM3 but have yet to be successful.

i think the FM3 drives sound great. the Axe drives sound great too.

if anything, consider that the FM3 can load 2 Drive blocks per preset, while i believe the Axe3 can load 4. other than that, for me, once something crosses the threshold of sounding great, i don't really compare or analyze anything. that means i get to play guitar :D

I'd love to hear some firsthand experiences of what users noticed that was different between the two. I'm sure it's a subtle thing. Just want to make sure I wouldn't regret moving to an FM3 since they are a big part of how I build my tones

The Axe-Fx III has a different algorithm. It solves the nonlinear ODE using a novel technique. That technique is currently too computationally expensive to run on the FM3.

I'm still trying ways to reduce the CPU to get it to run on the FM3 but have yet to be successful.

How about making the newer algorithm available as separate drives, instead of replacing the current ones?

Is it safe to presume that the FM3 runs a similar drive algorithm as the Axe III FW 10.0? Based upon what I've read in the Wiki and compared between the two devices, it seems they have the same drives and features up to Axe III FW 10.0. If I understand correctly, Axe III FW 13 introduced the new algorithm.

Is it safe to presume that the FM3 runs a similar drive algorithm as the Axe III FW 10.0? Based upon what I've read in the Wiki and compared between the two devices, it seems they have the same drives and features up to Axe III FW 10.0. If I understand correctly, Axe III FW 13 introduced the new algorithm.
Yeah, whenever the new algorithm was introduced. Personally I think it's noticeably better. I never used Drive blocks before and now I use them occasionally.

What about them do you notice as being better?
They sound more "analog" and feel better. The old algorithm is the classic filter->waveshaper->filter technique. It's okay but I've long moved beyond waveshapers in amp modeling so it was time to do that in the drive block.

But you should try for yourself. Internet opinions are worth what you pay for them.

But you should try for yourself. Internet opinions are worth what you pay for them
Exactly!! People can tell you all day long how great something is but it all comes down to what you expect and want. I personally find the FM3 drives to be really good and have a handful of the drives I really like; Box o'Crunch, Eternal Love, Horizon Precision Drive, Jam Ray, Super OD, Tape Distortion and Tube Drive 3-Knob. The Jam Ray and Super OD are the two I use most

Exactly!! People can tell you all day long how great something is but it all comes down to what you expect and want. I personally find the FM3 drives to be really good and have a handful of the drives I really like; Box o'Crunch, Eternal Love, Horizon Precision Drive, Jam Ray, Super OD, Tape Distortion and Tube Drive 3-Knob. The Jam Ray and Super OD are the two I use most

The Box o' Crunch and Precision Drive aren't on the FM3 yet though, because they were implemented after the new drive algorithm was added. They they're currently in the limbo of "is it worth it to re-implement these drives in the old way or wait and see if we can get the new drive algorithms working on the FM3" unless I'm mistaken.

They sound more "analog" and feel better. The old algorithm is the classic filter->waveshaper->filter technique. It's okay but I've long moved beyond waveshapers in amp modeling so it was time to do that in the drive block.
I have FM3 (no III) and AX8. I think some drive sound spot on the real one, some sound similar but the feel is different, while the fuzzes feel too... stiff, static. I wish the new algo address this limitation... from the audio clip on interner it seems so...
I love both amps and drive distortion... different flavour... mixing them for different sound is the best. I hated (real) fuzzes, now I love a good fuzz... :smilingimp:

The Box o' Crunch and Precision Drive aren't on the FM3 yet though, because they were implemented after the new drive algorithm was added. They they're currently in the limbo of "is it worth it to re-implement these drives in the old way or wait and see if we can get the new drive algorithms working on the FM3" unless I'm mistaken.
I vote for better feel (new algo)! We have already plenty of models & combination to choose from... the new algo seems to enhance the character of each drive.

The old algorithm is the classic filter->waveshaper->filter technique.
Cliff (@FractalAudio), how much computation require an eq with waveshaper in each band? (multiband distortion)? Parameters: Input gain + out level + sharpness (or some way to affect the clip, hard, soft, smooth, etc...) for each band, and block input, output and mix (dry/wet).
It is doable to add simple waveshaper to the current eq block? I think a subtle eq shape add "warm and punch" and recreate analog gear.... while extreme shape will create newer sound unheard of.

Reactions: HIO
How about making the newer algorithm available as separate drives, instead of replacing the current ones?

Great idea. Any aberrations in a drive will nullify the best amp modeling in the world down stream. Sort of like putting ketchup on a grade A filet.

Back
Top Bottom