How many scenes you really use? Is 8 overkill?

Same here, with bank size set to 0 and I just use the up/down switches to scroll through bank A presets

Like this idea very much -- that way can easily get to 1 preset per song, and if more are needed, they can be placed adjacent to each other.

That's how I roll too. :cool:
Yep, me too.

Only, I use 'Set list' mode to scroll through the presets in the specific order for that night (when not using a tablet and the 'Setlist Maker app). 'Reveal' mode is on all night.

Bottom row....(what I use 99% of the time)
Switches 1 thru 4 = scenes 1 thru 4.
Switch 5 = 'Play' button to launch backing tracks in Ableton Live.

Second row....
Switches 6 thru 9 = scenes 5 thru 8.
Switch 10 = 'Stop' button to stop backing tracks in Ableton Live. (emergencies only)

Third row....
Switches 11 thru 15 = IA switches (rarely used)

Top row....
Switch 16 = 'Bypass' control for Vocal Harmonizer.
Switch 17 = Tap tempo/Tuner

Last edited:
I use 5 scenes because I've configured the MFC to have them on the front row of switches where they are easiest to get at during a performance

I use 5 scenes because I've configured the MFC to have them on the front row of switches where they are easiest to get at during a performance

Me too:

1: Base amp sound and verb.
2. Base amp + drive verb
3. Base amp + drive + delay verb
4. Base amp + delay
5. Base amp + FX that fit the song (trem/rotary/whatever) Anything fancy that might use an effect not normally used.

Wah is always auto engage, so I have that for most sounds. I pick the base amp for the song, and I can get pretty much anywhere.

Is 8 overkill? If you have to ask, then you don't deserve to use them all. ;-)

...individual taste. For me it's how much a river dance (pedal board dance) do I want to do vs. eye contact with the audience. I sing lead too, so I try to make my pedal board dancing invisible as possible. But yeah, I use 8 when I want to do less preset switching. I've done a whole gig on one preset, but all 8 scenes were used. I say use 'em! ...especially if you are not the lead singer.

As the creator of this post, It is very cool to hear new ideas that guys are using in their scenes setups. My problem is that I have patches that I'm using two amps in most my custom patches with X/Y states and I'm stuck having to rework them (a ton of time already invested into the 2 amp X/Ysetup), back into single state dual amp with bypasses in scenes.

Not to vere too far off topic but is there any tricks to help minimize the X/Y amp delay?
I've done this sort of thing for some clients when re-tweaking their presets to be gap-less. It's not as bad as it sounds.....

Right-click on the Amp block, select 'Copy Block'. Right-click on the empty square directly below the amp block, select 'Paste Block'. Connect the new Amp block around the original one. Set the new Amp block to the 'Y' state, or swap the 'X' and 'Y' states.

Now you can (seamlessly) switch between the two Amps via scenes, or with an AI switch or expression pedal using an external controller and reversing the control action of one of the Amp blocks so that when one is on, the other is off.

I use anything up to 2 to all 8 scenes. I don't even bother with I/A switches anymore.

When I started using the Axe and MFC at first I used them like I used my MIDI gear in the past. Every sound has a preset, several presets per song depending on FX being used. I assigned I/A switches to my most used FX. But that still left me with way too much tapdancing. Then I discovered scenes and realized I don't need to tapdance on I/A switches, nor have a separate preset for chorus or verse. Just assign my intro, verse, chorus, bridge, lead, whacky noises and outro to a scene. As such every preset will be completely different in its scenes arrangement. No clean/crunch/lead/FX kind of setup per preset, but then again I never was such a guitar player, as I never had an amp that could switch between different channels. I like using lots of different FX for different songs and to me getting the Axe was never about amps, but about flexible routing and recreating the complicated sounds I want to make with no pedal tapdancing at all. And scenes allows me to distill what would have been multiple presets into a single preset. Which makes ordering my presets easy and manageable.

Me too:

1: Base amp sound and verb.
2. Base amp + drive verb
3. Base amp + drive + delay verb
4. Base amp + delay
5. Base amp + FX that fit the song (trem/rotary/whatever) Anything fancy that might use an effect not normally used.

Wah is always auto engage, so I have that for most sounds. I pick the base amp for the song, and I can get pretty much anywhere.

personally I found it tricky changing scenes on any row but the front one because I like my heel on the floor prior to a tone change..
so I came up with a config in my MFC mk1 to allow me to do it..
works an absolute treat...

I've done this sort of thing for some clients when re-tweaking their presets to be gap-less. It's not as bad as it sounds.....

Right-click on the Amp block, select 'Copy Block'. Right-click on the empty square directly below the amp block, select 'Paste Block'. Connect the new Amp block around the original one. Set the new Amp block to the 'Y' state, or swap the 'X' and 'Y' states.

Now you can (seamlessly) switch between the two Amps via scenes, or with an AI switch or expression pedal using an external controller and reversing the control action of one of the Amp blocks so that when one is on, the other is off.
That's a great methodology as well. Though my issue is that I usually run 2 amps on at all times for extra tone shaping purposes, and in the next scene they both switch to Y state then maybe the third scene one will switch back to X and the other is now bypassed.

That's a great methodology as well. Though my issue is that I usually run 2 amps on at all times for extra tone shaping purposes, and in the next scene they both switch to Y state then maybe the third scene one will switch back to X and the other is now bypassed.
I re-read your post. I missed the part about using two amps already. It's all about choices and compromises. I would use one amp block at a time (in conjunction with other tone shaping options) in order to keep scenes seamless every time.

5 scenes on the bottom row
MFC in setlist mode, but banksize 1, this way i can scroll through the setlist seeing the songname and active the preset by pushing scene 1.
My presets don´t have songnames, as i use them in more than one song, some are copies (or globals) with other or different modulations.

Last edited:
I use all 8 scenes in every preset. I build presets more like amp rigs, so they are all very similar, just with each having a unique amp and cab. Scene 1 = amp, 2 = amp + drive, 3 = amp + chorus, 4 = amp + phaser, 5 = amp + flanger, 6 = amp + wildcard, 7= amp + delay + 4db volume boost, 8 = amp + delay + drive + 4db volume boost. Every preset has volume and wah before amp as well.

So regardless the amp I feel like playing, the preset is pretty constant. The wildcard is used for song-specific fx.

Personally, I use all 8 scenes because I like to have dry options with X/y amp choices and x/y drive choices.in scenes 1 through 4 Then I like to use scenes 5 through 8 to have different effects changes with x/y block switching already programmed into each scene under foot. Then I just get my sound with one tap & minimal thinking.

As a second approach to scenes, if I am using them for jamming or performance, I will usually make a copy of a desired preset, re-order the scenes, delete the scenes I don't need and see if I need other variations or repetitions under foot as scenes, so that I can just use scene change up and down buttons or the turn the twisty knob at the front of the unit to get what I need with minimal tap dancing or knob turning.

When building companion preset/cab combos in my "interesting amp pairings" folders in the impulse response Cab Packs I sell, I use the first approach I talked about.

That got me thinking about my Behringer X32... If scenes 1-4 were for amps and drives - wouldn't it be great to have "scene safes" per scene to exclude amp and drive (or whatever) from being altered when changing "delay/fx scenes", like the scene management in the x32?

That got me thinking about my Behringer X32... If scenes 1-4 were for amps and drives - wouldn't it be great to have "scene safes" per scene to exclude amp and drive (or whatever) from being altered when changing "delay/fx scenes", like the scene management in the x32?
I'm not sure what that would buy you. When you create a new scene, just don't alter the stuff you don't want to change.

I always try to utilize all eight scenes when making presets. It's an easy way to turn on/off a bunch of blocks at once or to use scene controllers for amp gain, etc. Then once I've set them up how I want, I make a template in Axe-Edit. So if I want to start a new clean preset, I can just grab my clean template and all I might have to change is the amp. It makes my main presets more uniform and faster to create.

I have my MFC set up with a bank size of four, then all eight scenes have IA switches, and then dedicated switches for drive 1, drive 2, and delay 1. This has minimized tap dancing quite a bit.

However, in my last band, I only needed two sounds: a heavy rhythm tone and a clean tone with some delay so eight scenes would have been overkill in that situation. It's all about what you need and the Axe-FX excels at flexibility.

How many scenes you guys typically use? Some of my custom presets only 2 or 3. The highest is 5 in one of my custom presets. So is 8 overkill? Tell me how you guys use your scenes? I'm wondering if there's a super creative way to use them that i haven't thought of yet.
I´m sorry, but I just use scene 1 for normal settings and the scene 8 for solo. In each setting almost different amps and delays - very cool.

Back
Top Bottom