How do you setup your guitars?

I used .009-040 (specifically with a .015 G string) for a long, long time. Years later I found out that was what EVH used as well.

I ultimately ended up using Fender XL150 strings, which were about the only ones I could regularly find with those specific gauges.

A few years ago, Fender stopped producing them (after decades)... I scoured the internet and bought a bunch but that only lasts so long.

https://stringjoy.com/guitarstrings...-strings/broadways/classic-super-light-gauge/

45 years playing
It was always 10s but the past few years--
Gibson scale 9.5
Fender 9.0
Still like 12s on acoustic

I do have one Gibson that just does not feel right unless there are 10s on it. (Flying V)

Play a lot of acoustic so strings too light is a turnoff (did like them in my teenage shredder phase).
I pick hard and like to downtune to drop D, so never an action that's super low.

Anybody try any balanced tension sets?
Did you find that it made a nice difference?
Was it even noticeable?

I have. No. No.

I get the arguments for them, I guess, but I can't really tell from playing.

I set my guitars up with the neck as straight as possible (< .004" relief with capo 1 and fretted at the body junction), action around .090" at the 12th fret (nothing fretted) and have used 10s forever (first EB Slinkys, then NYXL). I'm currently playing Curt Mangan 10.5s and prefer them so far. We'll see how long they last compared to NYXLs....I might try NYXL 11s...I kind of like the extra resistance.

Setup is basically the same on Les Paul, 594, and Strat. My acoustic is as close to that as I can get with 11s....but I hardly ever play it, can't get it totally there (action is a little high), and don't remember what strings are on it.

Thanks - I think I saw those before... $15 per set is too steep for me when I can get the others around $5 or less when buying a 3-pack.
They are really nice strings and last a long time. Switched from EB #2222 (9-46) to their 9-46 set. B is .012 and G is .015 in that set, and the balance feels and sounds better.

For my strats I use 009-042 or 009-046 Elixir Optiweb
For my LP style guitars I use 010-046 Elisir Optiweb
For my acoustic steel string guitar I use usually 010-047 nowdays but can use also 011-052 Elixir Phosphor Bronze (Nanoweb)
For my acoustic nylon string guitar I use D'addario Pro Arte (Nylon Core, Composite core etc.)

I maybe try later 009-046 strings for my LP style guitars (just for fun and cause they are lighter to play).

Also there is other things and alternatives ex. if I use Eb or D tuning with strats, can use maybe 010-046 sets.
Usually my strats are on E tune.

String height is not too low or high, simply for better way to bend and handling.
Guitar pickups I always adjust just using my ear (not using any measurements) what sounds good then that's it ;D
My LP style guitars I usually keep bridge and tailpiece the way that strings angle is not too sharp but gentle (this way I realize that
strings have less tension / easy to play).

Before I used Elixir Nanoweb but for me Optiweb suits better, the feel more like "normal" strings. Nanoweb are okay but now days Optiweb
is my choice.

I use 9-42's on my Strat and 10-46's on my LP. Elixir Nanoweb Technology.

The guitar technician said my stock pups are too low. He kinda criticized where I bought the guitar from. It's a fine USA strat special and I bought it new 2-3 years ago but he recommended modifying the pups. I think I am eventually going to get noiseless custom pups in that strat -- I hear kinman noiseless woodstock pups are wicked. A U2 tribute guitarist name Gerry u2John316 told me about them They may cost $600 CAD to buy and get them installed. Still cheaper than trading my strat in for a fender elite model and paying the difference. Not to mention we're talking kinman's!

Last edited:
I use 9-42's on my Strat and 10-46's on my LP. Elixir Nanoweb Technology.

The guitar technician said my stock pups are too low. He kinda criticized where I bought the guitar from. It's a fine USA strat special and I bought it new 2-3 years ago but he recommended modifying the pups. I think I am eventually going to get noiseless custom pups in that strat -- I hear kinman noiseless woodstock pups are wicked. A U2 tribute guitarist name Gerry u2John316 told me about them They may cost $600 CAD to buy and get them installed. Still cheaper than trading my strat in for a fender elite model and paying the difference. Not to mention we're talking kinman's!
Fralin makes some really good ones, too.

The Split Blade Strat set sounds great!
20221203_002933_0.jpg

I went from elixirs to stringjoy because Stringjoy has the BEST customer experience than ANY other manufacturer in the world the website and ease of use especially when literally building a complete custom set any way you want it in less than 10 seconds and saving that to a profile for even quicker reordering is phenomenal. I use Stringjoy for my 8 string stuff.
I tried to build a custom set from D’Addario and the website is not really setup for that and when I was done, the total was almost 35 dollars for a set which is absolutely laughable! The 10-46 Stringjoy sets for my 6 string guitars just felt way too slinky for me so the D’Addario on the 6 string is where I’m at now

I went from elixirs to stringjoy because Stringjoy has the BEST customer experience than ANY other manufacturer in the world the website and ease of use especially when literally building a complete custom set any way you want it in less than 10 seconds and saving that to a profile for even quicker reordering is phenomenal. I use Stringjoy for my 8 string stuff.
I tried to build a custom set from D’Addario and the website is not really setup for that and when I was done, the total was almost 35 dollars for a set which is absolutely laughable! The 10-46 Stringjoy sets for my 6 string guitars just felt way too slinky for me so the D’Addario on the 6 string is where I’m at now
I went from EB to Stringjoy after trying Stringjoy and liking them better. The plain strings feel silky smooth, the gauges seem better balanced, and the custy service is great....

GHS 10-38s, Standard D, 0.10-0.15mm relief at the 7th fret on all my guitars the last 15 years (back then just two heavily modded MIJ RI '68 strats, now also a Parker Classic and a Parker Deluxe both pre-refined).

All my instruments can do VERY low action, but since I bend the heck out of them, extremely low action doesn't make my life easy, so I prefer mid to low action. I don't have to take measurements either, my left hand just knows.

I recently moved from D'Addario XL and/or XS 10 (high E) to Stringjoy 11's (high E). As stated above, their customer service is great. I prefer the heavier gauge strings now that my technique is improving a bit!

I'm kind of particular. I like the nut cut as low as possible, neck relief below .005" if possible and med/low action. Action is 1.5mm at the 12th fret to the high E and 2.0mm to the bottom of the low E.

Strings are NYXL 10-46 on Gibson scale guitars. 9-42 on fender scale during the summer. 9.5-44 the rest of the year...

I also prefer tall frets. Favorites are SS .055"x.095"

Last edited:
I gotten away from measuring neck relief for the sake of an annual adjustment unless I plan on doing a major change like refret bridge or nut removal/replacement, and knowing that number is just for maintaining a speedy workflow. Basic adjustment of my own instrument is more so touch feel and twist lol

Back
Top Bottom