How do you set up Button configuration live

Paulmcg34

Hi all, I'm using the ax8 live now about 6 months and im finding it easy every night on stage, I use the front 4 buttons to access scene changes and the back 4 buttons to access individual effects ie boost,chorus,delay, slapback. I have the tuner and tap tempo switches set up as normal so a pretty simple set up. Just wondering how you guys set up your ax8 live and see what ways there are out there to set it up as a traditional pedal board or as a switcher with instant access

Pretty much what you are doing except I use 3 scenes and configure the 4th bottom row switch as a boost button set to momentary (non latching) for quick fills as needed.
Good idea I was thinking of doing the same, my main boost its latched at 4db but to have another quick boost set to a 2db unlatched for fills as opposed to solos would be very usefull

Pretty much what you are doing except I use 3 scenes and configure the 4th bottom row switch as a boost button set to momentary (non latching) for quick fills as needed.
Clever. Thanks for that--it's a problem I was remotely aware of, kinda like a toothache that just isn't bad enough to go to the dentist for. Great cure!

Last edited:
I use an external momentary switch for boosted quick fills leaving buttons 1-4 for scene 1-4 and buttons 5-8 for effects. Recently though, I have been using a bank of presets for my default sounds instead so buttons 1-4 has been preset 1-4 (in that bank) because I've found preset switching faster than scene switching and a lot more flexible than trying to do a "kitchen sink" preset with lots of blocks (and high CPU) and lots of x/y changes.

I make a preset for every song, and scenes for every part of the song. The scenes are laid out chronologically on the footswitches. I also have a switch to activate an emergency volume pedal. It shouldn't be needed as every level is preprogrammed, but it is nice to have just in case. All other foot switches are blank.

Hi all, I'm using the ax8 live now about 6 months and im finding it easy every night on stage, I use the front 4 buttons to access scene changes and the back 4 buttons to access individual effects ie boost,chorus,delay, slapback. I have the tuner and tap tempo switches set up as normal so a pretty simple set up. Just wondering how you guys set up your ax8 live and see what ways there are out there to set it up as a traditional pedal board or as a switcher with instant access

I currently do almost the exact same as you.
I want more access to the effects though.
I am planning on adding the Voes MC-5jr.
It will allow me to have all 8 switches for effects.
Check it out, http://www.voes.be/#products

I set mine up pretty much the same. 1-4 are scenes, 5 is also a scene, 6 is usually a modulation of some kind Flanger or tremolo depending on the preset, 7 is delay and 8 is a volume boost.

So it seems most of you guys use the ax8 as an amp with a pedalboard as opposed to different amps for different parts of songs, I always like to get a nice clean amp and then use the pedals to color my sound, I don't have the dedication @Smittefar has to set up parts for every song ha ha

I do 1-4 scenes, 5-8 individual effects. Wah is set to auto engage using an expression pedal.

FS 1 as a toggle between S1 & S2 which are Rhythm and Lead tones.
FS2 can be a drive or occasionally an S3 switch.
FS 3 = Filter
FS4 = main drive, lead boost, or to dirty up at the same volume level.
FS5 is random - if used.
S6 = Chorus
S7 = Delay
S8 = Reverb.
I also use an external latching switch for a quick boost - not to lead volume level but just a bump up a notch for some phrases

FS 1 as a toggle between S1 & S2 which are Rhythm and Lead tones.
FS2 can be a drive or occasionally an S3 switch.
FS 3 = Filter
FS4 = main drive, lead boost, or to dirty up at the same volume level.
FS5 is random - if used.
S6 = Chorus
S7 = Delay
S8 = Reverb.
I also use an external latching switch for a quick boost - not to lead volume level but just a bump up a notch for some phrases
Alot of guys are using that method of a quick boost, I'm definitely gonna set a switch on the ax8 to do this to start with before I buy an external pedal

Alot of guys are using that method of a quick boost, I'm definitely gonna set a switch on the ax8 to do this to start with before I buy an external pedal
That's a good idea. I had an old Roland momentary switch lying around and used that at first - just to see what it was like. The problem was that there were no indicators to show if it was on or off (I'd set the switch to emulate latching in the AX8). I replaced it with a switch that has a light that changes from green to blue. I supply power to it and now I know which state it is in.

So it seems most of you guys use the ax8 as an amp with a pedalboard as opposed to different amps for different parts of songs, I always like to get a nice clean amp and then use the pedals to color my sound, I don't have the dedication @Smittefar has to set up parts for every song ha ha
It's a double edged sword really. I pay with one band only, so it's not really a problem to set up. I enjoy that part a lot. But preset maintenance is a bitch. Constant level adjustments and firmware updates requires lots of maintenance, not to mention preset evolution as I get more proficient with the unit.

But live, it is so nice to just hit one button and go directly to the sound I need, and not need to worry about it. No tap dancing, no thinking about if this song needs the compressor or a chorus.

My Axe-Fx II is my main and programmed-to-death rig.

The AX8 is my grab-and-go device. I intentionally keep its configuration as simple as possible.

I mainly use just two presets: one for electronic guitar and one for acoustic guitar.
The one for electric guitar reaches 89% at the most.

F-switches are kept at default.

Switches 1-8 engage AMP X/Y, Control Switch and basic effects (see picture). These let me change my amp tone without affecting other effects.

Amp X = Double Verb
Amp Y = Friedman BE
Control Switch = saturation.​

I can also use scenes for the same purpose:

scene 1 = clean (Double Verb with reverb)
scene 2 = dirty (Friedman BE)
scene 3 = heavy (Friedman BE with Saturation)
scene 4 = for leads

The on-board switches control two Drive blocks, Reverb, Delay, GEQ (leads) and Rotary. X and Y where available.

I use a Mission pedal as a Wah and a Boss FS-6 for Phaser/Vibe and Tremolo.

IMG_2534.JPG

Last edited:
It's a double edged sword really. I pay with one band only, so it's not really a problem to set up. I enjoy that part a lot. But preset maintenance is a bitch. Constant level adjustments and firmware updates requires lots of maintenance, not to mention preset evolution as I get more proficient with the unit.

But live, it is so nice to just hit one button and go directly to the sound I need, and not need to worry about it. No tap dancing, no thinking about if this song needs the compressor or a chorus.
I'm in the same boat as I play in only one band and the keyboard player always asks me to try making up patches for each part like he does on his Kronos, I'm definitely gonna try programme some more patches as in fenders for funky and cleans and Marshall for rock, although could I do that with an x/y switch? I've only ever scraped the surface with what this unit can do so great to hear some feed back from people like yourself who have put the time into getting the most from the unit

You should be able to set up a switch, as seen above in the lower left corner of the AX8 display, to switch between 2 amps.
AXY means, Amp X - state / Amp Y - state.

Momentary switch for Volume changes sounds great. Does this use another scene or is there a better way to achieve this?
I kept using Footswitches 1-4 for 4 Scenes with Scene 4 beeing my Solo Scene with drive and delay engaged and an +4db boost. Scenes 1-3 would differ depending on the song. Switches 5-8 would have been for using the effects standalone. But after my Band seems to change their volume almost every song (!) which is frustrating when you go from loud to quiet without changing your preset or scene i changed to using all Footswitches for Preset or effct changes and my scenes controll levels from 0db (scene 1) up to +6db (scene 4) in 2 db steps. Scenes 1-4 and 5-8 then have 2 different sound for example scene 1-4 without drive 5-8 with the drive engaged.

Newbie here...been messing with my AX8 in the evenings after work this week & am loving what i am getting out of it (my powered monitor gets In tomorrow so i am even more excited)

I've been on the fence the last 3 years on fractal/kemper & etc..but finally pulled the trigger on my AX8.

For my old rig I used a voodoo labs GCP...the bottom 4 I would use as such

1.heavy distortion 2.clean chorus/delay/reverb 3. overdrive with slight octave 4. wildcard (think the edge..)

up top 1 button would be for pitch, another for modulation, filter, delay, tuner & etc...

I've been trying to re-create this on my AX8 this week to no avail but think im at the right place as many of you seem to be running the bottom 3 or 4 as presets & the top 4 as individual stomp boxes...

my questions are...how exactly do I do that..?
would #'s 1, 2, 3 & 4 have to have the same amps/cabs & etc..?
I am at work at the moment reading the manual but without the unit physically in front of me...its rather difficult to ingest properly..

any & all assistance is greatly appreciated folks

thanks for your time

- Randy from TX

Back
Top Bottom