How Long Is Too Long

kennylee

Hi
I have a Axe-Fx II and a MFC 101 both with updated fw. I tried connecting them with a brand new, 30 ft bestronics eithercon cable (basically very good cat 5) I could send midi pc to the axe but got no info back like tempo or effects state, So i tried a 15 ft cat 5 cable and it worked. Then I tried my original 30 ft 7 pin midi and that worked.
So my question is How long of cable can it support? In the wiki I saw a quote that said it has to be long enough?

I bet your ethercon cable is faulty. You should be able to go up to nearly 500 feet with no issues on ethernet.

"Readily available CAT5 (Ethernet) cable provides bi-directional communications over lengths of 100 meters or more, PLUS phantom power from the built-in power supply of the Axe-Fx II."

Sounds like something wrong there. 30 feet should be nothing.

cable tester only checks for shorts, opens, or incorrect wiring
Sorry, I wasn't referring to your last post, but about some of the general discussion in the thread.

Since you network everyday, do you have access to some other long CAT-5 cables that you could test with?

Sorry, I wasn't referring to your last post, but about some of the general discussion in the thread.

Since you network everyday, do you have access to some other long CAT-5 cables that you could test with?

Yes I do so I tried a couple ways
I have 3- 5 ft 1-10 ft 1-30 ft and 1 45 ft
so I tried 5ft works 10ft works 15ft works 20ft works 25ft starts to get flakey ,,,tempo flashes only a few times then pauses ,
then 30ft only one way and very slow
same with 45ft

I just got 25 ft from besttronics. Nice cable. Doesn't work with Mfc/Axe.

15 ft piece of junk cat5 works fine.

Hmmm?

Got it before they had a Fractal section. Got it a couple of days ago and just tried this am. Got axe fx name error.

This is very unfortunate if cable runs have to be 20 ft or less.

Is anyone having success with longer cable runs?

Got it before they had a Fractal section. Got it a couple of days ago and just tried this am. Got axe fx name error.

Fas told me that there is something wrong with my MFC and that i should send it to them to fix
I cant right now as i am giging every weekend and need it (running 7 pin midi)

Did you get the cable M@ listed?

Yes, I got a 25 ft version of what's on the page. It feels like a very well made cable and I think it'll be just what I need once I get the MFC sorted. Based on what kennylee tells me, it's likely that I have a malfunctioning MFC. I'm going to email Fractal and see if I can get it dealt with. I have a LF Jr. I can use in the meantime.

Fas told me that there is something wrong with my MFC and that i should send it to them to fix
I cant right now as i am giging every weekend and need it (running 7 pin midi)

Cool that it wasn't the cable. Not so cool that it's your MFC. I'd say as soon as you have the time, send it in and get it fixed.

Yes I am having success with a 50ft cat5e cable that I bought on ebay for 5$ shipped to my house from China :p I set it up on the MFC as AXEII mode and EXPRESSION PORT and have zero problems. Nothing changes from a 5ft to a 50ft. I bet nothing will change if i even go to 200ft. I love the cat5e option!!!

Back
Top Bottom