How far ahead is the III of the II these days?

The III obviously has significantly more processing power. We're all going to say the III sounds better as well, but that's always going to be somewhat subjective. Here's what I can tell you for sure....Every time I get a new guitar processor, the old one becomes my back-up, and the current back-up gets sold. I started with Fractal on the II XL+. I bought my first III in July of 2018. I did not take it on the road until April of 2019 (I was waiting on FC availability. I didn't want to have to program two different pedals). In November of 2019, I bought a second III and FC as a back-up rig because I felt is WAS that much better than the II. HOWEVER....I still have not sold the II. The quality is still there, and I still have enough use for it in my studio that it's worth keeping.

It's a long way from the AX8 I had and the HX stomp I have. If you can't get the tone on the AXIII, it probably doesn't exist.

The III is more organic, more realistic with more advanced FX and functionality regarding foot switch options and operations. And constantly getting better. If I was shopping and had a choice of the III, XL and the Ultra I would hands down choose the III. That said sometimes the aural stars just align and sounds are born outside the scope of advanced features. I have a few sounds on my Ultra that I prefer over the XL and the III and a couple on the XL that stand out. But definitely not enough to make me ‘choose’ those models over the III.

Thanks, really interesting. You don't happen to have some recordings using the same amp in both units as well as the same guitar?

After having listened to several Axe lll demos - even though without direct comparison to an Axe ll - it in general gives the impression to me that it provides a fuller tone (perhaps a clearer bottlm end?) and more sparkling harmonics. Could this generally be considered correct?
If I set the same amplifier on both devices, they will not sound the same. I always have to set up my sound again, just like I have to do practically after every major FW upgrade, but even then the feel is different. When I first played the III (I bought it in December 2022), I immediately heard more bass and a more dynamic response, especially from non-master volume amps like the Plexi. But I struggled with my favorite (AxeFx II) Bogner Ecstasy amp before setting it up on the III. I tried everything with my OwnHammer IRs. I've had the AxeFx II for about 6 years now, and sometimes when new FW came out it happened to me that my new favorite amplifier was a different model. I haven't made AxeFx III recordings yet.

Way ahead but at the same time we see big artists performing live with FM9 or even FM3. I feel that my FX3 is a huge overkill for the gigs that I have at this point.

streets_ahead.jpg

Fx3 today is a generation ahead of the fx3 from 2020 in terms of Cygnus improvements. Apply the transitive property of mathematics to arrive at the solution for the difference to the 2.

It's significant in terms of tone and feel and features.
I have had all of the Fractal models since 2007. The other models were good, but I still kept real tube amps and fooled around trying other modelers. I have used modelers since the early Line 6 Axe212 in the 90's.

Those days are long gone. I got rid of all of my tube amps and have zero interest in trying anything else.
The Axe Fx 3 is the best IMO and it is not really close.

Last edited:
In pure tone, the III was a big enough improvement to be worth getting over the II years ago, and that gap has multiplied many times since then.

I have had almost all iterations of the AxeFX over the years, still have the AX8 and all the newer units. Back when we were recording our last CD I had the II and was already sold on the Plexi 50 W Hi model, but I wasn´t totally pleased. So I had Victor Mason build a Mojave Scorpion for me which was great and got used on almost all songs. But it was a one trick pony and I sold it in the meantime.
Now the III: I think it is better than the real thing. I´m still a Plexi nut and use only the 50W Hi, the 100W 1970 and for cleans a Vibroverb (yes, I´m a SRV nut too, and yes I´m old). But I cannot imagine ever going back to tube amps.

I had the II for several years and gigged it but had to sell during 'The End Times'. It was great but required a fair bit of tweaking to get where I wanted. As soon as I had the means I got the III. Night and day. It was shocking to me. Dial up up the first Fender and - it was the amp. It just sounded and felt like the amp, with all the flubbing in the bass and all the response and 'sprang' of the real thing. Amazing.

Back
Top Bottom