How does Axe FX compare to other guitar processors

Fedora

I already own Digidesign Eleven and NI Guitar rig & actually one of my favorite is the simple Sansamp software version included with pro tools, it's not very versatile but sounds good straight out of the box. I haven't tried the AxeFX only heard demos of it and it do indeed sound good, but does it really blow away its competition? anyone compared it to the digidesign eleven? wich i think sound pretty good.

Also is there any chanse of a cheaper version of the axefx in the future? I'm not buying it at the current price tag, maybe a lightweight software version? What's causing the high price tag anyways? is it the DSP technology?

I think this also speaks volumes. Fractal Artists - using Axe-Fx, MFC-101 and Atomic Amps Products - Artist Relations

Sound quality, flexibility and versatility are unmatched IMO. Other part of the equation is feel and response, and you won't get that from youtube demos. If your current rig gets you to a sound and feel you are thrilled with, you are blessed - run with it. None of the low end units I tried would satisfy my ear or hand, and I find the Axe II (and the Ultra before it) can. This included my Vetta II and floorboard at a cost more than my Axe II, including breaking my back.

Well.. none of these units actually have a good feel, weird thing, i got a vox tonelab. It feels good, but sounds bad when i hear it played back... playing blues with these things simply don't work. I haven't tried many tube amps but I tried a vox tube amp and boy did it feel different from using a guitar processor.

I guess first, welcome to the forum!

Second, what I've found in the short time I've owned my Ultra is trying to compare it to ANYTHING else just doesn't work out. It is clearly no POD.

I've had or have the following amps and processors:
6505+
5150(moded)
Krank Rev+
Dual Rec
Single Rec
Rectoverb combo
Line6 HD147
POD XT
POD X3
TC Gmajor
TC Gmajor II
Rocktron Piranha
Rocktron Multivalve
Rocktron Voodoovalve
Rocktron Replifex
Rocktron Prophecy
Marshall JMP-1
Marshall TSL100
Marshall MG100R
Peavey Rockmaster
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Diville
Peavey Bandit combo
Randall Cyclone
Randall head that Dime used, name escapes me
And a host of boss, dod, EH and other boutique pedals from AnologMan and the like

I've played and sold the vast majority of that stuff and since acquiring the Ultra have strongly been considering selling the rest.

It's that good.

A "cheap" version, IMHO, for what it does is.....the standard, Ultra, or the new II. Considering all that it replacing its price point is incredible.

The quality of the effects is better than anything I've ever heard or used and unlike most of the processors I've used before, it is easy to program.

Good luck and enjoy.

If all the Axe did was model, it would be worth the price, IMO.
If all the Axe did was effects, ditto.
Top drawer hardware, free firmware updates, a grid system that allows you to put almost any combination of gear in place, controllable by a computer or foot controller, and great customer service, all icing on the cake. It's about versatility without much sacrifice of tone, if any at all.
Downside: learning curve can be steep, takes up a lot of your spare time (but in a good way!), and cost. I'm one of those who sold a lot of stuff, so to me value far outweighs the cost.
Welcome to the forum! Go find someone who's already got one, hear for yourself. Cheers!

What's causing the high price tag anyways? is it the DSP technology?

high quality no-compromise components - the DSP used is much more powerful and much more expensive than what you find in other processors. The Axe was designed and built by an engineer/guitar nut, not by a marketing team.

Take the AD/DA converters for exsample - other companies literally use the cheapest crap they can find, as long as they can claim it's "24 Bits 96kHz" (which in itself means nothing) - the Axe uses Cirrus Logic ADDAs. And the list goes on and on.

DL the manual and read the Intro, DL the editor and play around with it, this will give you an idea of the scope.

And add to the list that Fractal is a boutique shop i.e. they don't make mass produced garbage in China and that adds to the price too.

Hi Fedora

Welcome to the forum.

I played around with the digidesign eleven and can honestly say that there is no point in comparing these two units. The AxeFX is way ahead of anything else out there. Certainly the "feel" aspect is major - don't underestimate it if you play live. Clips or samples on the net can't do this unit any justice. I would recommend that you hook up with an owner and try it out or buy it keeping in mind the return period.

I've had the Ultra for 3 years and barely scratched the surface. tbh I probably only use a few presets 90% of the time but its good to know I've got lots of options should I need them.

As far as the simplicity of SA - with the AxeFX it really is just a case of switch on pick a preset and go - tweaking is simple - certainly no more complicated than the eleven and the forumites are very helpful and knowledgeable if you need help.

Learning curve? Yes, but not as much as some say. I use tweaked presets-I have been playing a very long time 25+ years of playing-many amps, bands, guitars, etc.
\If you want it to be deep, it is.
If you want nice sounding presets quick-it's there-just find a preset you can live with and tweak it to your liking

I had an AxeFX for about a year and after putzing around with Guitar Rig, Amplitube, ReValver, etc, there is no comparision. I've got an Eleven Rack and while it's quite nice for what it is there is a huge difference.

If I were to make an analogy here, the eleven rack is like being a bar band where you set up an amp and a pedalboard and you get what you get and you deal with it. It's not horrible, but it is what it is.

The AxeFX is like an entire studio stocked with just about every amp you can imagine, almost any effect you could want and an unilmited number of ways to route and mix them. Add the ability to use custom IR's combined with over 70 fantastic amp models that you would never be able to afford or even find in real life and it's 'super league'.

Both have their place and application and both can work. It's just a question of whether you are the type of guy who wants to buy a screwdriver and hammer or the complete Snap-On toolkit. If you aren't going to use it all then it may be a waste, but you'll never be unprepared to get the job done.

You came to a fractal audio forum filled with zombie like men (and women?) who just keep mumbling "axe fx" in their sleep haha (me included!) Lets just say, for most of the folks here, it's like the tooth fairy finally came along, took that shady broken tooth away, and replaced it with a shiny gold coin!

It's awesome. No processor comes close. The only ones which come even remotely close are some of the free guitar amp plugins (lepou especially) but thats only in the amp modelling department. It has a great stomp section, mindblowing effects, tons of options and user IR cab slots. And thats just the ultra! The new Axe FX II takes it a step further, and is the "jizz in my pants" version of the already stellar ultra.

It's awesome. Oh wait, I already said that!

I guess first, welcome to the forum!

Second, what I've found in the short time I've owned my Ultra is trying to compare it to ANYTHING else just doesn't work out. It is clearly no POD.

I've had or have the following amps and processors:
6505+
5150(moded)
Krank Rev+
Dual Rec
Single Rec
Rectoverb combo
Line6 HD147
POD XT
POD X3
TC Gmajor
TC Gmajor II
Rocktron Piranha
Rocktron Multivalve
Rocktron Voodoovalve
Rocktron Replifex
Rocktron Prophecy
Marshall JMP-1
Marshall TSL100
Marshall MG100R
Peavey Rockmaster
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Diville
Peavey Bandit combo
Randall Cyclone
Randall head that Dime used, name escapes me
And a host of boss, dod, EH and other boutique pedals from AnologMan and the like

I've played and sold the vast majority of that stuff and since acquiring the Ultra have strongly been considering selling the rest.

It's that good.

A "cheap" version, IMHO, for what it does is.....the standard, Ultra, or the new II. Considering all that it replacing its price point is incredible.

The quality of the effects is better than anything I've ever heard or used and unlike most of the processors I've used before, it is easy to program.

Good luck and enjoy.

You would really confirm my buy (axe 2) was the perfect choice (and likely is) if you threw in a few mesa boogies in your purchase past! and maybe and ENGL, otherwise wow. Wonder how many boogie lovers sold their stuff for the axe?

I sold my rectoverb also. After buying the ultra, I played the Mesa about twice in a year and liked it far less than I remembered!

Back
Top Bottom