How do you plan to use gapless switching?

Seven2Eleven

Inspired
The Axe Fx III recently got gapless switching between channels scenes and presets. This should be coming to the FM9 as well.

I'm super excited for this but I think this creates an interesting paradox.

Before, scenes were the gapless alternative to presets (under certain conditions). But now since everything is gapless, the main benefit of using scenes over presets is largely gone.

I'm curious how people will decide to use scenes vs. presets with the new firmware. Let me know!

Well, I'm still sticking with scenes mainly because of per preset tempo and wet spillover. Wet spillovers can be problematic if you are switching between types, etc. So, you'd probably need to build presets that mostly look similar to maintain spillover. This winds up also being a problem with using the setlist feature as well. Hopefully, the spillover stuff works well with this new design, I haven't tested it on my III.

However, it does open up an entirely new ability where you could just clone a preset and and swap in/out blocks to get a certain effect that you otherwise couldn't fit in your normal preset.

However, it does open up an entirely new ability where you could just clone a preset and and swap in/out blocks to get a certain effect that you otherwise couldn't fit in your normal preset.

That's how I mostly envision using it as well. The only thing missing IMO would be global blocks. Gapless switching plus global blocks would be absolutely perfect

I am using it the same way I have for the most part. The only difference is that it is fast enough to now move scenes to other presets. It is fast enough on Af3 mkii turbo to switch presets with the slightest gap ever. I wouldn't imagine that the FM9 will be as fast, since it has half the processing. I will be very happy with much less gap than my fm9 turbo has now, though.

That's how I mostly envision using it as well. The only thing missing IMO would be global blocks. Gapless switching plus global blocks would be absolutely perfect
If you want global blocks you will have to get the af3, unfortunately. If you bring a laptop along, it can be gotten around a bit with the option to change settings across multiple presets/scenes in the edit software.

Biggest difference for me will be changing channels on the drive 1+2 blocks. I do this constantly since I primarily run all blocks like a pedalboard into edge-of-breakup amp+cab blocks.
Same, I have 4 different drive sounds in my preset at the moment

I use scene changes when switching between my acoustic guitar simulation and electric guitar, typically to do a solo. At the moment I have to mute the strings momentarily, which means my timing has to be spot on. With gapless switching I won’t have to worry.

I don't see the way I use scenes changing much but I this is obviously a huge win for useability. This does make the products so much more user friendly and will go a LONG way toward making a great first impression. Thankfully the design has allowed for creative folks to come up with some really good solutions in the past. For someone that isn't super tech savvy and just now making their way into the modeling world they will get these new benefits of simplified preset design and a smoother performance experience right off the shelf. Very exciting!

Not having to worry about timing a change or hearing a distracting gap between scenes will be a huge benefit, also a no-brainer for kitchen sink presets. Scenes are my preferred choice when I am trying to retain the "character" of a single preset when switching between multiple channels of the same amp, bypassing/activating effects, and switching song parts (intro, rhythm, solo, etc.). Less hassle than trying to keep block settings in synch across presets.

Additionally, the FM9 does not have an unlimited number of preset slots so having gapless switching within scenes, instead of switching between presets, leaves more available preset slots available. Some players use a different preset for every song. They can leverage a single preset with multiple scenes per song, instead of several presets for the same song. Again, leaving more available preset slots for extensive repertoires.

Also, I kind of take gapless scene switching for granted as my other modelers have it, so it will be nice not to have to think about it or navigate around it, although as others have mentioned, it is often not even an issue.

For me a Preset is a "rig" centered around a single Amp and Cab, but tweaked for a given guitar. So, for amp models I use with multiple guitars I have separate Presets tailored specifically for my Tele and Strat.

Scenes select different levels of gain/dirt (primarily though Amp/Cab/Drive channels); often tailored for different pickups. For example in my FTR-37-Strat PresetI have the following Scenes:
  1. Clean (Neck)
  2. Clean (Middle)
  3. Grit (Neck)
  4. Grit (Middle)
  5. Dirt (for Middle and Bridge)
  6. Drive (pretty much only for Bridge)
With seamless switching between Presets I guess I could just have a different Preset for everything and not bother with Scenes, but I like to think about a Preset as plugging into a specific Amp/Cab (although tailored for each guitar) and Scenes within each Preset as being different levels of gain/dirt and mic positions/mix tailored for different pickups.

I then use an "Effects" layout on my FC-6 to control effects (Delay channel/bypass, Reverb channel/bypass, etc.).

I have played with Presets with a Scene which uses an expression pedal to control gain/dirt (using multiple modifiers tied to the same pedal source), but have found it more convenient to just use "fixed gain" Scenes instead and using my guitar volume within a Scene to fine tune the grit.

But now since everything is gapless, the main benefit of using scenes over presets is largely gone.
I don't necessarily agree with that. I'd rather maintain 1 preset using 8 scenes for variations than maintain 8 presets.

However, I absolutely think it will change my workflow and that of many others.

I'll probably rely more on presets to get more variations than trying to stuff everything into kitchen sink presets.

Why does FAS not display the CPU load of all cores? A question of optimization of the processing code or what else?

Why does FAS not display the CPU load of all cores? A question of optimization of the processing code or what else?
It would be very complicated because of the cores/CPUs having dedicated functions.

For example, the FM9 having 1 core dedicated to Reverb and supporting 2 Reverb blocks, you will not consume that core and it has no impact on anything else.

Similar for Delays. Similar for Amps.

The only CPU that matters to you is the one "shared" by everything else.

The Axe Fx III recently got gapless switching between channels scenes and presets. This should be coming to the FM9 as well.

I'm super excited for this but I think this creates an interesting paradox.

Before, scenes were the gapless alternative to presets (under certain conditions). But now since everything is gapless, the main benefit of using scenes over presets is largely gone.

I'm curious how people will decide to use scenes vs. presets with the new firmware. Let me know!

I never change presets during a song, so this doesn't represent any significant change on my life
Emily Osment Nothing GIF by CBS

Back
Top Bottom