How many expression pedals and how youre using them?

giphy-downsized.gif
Three.
1. Main volume
2. Expression - frequently either does rotary/dry/chorus or a 3 or 4 range sound morph with (usually) lead sound at toe-down
3. Wah

There was a fourth, but it got demoted to a big knob - still tweakable with a toe, but generally a set and forget at 50% for less frequent tweakage....

There are also two faders and four switches on MIDI and 7 switches via FC6 stand-in switches and FM9 pedal jacks that all do various things....

FM9 Pedals
1. Amp boost via CS1
2. Various, usually a drive via CS2 or a channel toggle for the lead amp
3. Various, usually a drive via CS3 or a channel toggle for the lead amp

FC6 switches
1. View toggle / Preset +1
2. View Toggle / Preset -1
3. Momentary delay runaway
4. Momentary "Dramamine" flange

MIDI switches
1. Tap tempo
2. Momentary Expression - usually a 20dB mid boost before the amp(s)
3. Momentary Expression - usually rotary speed
4. Latching Expression - usually rotary speed

MIDI faders
1. F/M compensation - helps somewhat un-FUBAR your tone if too middy or too boomy/sizzly
2. Delay wetness
20230815_233622.jpg

Last edited:
You use 8 expression pedals?
Makes me want to see pics of your rig.
Basement hacker rig:

• Swell/Delay about to be combined to Volume/Swell.
  • Pod converted to Axefx controller with help from Bome Midi Translator (Green=Prefx, Red=Postfx)
1692539202792.jpeg
1692533911407.jpeg

• Atomics are gutted/fitted with Celestion F12M-150s
  • Matrix out to either the Atomics or Mesa (v30) cabs.
  • Using H+K / Blackstar heads for tube power sections used with some Axfx patches (out to 2 Open back cabs (212 C90s, 112 VType).
1692539465577.jpeg
1692535317188.jpeg

- some pre pedals on a midi switcher + in loop3 (Mimic is post running mono on right side).
1692539587373.jpeg
1692535468601.jpeg

- tried to move all to a spare room up stairs but was met with fierce resistance - so I remain in my unfinished basement hovell, ever fearful of hot water tank rupture.

Basement hacker rig:

• Pod converted to Axefx controller with help from Bome Midi Translator (Green=Prefx, Red=Postfx)
View attachment 125496
View attachment 125486

• Using H+K / Blackstar heads for tube power sections used with some Axfx patches (out to 2 Open back cabs (212 C90s, 112 VType).
View attachment 125497
View attachment 125492

- some pre pedals on a midi switcher + in loop3 (Mimic is post running mono on right side).
View attachment 125498
View attachment 125493

- tried to move all to a spare room up stairs but was met with fierce resistance - so I remain in my unfinished basement hovell, ever fearful of hot water tank rupture.
Well you weren't exaggerating or making a joke, wow. I am humbled. And kinda grateful that's not my life too ;)

I have 2 expression pedals with Axe FX 3

Usually I use them as 1. Volume 2. Wah pedals.
You can also use them many different ways (like changing chorus sound or delay in real time etc.).

Basement hacker rig:

View attachment 125496
View attachment 125486

View attachment 125497
View attachment 125492

View attachment 125498
View attachment 125493

Impressive!

I’m contemplating using one to engage/bypass a PEQ block with some mid boost post cab block for solos. When I’m playing, it feels better than a straight volume boost in my opinion.

I’m contemplating using one to engage/bypass a PEQ block with some mid boost post cab block for solos. When I’m playing, it feels better than a straight volume boost in my opinion.
While you certainly can do that, a switch takes up a lot less space especially for an on/off behavior ;)

However, some people like to use expression pedals to "morph" sounds. Instead of a bunch of on/off/etc, use the pedal to control multiple parameters simultaneously.

Way, way back I did this on the A.R.T. SGX-2000 because it had a big gap during preset changes.

While you certainly can do that, a switch takes up a lot less space especially for an on/off behavior ;)

However, some people like to use expression pedals to "morph" sounds. Instead of a bunch of on/off/etc, use the pedal to control multiple parameters simultaneously.

Way, way back I did this on the A.R.T. SGX-2000 because it had a big gap during preset changes.
Same with the Alesis Quadraverb 2. Same workaround, too. Uphill. Both ways.... ;)

I started using songs setlist a feature on my fm9. I also started putting my fm9 off to the side when I play live with my two expression pedals in the front of me. So I mentioned using the pedal to switch the PEQ on or off as a means to do less foot tapping mid song. But yes I can also just add the two scenes with PEQ on/off as two different song sections in one song for sure

1 - Varies by scene, it controls Wah or Whammy or whatever else I need. I use different channels to turn things on/off and set the controller to only respond to one single channel so it doesn’t try to control everything at once. My scenes usually reflect different pedal uses (wah, whammy, rotary, etc.).

FM9T user here, but as far as expression pedals go:

One: Mission SP-1. I strongly prefer engaging a switch for wah rather than auto-on, so it works out great. A plus is that the same pedal also controls whammy pitch (I never use both at the same time), so one pedal handles both.

I'm trying to keep the rig small, but if I added a second, I'd probably use it for for uni-vibe rate.

Back
Top Bottom