How many Axe FX2 in the field ?

just curious how many Axe FX 2 have sold to date ? can someone give a ballpark figure ? i'd guess a few thousands but i'd interested in a more precise number if possible....

I'm more interested in the question than the answer, I'm curious as to why you want to know.

Probably just to get an idea of the size of the user base. It's a valid question.

It's a small-ish number, I'd be willing to bet. But I will say it must be much larger than the original number of standards and ultras. I am starting to see Axe II's popping up all around town for various players. I know at least 6 other locals that are using it. Including Mr. Leverty. During the time I owned and gigged an Ultra, nobody else had even heard of one.

Well - the stats on this forum indicate 23000 members, so, assuming most Axe Owners would be members and lets say 20-25% of forum members actually bought a new one, my guess would be around 5000. Let me know if I win the contest.

I've been lurking on the forums since the Axe Standard years, and I've seen this question pop up often. I honestly don't think people would ask Gibson or Marshall, or even Line 6 the same question. It's not that it's an irrelevant question. In fact, it's the kind of question a competitor, or investor want/need to know. However, it's not a normal "user" question. What's most odd is that I've noticed independent, smaller companies of all sorts get this same kind of question, a lot, from customers. I wonder if it's the "intimate" nature a smaller company has that makes people feel this is pertinent information for the user base? The world may never know.

I've been lurking on the forums since the Axe Standard years, and I've seen this question pop up often. I honestly don't think people would ask Gibson or Marshall, or even Line 6 the same question. It's not that it's an irrelevant question. In fact, it's the kind of question a competitor, or investor want/need to know. However, it's not a normal "user" question.
Not a normal user question????? I dont even know what one could answer to that...

As for Gibson or Marshall, they are building thousands of pieces every year in factories, most of them in China. Who cares how many they make ? Fractal is a small company, I would not say that the Axe are hand-crafted, but I am positive they built by passionate people.
I guess that I if was doing industrial espionage, I would use more sophisticated techniques than going to the company's forum and ask don't you think ?

What's most odd is that I've noticed independent, smaller companies of all sorts get this same kind of question, a lot, from customers. I wonder if it's the "intimate" nature a smaller company has that makes people feel this is pertinent information for the user base? The world may never know.
Fractal is an extraordinary achievement for Cliff and his team, of course we want to know a little more. jeeeez, it seemed an harmless question at the time....

Last edited:
Well - the stats on this forum indicate 23000 members, so, assuming most Axe Owners would be members and lets say 20-25% of forum members actually bought a new one, my guess would be around 5000. Let me know if I win the contest.

If I had to bet, I'd give a similar figure, but Cliff's ways are mysterious :)

No really?So I must have some super secret agenda here...:devilish:
As for Gibson or Marshall, they are building thousands of pieces every year in factories, most of them in China. Who cares how manu they make ? Fractal is a small company, I would not say that the Axe are hand-crafted, but I am positive they built by passionate people.
I guess that if was doing industrial espionage I suppose I would use more sophisticared techniques than going to the company's forum and ask don't you think ?

Fractal is an extraordinary achievement for Cliff and his team, of course we want to know a little more. jeeeez, it seemed an harmless question at the time....

I really wasn't accusing you of anything, but now that you mention it, you sure are getting awfully defensive over what was a simple observation on my part. O_O

I'm only kidding with you, of course, but you really should consider taking it down a few notches, or you'll never make it out of the fractal forums alive! These people will eat up, and spit you out.

In all seriousness though... In all the years that this company has existed, they have never released that kind of info. Heck, I can't even get them to tell me how far down the wait list I am, so I wouldn't expect to get any kind of REAL answer on this issue, ever.

Honestly, though, what would any customer, potential, or otherwise, gain from knowing this information?

Also, I'd say there is a fundamental flaw in the reasoning that most customers are forum members. Most of the owners I know personally avoid the forums. They say, and I quote, "They are a bunch of self righteous Koolaid drinkers that will treat you like crap, and back you into a corner over petty crap that doesn't matter."

And I'm not kidding. I've gotten at least 10 people tell me nearly that exact phrase about this place. I know that doesn't apply to the vast majority of people here, but I do see it a lot from the same few people, and it really pushes people away from here.

I guess I'm bipolar. While whishing best of luck and success to FractalAudio, I'm also totaly selfish hoping that as few people as possible have a sound as good as mine. Hmmmm... :/

Well, you'll just have to tweak your sound better than the others...:)

Bok stari! Vec sam se pitao kad ce se pojaviti i netko iz HR...Veseli me, uzivaj!

Ivo

just curious how many Axe FX 2 have sold to date ? can someone give a ballpark figure ? i'd guess a few thousands but i'd interested in a more precise number if possible....

Ok, I have a curiosity of my own. Being an electronics engineer myself, I'd love to know (truthfully) if Cliff and/or other FAS team members have ever acquired a Kemper profiler and dissected it entirely (HW and firmware) to see what can be learned from what is probably the ONLY piece of gear out there that directly competes with the AxeFX II.

Cliff, I don't really expect an answer, but I can tell you, if I was in YOUR shoes, I'd have a shelf full of shredded Kempers.

Ok, I have a curiosity of my own. Being an electronics engineer myself, I'd love to know (truthfully) if Cliff and/or other FAS team members have ever acquired a Kemper profiler and dissected it entirely (HW and firmware) to see what can be learned from what is probably the ONLY piece of gear out there that directly competes with the AxeFX II.

Cliff, I don't really expect an answer, but I can tell you, if I was in YOUR shoes, I'd have a shelf full of shredded Kempers.

Cliff has never said ( AFAIK ) that he's completely reverse engineered a Kemper .... But, from time he's made little comments that would lead me to believe that he most definitely has ....

Almost impossible to reverse engineer a box like the Axe or Kemper, as its all software... It could be done, but it would be incredibly resource intensive, and would not pay enough benefits to justify spending the time. Now qualitative listening and looking at features is another story, but I'm happy the Fractal team spends its time improving their product.

You have to power on the Axe-Fx II while at the same time you turn the wheel counter-clockwise, hold "x" and "y" and "enter" and toggle the "xlr ground lift" switch with a frequency of 1.2764 Hz. Then the answer is shown in the display.

At least that is what I've heard... :)

Back
Top Bottom