How many of you are actually using the Axe as your main gig rig.

Yea, i'd rather hear clips from live performances then direct recordings.

Here's a clip from one of our performances... feed was taken direct from board, so I'm not sure if this still counts. :)

I'm using an Ultra. Main preset uses a Masha BE amp into a Custom IR (Redwirez- I forget which one).

I've used the Axe-Fx Ultra as my main rig for every show since October of 2009. It's been flawless and outstanding, in every way.

Since 2007, Axe > Ultra > Axe II now.. XLR direct to FOH, In Ear System for my monitor, works great! Last few months, L6 G 50 Guitar Wireless, and a MIPRO 808 System for in ears.

After getting the Ultra I sold all my amps and pedals...

My old pedal board was a nightmare to to keep running perfect...

old_pedal_board.jpg

With the Ultra I have more FX options, I can automate all my FX and patch changes and it never goes down! The best part though, it sounds incredible...
Thanks Cliff.

I use it live in my coverband.. going direct to our QSC K12 system.
Works great!

Cheers!
- jonah

Yep, me, with my new band. We are about to start gigging this Autumn, had one already, which went well (check out gig videos in our home page http://www.rockrooster.com/videos.html). Looks, sounds and feels very promising, I'm planning to use only a single wedge monitor for my own pleasure and feeding Axe straight to PA for the audience.

-Thx,More

Me too. 100% Ultra to the house with a power amp and wedge on stage. I transport the Ultra from home to the venue (church) twice a week. No issues, though I still have an X3 as a backup. I originally thought I would use the X3 at home to practice. As if. I just can't do without the TONE, so the Ultra travels.

I will be soon. Will go direct and monitor using IEMs. I've been using an iso box and micing my amp already so it's a level playing field for modelers. All I've heard (boss, digitech, line6) simply don't hang in that environment and Im talking about the newest iterations of all. I'm praying you guys are all right about the axe because I'm selling everything and going in headfirst (gotta pay medical bills). I'll report back in a few weeks when I start to understand a fraction of what this box is capable of.

The ultra is my main rig. I drag it around every week. So far, no problems. I have it in an SKB rolling rack (4U) to keep it from getting too banged up.

Here's a clip from one of our performances... feed was taken direct from board, so I'm not sure if this still counts. :)

I'm using an Ultra. Main preset uses a Masha BE amp into a Custom IR (Redwirez- I forget which one).

Cool!!!
Loved the band energy/guitar tone/playing, and great tune. Is it yours?

Ahhhh, Eddie Money. Never heard of him. Now I'm gonna download some stuff to check him out :)

Thanks for the compliments! Eddie Money was a staple on adult contemporary rock radio back in the mid 80's- You'd hear him, Bryan Adams, Tina Turner, Cars, and Richard Marx all the time.

For over 2 years I went back and forth between my Ultra and tube amps for gigging until the MFC arrived.. after that ALL my gigs were Ultra/MFC including the night before I sold the Ultra. Zero hardware issues.

SOME kind of backup plan is a must though IMO. With tube amp and analog pedalboard, redundancy was built in; if any one pedal failed I could bypass and do without, if the amp failed I could run direct to FOH from the pedalboard. But with Axe-Fx/MFC, if either box fails it's a complete show stopper.

My personal criteria for a backup rig is whatever is small, light, cheap, and could theoretically get me through to the end of a gig and still get paid. I just looked at items I already owned and my Zoom G2 fit the requirement. Just barely, mind you. Thankfully never had to use it.

Here's a clip from my very first gig with the Axe Fx. This was over a year ago and recorded with a Kodak Playsport from the crowd (of 15 people...) I'm the guy on the left in the video (stage right). At 2:17, that's all Axe + Kick drum. Nothing else.

CiQTV's Channel - YouTube

For 2.5 yrs I used my Ultra for most gigs. Now I use the II. I've never had any issues with them live. They're all local/regional gigs where I carry it though.

Maybe 8 months with mine, not a problem so far. It is good to hear that it is a reliable road rig. I heard that Lincoln Brewster is back with Line 6 because of problems with 2 Axe units. That actually came from Lincoln himself. I am not worried myself. I was at first but not anymore. I am lookin for a small backup though. Maybe a small line6 unit.

I've had mine 9 mo... originally only used it for worship band gigs going direct... now i use it for everything: cover band, worship bands, jazz groups. it took a while for me to get comfortable with it, but now that i am, i've sold most of my gear and will likely sell another $2000 worth before this year is over...
I've played over 50 gigs with it, and it's awesome. The only problems I've had have been user errors.... For example, if you don't have all your patches set to similar volume levels, then you're kinda screwed when you change patches... I had to test my unit through so many different PAs and speakers before I knew how to dial in tone/volume/eq settings that would sound good everywhere. Some hi gain sounds that sounded good through my studio monitors would feedback constantly at a gig, so I had to adjust.... I think that is normal for any gear, though. Unfortunately, if you haven't spent many, many hours adjusting your patches and adding buttons for volume boost, eq on/off, bypass, and have pedals for blending amps or gain, etc, then you may not find you have enough flexability for a live situation.

Back
Top Bottom