How do you maintain the amp settings to easily/quickly audition different variations of a particular amp model.

Lopp

Inspired
How do you maintain settings, or set default settings, when changing amp models?

Before anyone gets riled up about how particular parameters are completely different between different amp models, I am talking about different variations of the same brand and model.

For example, I have a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe. It has little switches for the C45, saturation, fat, etc. I can readily determine how a setting, like the C45, changes the tone when all other settings remain constant. However, with the Axe-Fx, to compare the Friedman BE with or without the C45 or the fat setting, the amp model needs to be changed, which resets all the other settings. Same goes for all the variations of the Boogie Mark amps, such as the IIC+/Bright/Deep/Deep Bright or the USA Lead Bright/Mid Gain/Mid Gain Boost.

As a more particular example, I have plenty of experience dialing in Mark-type amps (Mark IV, Quad, TriAxis) and always reduce the bass, boost the treble, and do other tweaks that I prefer on these amps. I can also just flip the bright switch or other switches to hear how it affects my current settings. However, I am unsure of a way to easily compare the variations of the USA Lead model while maintaining the other desired settings.

What is the easiest way to swap amp models of the same amp type while maintaining the settings?

Full disclosure: I am using a FM9, but this seems like a general question about most Fractal products and I figure the most people with the most experience are here, as the FM9 still fairly new and pool is limited. Apologies if I posted in the wrong section.

AFAIK there is no easy way to do that. Changing the type will change parameters. I’ve wondered about that as well.
I was thinking the same thing. And I've wanted to try this as well.

Seems to me even if you set up, for example, the JPIIC Red model exactly the way you want it, across all 4 channels (that part is easy to do), but wanted to compare it to the JPIIC Red Shred model (which would just be hitting a switch in the real amp), as soon as you switch that model, you lose your settings.

I think it would be nice if the Fractal stuff modeled the amps in the same manner as their real-life counterparts, as opposed to having various different models of the same amp. But it is what it is.

Maybe you could use the snapshot function? Or you could use scene controllers? Tie them up to the parameters you wish to preserve. I don't know if this will do you any good. But maybe worth a shot?

Seems to me even if you set up, for example, the JPIIC Red model exactly the way you want it, across all 4 channels (that part is easy to do), but wanted to compare it to the JPIIC Red Shred model (which would just be hitting a switch in the real amp), as soon as you switch that model, you lose your settings.
For this example, you just have to turn on the input boost in the preamp section and use the « shred » as this one is in the od list ☺️

I’d say use the same block and the ABCD slots for the various different configurations you want to compare. Would make the most sense to me.
Good idea, but I think changing the amp block in each ABCD channel still resets the parameters.

And you have two amps available (Axe Fx III and FM9) => a total of 8 scenes :)
In addition you can also use snap shots if you need more.
Maybe you could use the snapshot function? Or you could use scene controllers? Tie them up to the parameters you wish to preserve. I don't know if this will do you any good. But maybe worth a shot?
I wasn't familiar with the shapshot function and just did some research. @Cooper Carter has a great video.
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like when you change the amp after taking a shapshot, the settings still reset.

I am looking to audition variations of a particular amp or brand without having to re-dial-in all my settings just to change the amp model.

Fractool has an amp compare function, it changes the type only keeping all settings unchanged.
Thanks. I'll look into that.

I would think scene controllers are your best bet here. Attach up to four parameters to scene controllers and assign the values in the controller menu. Then when you change the amp type, those values will stay the same. That’s how I’ve done it in the past.

Last edited:
it looks like when you change the amp after taking a shapshot, the settings still reset.
Why not just use scenes and channels?

Scene 1 / Channel A: Amp block 1 / 1st amp
Scene 2 / Channel B: Amp block 1 / 2nd amp
Scene 3 / Channel C: Amp block 1 / 3rd amp
Scene 4 / Channel D: Amp block 1 / 4th amp

Last edited:
Yeah this is something thats annoyed me as well. Pretty sure there is a wish post or 2 about it.
I sort of understand why it works the way it does. If you change to a completely different amp, you’ll often get nonsense if the other parameters don’t change.

But for the specific case the OP is asking about, it would be useful if they didn’t change.

Maybe the AxeFX could recognize when changing the type is really the same amp, and leave the parameters intact in that situation.

In the meantime using fractool seems like the way to do what the OP wants.

Back
Top Bottom