How many of you guys use the enhancer block and...

Chris, I do always play in stereo unless I'm at a gig and a soundguy tells me that there are only enough inputs on the board for me to go mono. In that case I'd just give him one XLR cable like I discussed with you in my other thread. I use two CLR's at home and on stage live.

Sounds like the best way to turn the Enhancer off and on would be with scenes. Too bad there isn't an IA for it.

Chris, I do always play in stereo unless I'm at a gig and a soundguy tells me that there are only enough inputs on the board for me to go mono. In that case I'd just give him one XLR cable like I discussed with you in my other thread. I use two CLR's at home and on stage live.

Sounds like the best way to turn the Enhancer off and on would be with scenes. Too bad there isn't an IA for it.

In such a case would one sum the enhancer to mono and keep it in the preset?

Do you guys use it on cleans, rhythms, and leads?
I use it on everything. I do have an external switch on my pedalboard set to turn off the enhancer if I want. It's set to be polled by the Axe-Fx when I switch presets too, although that all falls down when I switch scenes, then it no longer works. I also wish there was the option to control this block better.

I used to use the Enhancer for quite a while, but the last 5-6 month hardly ever. It changes the tone and somehow I have gone off with this change of tone. Well it's all a matter of preference - maybe one day I'll like it again, but not anymore since Quantum.

I've never touched the block though I've been thinking about it lately. If it only works in stereo then it won't do anything for me. I have long said that the biggest short coming of IR's (to me) is that it lacks in the top end sizzle, air and breath, not fizz. I've gotten great results using my Softube Drawmer 1173 plug in on the air setting post recording. I was hoping the enhancer block would help me get the same-ish results. Seems like that plug in and what it does isn't eq but harmonic content in that range.

I used to use the Enhancer for quite a while, but the last 5-6 month hardly ever. It changes the tone and somehow I have gone off with this change of tone. Well it's all a matter of preference - maybe one day I'll like it again, but not anymore since Quantum.

Exactly my experience as well - there is an eq change (that doesn't dial-out well) along with the time delay (separation) that doesn't really work for me. I have some patches with legacy enhancers but nowadays I typically just use other tools to get my stereo field.

I click it on when I'm jamming sometimes for fun...because it sounds remotely like doubling ... but I never record or play live with it.

Exactly my experience as well - there is an eq change (that doesn't dial-out well) along with the time delay (separation) that doesn't really work for me. I have some patches with legacy enhancers but nowadays I typically just use other tools to get my stereo field.

Have you tried using a delay pedal to emulate double tracked/widening? John Petrucci does this often. I think its the dual delay, not positive, but if you put the delay in parallel, pan either full L or R, mix to 100, level 0, and set your delay time very low to something like .20, .40 and then pan your dry signal opposite you get a double track emulation. I have found that this doesn't change the tone as much as the enhancer.

Have you tried using a delay pedal to emulate double tracked/widening? John Petrucci does this often. I think its the dual delay, not positive, but if you put the delay in parallel, pan either full L or R, mix to 100, level 0, and set your delay time very low to something like .20, .40 and then pan your dry signal opposite you get a double track emulation. I have found that this doesn't change the tone as much as the enhancer.

Yes, this is a good approach too; with the AXEFX there are lot's of options to manage your stereo dynamics with many of the time-based blocks.

IIRC, DannyDanzi has a video of the technique you describe posted around here somewhere.

I never go anywhere near it, personally. There's a lot of reasons for it; partly that I never go stereo live, I'm always playing with another guitarist, the sound guy doesn't need the headache, stereo delays are excessive, barely noticeable, or even detrimental compared to mono delays in a lot of scenarios... plus I've learned how badly stereo enhancers can screw up a recorded mix, and that habit stuck. Sure, your tone isn't going to collapse mono on the stereo PA, but it's still a bad habit I'd rather not get in to. At the end of the day it's not improving my tone, it's just changing it in an odd way.

I never go anywhere near it, personally. There's a lot of reasons for it; partly that I never go stereo live, I'm always playing with another guitarist, the sound guy doesn't need the headache, stereo delays are excessive, barely noticeable, or even detrimental compared to mono delays in a lot of scenarios... plus I've learned how badly stereo enhancers can screw up a recorded mix, and that habit stuck. Sure, your tone isn't going to collapse mono on the stereo PA, but it's still a bad habit I'd rather not get in to. At the end of the day it's not improving my tone, it's just changing it in an odd way.

Well if you don't play in stereo, then fair enough. Quite right. You're never going to need the Enhancer block.
But I would disagree (as would plenty of pro players) that Stereo effects and delays in particular are 'excessive' 'barely noticable'. And they most definately are not detrimental.

One thing I've found is that they can be very noticable, and indeed useful. I employ them on most of my presets, along with the enhancer block to provide added width to the FOH. Many a punter has commented to me after a gig, not only complementing me on my sounds, but noting the stereo effects as superb, and quite unique because they never hear other players using them. I remember Grammy winner Larry Mitchell recounting pretty much the same experience, so I'm in exalted company.

That said, there are plenty of naysayers on this forum and others, 'the anti-stereo police' if you will, and that's good, because the fewer players using the stereo capability of this unit judiciously the better the results for those of us who do. Our little secret....haha!

I think it sounds artificial. I tried for a while but couldn't warm up to it.

So I don't use it and disable it on any downloaded preset that has it. It invariably sounds better to me when I do. TIMHO YMMV.

Well if you don't play in stereo, then fair enough. Quite right. You're never going to need the Enhancer block.
But I would disagree (as would plenty of pro players) that Stereo effects and delays in particular are 'excessive' 'barely noticable'. And they most definately are not detrimental.

One thing I've found is that they can be very noticable, and indeed useful. I employ them on most of my presets, along with the enhancer block to provide added width to the FOH. Many a punter has commented to me after a gig, not only complementing me on my sounds, but noting the stereo effects as superb, and quite unique because they never hear other players using them. I remember Grammy winner Larry Mitchell recounting pretty much the same experience, so I'm in exalted company.

That said, there are plenty of naysayers on this forum and others, 'the anti-stereo police' if you will, and that's good, because the fewer players using the stereo capability of this unit judiciously the better the results for those of us who do. Our little secret....haha!

When I was talking about stereo effects being excessive and barely noticeable, I was referring to a live setting. I've got nothing against stereo effects as they are. I use stereo effects in my mixes all the time, but live is where those problems arise.

First off, most small to medium sized venues (bars, clubs, cafes, a lot of outdoor venues, etc.) are barely going to get a stereo field because of the size, even venues with bigger capacity will have a very narrow stereo image if the speakers are still close together. In larger venues when the speakers are further apart it can be more effective, sure, but still far from ideal. The further back you are from the stage the smaller that stereo field becomes. If you're far left of the stage or far right, that stereo effect is basically non-existent. If you're using any sort of heavy stereo effects like a ping-pong, then everyone on the far left is only going to hear half of it, that goes for any hard-panned effects. If you're using a stereo trem or chorus, it becomes a mono chorus for a decent amount of the crowd. There's that zone in the middle of the room somewhere, that zone where stereo effects work well, and then the rest of the venue has a pretty skewed version of that stereo field. I mean, that's great that those 12 people are stoked on your stereo delay during the bridge, but not worth it in my opinion. For small or medium sized venues where the mixer has limited inputs, I'd rather get any number of other things in that extra input (ambient mic for in-ears, additional drum mics, leaving another mic or instrument from the other banned plugged in and ready to go without having to change settings, etc.)

As for the Enhancer specifically, it's got it's own things. The tonal differences are one for sure, but not the end of the world. For example, if you don't know how to use it, it will collapse in mono. It's been made with that in mind and as long as you're using it correctly that won't be an issue, but you gotta read the manual/Wiki to make sure. There's more than a few ways that one can screw that up. That might not be a big deal, but depending on the circumstance (maybe you're recording your guitar track mono off the board for example) it can leave you pretty bummed. I do enjoy widening mono lead guitars in a mix when I've got it panned down the center like the Enhancer can do, but then I'm also assuming the sound guy either already has me in the center, or he knows when my solos are and pans me that way. I highly doubt that the audience will notice the subtle stereo widening on the mono signal anyways... again, lots of variables. I don't know many professional engineers who use them, partly because of the mono compatibility issues, partly because there's a very strong attitude that you shouldn't need them (I completely agree), and partly because in a live scenario you don't have nearly as much control over the stereo field, and that it doesn't really "enhance" it in a lot of situations, just kinda "changes" it. I find it negatively impacts the tone as well, it creates a "smeared" sound even on subtle settings, so I just avoid them. A signal can't go wider than 100 L/R, it just can't. I've heard extremely wide mixes without the use of widening and really narrow mixes with tons of widening, and have never heard any mixes that showed stereo widening could do what normal panning, good EQ, and good effects couldn't do.

I use stereo effects in backing tracks live, but because of the differences between headphones and a live setting, I pan things a lot tighter than usual, and nothing is hard-panned L/R. Anything that was 100/100 on the record is usually pulled back to like 60/60 for the backing tracks. A lot of sound guys already pan a bit narrower or provide a "wash" of guitars on both sides to compensate for the variations in the stereo field, so listeners aren't losing the right guitar all night when you're at the left side of the stage/venue.

There's nothing "anti-stereo police" about it, I'm not dissing stereo effects as a whole. Stereo is a nice luxury when playing live if you're in the right scenario. Problem is, too many people just run stereo because they think it "sounds cool" at home or at practice, or simply because they can. Use stereo effects, sure, but know what the limitations are, and know enough to understand when your stereo effect isn't adding anything to the show, and quite possibly making it worse (I've definitely seen a few of those). I think there's just as many obnoxious stereo-demanding guitarists who like to hear themselves in stereo ("but dude, it's how I get my tone!") as there are these "naysayers" you speak of, but again, time and place.

Last edited:
When I was talking about stereo effects being excessive and barely noticeable, I was referring to a live setting. I've got nothing against stereo effects as they are. I use stereo effects in my mixes all the time, but live is where those problems arise.

First off, most small to medium sized venues (bars, clubs, cafes, a lot of outdoor venues, etc.) are barely going to get a stereo field because of the size, even venues with bigger capacity will have a very narrow stereo image if the speakers are still close together. In larger venues when the speakers are further apart it can be more effective, sure, but still far from ideal. The further back you are from the stage the smaller that stereo field becomes. If you're far left of the stage or far right, that stereo effect is basically non-existent. If you're using any sort of heavy stereo effects like a ping-pong, then everyone on the far left is only going to hear half of it, that goes for any hard-panned effects. If you're using a stereo trem or chorus, it becomes a mono chorus for a decent amount of the crowd. There's that zone in the middle of the room somewhere, that zone where stereo effects work well, and then the rest of the venue has a pretty skewed version of that stereo field. I mean, that's great that those 12 people are stoked on your stereo delay during the bridge, but not worth it in my opinion. For small or medium sized venues where the mixer has limited inputs, I'd rather get any number of other things in that extra input (ambient mic for in-ears, additional drum mics, leaving another mic or instrument from the other banned plugged in and ready to go without having to change settings, etc.)

As for the Enhancer specifically, it's got it's own things. The tonal differences are one for sure, but not the end of the world. For example, if you don't know how to use it, it will collapse in mono. It's been made with that in mind and as long as you're using it correctly that won't be an issue, but you gotta read the manual/Wiki to make sure. There's more than a few ways that one can screw that up. That might not be a big deal, but depending on the circumstance (maybe you're recording your guitar track mono off the board for example) it can leave you pretty bummed. I do enjoy widening mono lead guitars in a mix when I've got it panned down the center like the Enhancer can do, but then I'm also assuming the sound guy either already has me in the center, or he knows when my solos are and pans me that way. I highly doubt that the audience will notice the subtle stereo widening on the mono signal anyways... again, lots of variables. I don't know many professional engineers who use them, partly because of the mono compatibility issues, partly because there's a very strong attitude that you shouldn't need them (I completely agree), and partly because in a live scenario you don't have nearly as much control over the stereo field, and that it doesn't really "enhance" it in a lot of situations, just kinda "changes" it. I find it negatively impacts the tone as well, it creates a "smeared" sound even on subtle settings, so I just avoid them. A signal can't go wider than 100 L/R, it just can't. I've heard extremely wide mixes without the use of widening and really narrow mixes with tons of widening, and have never heard any mixes that showed stereo widening could do what normal panning, good EQ, and good effects couldn't do.

I use stereo effects in backing tracks live, but because of the differences between headphones and a live setting, I pan things a lot tighter than usual, and nothing is hard-panned L/R. Anything that was 100/100 on the record is usually pulled back to like 60/60 for the backing tracks. A lot of sound guys already pan a bit narrower or provide a "wash" of guitars on both sides to compensate for the variations in the stereo field, so listeners aren't losing the right guitar all night when you're at the left side of the stage/venue.

There's nothing "anti-stereo police" about it, I'm not dissing stereo effects as a whole. Stereo is a nice luxury when playing live if you're in the right scenario. I think there's just as many obnoxious stereo-demanding guitarists who like to hear themselves in stereo ("but dude, it's how I get my tone!") as there are these "naysayers" you speak of.

I don't play in studios or for recording, I only play in live settings, so I'm my case the use of stereo effects to achieve the tonal pallette that's required, some extensive use of the stereo field is essential. The chief caveat being, I'm the only guitar player in the band, so there is significantly more space with which to operate sonically. We do try as a band to play as dynamically as we can. As I mentioned in my previous post I use the enhancer block pretty much across all my presets through the FOH only, so from output 1. I don't use it through output 2 to my power amp and stage cab though, because I need the sound to be more compact. I don't think the enhancer does add much spread, like you say, I think it's more of a perceived depth thing, like trick to fool the ear using very tiny delay times. I've yet to experience the smeared sound you refer to, in any size venue I've played in, most of which are small-ish pubs/clubs, but of course it vastly depends on your setup, sounds, and levels, so perhaps I have mine set just right for this purpose.
Also from a guitar perspective the FOH sound is there to reinforce the stage sound, not to overwhelm it, so the mixture of my stage cab and the FOH create the correct overall sonic picture, without taking the focus away from the lead vocalist, or any of the other instruments. Nevertheless, the net result is it just works, and focuses the big stereo delays nicely. I've stood out front at soundchecks in the past to test the room for dead-spots and it just doesn't happen. Generally because the main guitar signal is basically dual-mono, so nobody in the room is missing any of it with the panning effects added on. You'd think it would be too subtle but to have even non musicians comment on it positively is justification in itself.

I noticed this first in a big way when I went to see Steve Lukather at a solo show in a small comedy club venue in Camden, London, In 1997. I wasn't stood in the best spot, kind of off to one side but still the stereo delays sounded immense, and you could still hear both sides of it. Very impressive. Luke still uses stereo delays and other effects now, even with his more stripped down, portable rig. Good enough for him, definitely good enough for me.

Last edited:
What do you guys do for recording if you are using the enhancer? I usually record one track and pan it hard left, then record another track of the same part and pan it hard right. Does the enhancer block function as a widening effect in that case or is it better to only use it for recording something like a lead that you won't be double tracking? Wondering if I should use it during recording or just bypass it and deal with any widening efforts during mixing?

Back
Top Bottom