How do you use the effects loop in the axe-fx

jzgtrguy

Inspired
I've been placing my effect after the cab block. Can someone here explain how to use the effects loop? My understanding is that in an analog amp the effects loop is placed between the pre amp and the power amp. Is that possible with the effects loop if I am going FRFR? Is the effects loop for using the axe with an analog rig?

The effects loop is for placing external gear in your signal chain. You can place it anywhere in the chain, before or after anything. What you can't do is place it between the preamp and power amp sims. That's no big deal, because placing it there is usually a compromise required by the physical limitations of "real" amps. In the studio, effects that you'd place in your "real" amp's effects loop are usually added after the miked guitar cab. That's also what what's often done in the bigger live acts.

One implication of this, however, is that you can't get the same effect of power stage distortion occurring after a modulation effect as you would have in a real amp. It does strike me as a little inflexible not to be able to rout an fx chain between the virtual pre-amp and virtual power amp stages of an amp block.

That's a good point, though I don't think that's much of a sacrifice. Most people want to use an effect either pre-distortion or post-distortion. For me, at least, placing an effect pre-some-of-the-distortion has limited applications. I only did it with "real" amps because I had no choice.

Thanks, that is what I thought but I am a bit of a Ludite. I've been placing some effects ie delay etc after the speaker sim

Try it in both spots and see what you like. The more you play with the box, the easier it gets.

I use the loop in a couple of different ways

View attachment 4363

In this patch, the loop sends an uneffected signal out to be captured for reamping later, if desired.

I add this loop to all my patches so it will be there if I decide to use that patch to record something

It's also possible to use this routing to send signal to other external devices, but I don't
have any pedals or other outboard gear left post-Ultra so I don't use it that way.

View attachment 4364

In this patch, I use the loop to send a signal post amp & cabs
for a center channel to allow a faux LCR arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom