How long does a guitar that stays in tune actually stay in tune?

DiedTrying

Inspired
Is it considered to be a good guitar when it stays in tune for a song? For an hour long practice session? For a set on stage? For a decade?

Last edited:
Questions like that are the ones that really deserve to be replied by an AI 🤖:D

The length of time a guitar stays in tune can vary depending on several factors, including the quality of the guitar, the condition of its components, the climate, and how well it's set up and maintained. Here are some key factors to consider:
  1. Quality of the Guitar: Higher-quality guitars with well-made components and precision tuning machines tend to stay in tune longer than cheaper, lower-quality guitars. Professional-grade instruments often have features that help maintain tuning stability.
  2. Tuning Machines: The quality of the tuning machines (also known as tuners or pegs) can significantly affect how well a guitar holds its tune. High-quality tuning machines are more reliable and can help keep the strings in tune.
  3. String Quality: The quality of the strings themselves is important. Old or worn-out strings may not hold their pitch as well as new, well-maintained strings. Coated strings or those designed for better tuning stability can also help.
  4. Setup: A well-set-up guitar is more likely to stay in tune. Proper setup involves adjusting the action, intonation, and ensuring that the nut and bridge are properly lubricated and filed to reduce friction.
  5. Climate and Environment: Changes in temperature and humidity can affect a guitar's tuning stability. Extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations can cause the wood to expand or contract, affecting the tension on the strings.
  6. Playing Style: Aggressive playing, excessive bending of strings, or using a tremolo system can put additional stress on the strings and make them more likely to go out of tune.
  7. String Winding: Ensure that the strings are properly wound on the tuning posts. Strings should be wrapped neatly and without overlapping, which can affect tuning stability.
  8. Nut and Bridge Quality: The nut and bridge of the guitar should be in good condition and properly set up. Poorly cut nut slots or bridge saddles can cause tuning issues.
  9. Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance, such as restringing, lubricating the nut and bridge, and keeping the guitar clean, can help maintain tuning stability.
In general, a well-maintained, high-quality guitar with good components can stay in tune for an extended period, sometimes for hours or even days of regular playing. However, it's common for a guitar to require occasional tuning adjustments, especially if it's exposed to changing environmental conditions. Guitarists often check and adjust their tuning between songs or during breaks in a performance to ensure it stays in tune.

robot destroy GIF by VICE En Español

Last edited:
I have had guitars with floating trems stay in tune with themselves for over a year in non-climate controlled storage (basically at home in a case). I have also had the same guitars stay in tune pretty much for 3-4 months till the strings gave up. IMO, when set up correctly, fully floating dual locking trems stay in tune far better than fixed bridge guitars.

All my guitars have very stable tuning and I bend a lot. The biggest issue is temp for me. If the ambient air temp on stage is cool and you pickup a guitar with a trem between songs that has been sitting in a rack, once it warms against your body the springs will expand a little and the guitar will go a little flat after a song or two.

But once temp is stable so is tuning.

I have had guitars with floating trems stay in tune with themselves for over a year in non-climate controlled storage (basically at home in a case). I have also had the same guitars stay in tune pretty much for 3-4 months till the strings gave up. IMO, when set up correctly, fully floating dual locking trems stay in tune far better than fixed bridge guitars.
I was about to post the same thing.

My PRS SC245 will stay in tune extremely well; I've taken it out of its case and it was so close I could have started playing. My DGT will also do that. The rest of my guitars are good for the night unless I'm really getting crazy with the tremolo. I'll check them and touch them up between songs because I'm anal but they never seem to drift far enough to force me to retune.

I think it's tied to having the nut slots lubed and the guitar set up well. A friend has a Les Paul that won't stay in tune through a song and often requires a long tuning session between songs or after breaks and it drives me crazy. I really go nuts when we have to stop a song so he can tune because it's so far out. I can't imagine why anyone would put up with that.

That question can be a bit open ended, too.

I look at tuning differently live than I do in the studio- live all my guitars are can get through a gig without any serious issues, but in the studio I’m checking tuning between every take because if you stack up enough guitars that are all 1-2 cents away from each other, it starts sounding like a pile of pig ass and pig ass don’t sound no good.

I just went through my guitars last night for snickers and grins, most all are Floyds and two hard tails and a PRS trem, and they were all in tune maybe a cent or 2 flat but nothing so radically out that it would annoy me. And there are some I don't touch on a regular basis.

Depends on the hardware and the quality of the construction, and how well you stretch your strings, how old they are, etc, etc. Most of my guitars have Floyds and they stay in tune for weeks at a time, granted most of that time is sitting on a wall hanger, but even the ones I play regularly stay in tune pretty solidly, with only minor adjustments here and there.

But my Evertune-equipped LTDs? They basically never go out of tune unless there are drastic humidity changes. S--t is voodoo.

Back
Top Bottom