How do you maintain the amp settings to easily/quickly audition different variations of a particular amp model.

This could also be useful when changing different amp types as well - say you want to compare how a Twin sounds at given settings with a Deluxe or a Princeton. Or a Freidman vs a Marshall, Vox/Morgan, etc.

Maybe if there was a toggle to "not update settings when changing amp types"? (of course under the hood will change but this way you keep all your eq, switches, compressor, sag, etc...)

The OP wants to compare different variations of the same amp model at the same settings.

No. The OP wants to change the type without changing any other parameters. The answer was given above. Use Fractool.

The goal was to compare variations of the same amp while maintaining parameter continuity.

In the context of my question, I think both of you are correct. At least to me, "different variations of the same amp" is synonymous with "change the amp type" when you read it in context of my question that clarified I was looking to keep settings/parameters of different, but similar, amp types/models.

I recently had to do some comparisons after accidently saving a preset without it being backed up. I ended up making two presets with diff. names v1 & v2 using the snap shot function as I changed parameters while reverting back to the preset's saved settings. The snapshot jumps you back to the preset it was taken in and changes the parameter values to whatever they were when the snapshot was taken. Very handy. Also learned to back up my presets more often.

I've also used the utility in FracTool that allows you to export all the parameters of a preset to a spreadsheet; that could have some use here. It's a pain in the butt way to do it, but it's something.

Fractool has an amp compare function, it changes the type only keeping all settings unchanged.
+1 on the FracTool. @AlGrenadine’s software has a bunch of very useful utilities; it’s worth driving into.
...The answer was given above. Use Fractool.
In the meantime using fractool seems like the way to do what the OP wants.
Thanks for the tips. FracTool seems like the best (only) option for comparing similar amp models quickly and easily.

Uhhh... I installed FracTool, can save presets, and can see stuff on AxeChange. However, nothing meaningful (to me) shows up on the AmpsCompare tab. At least it doesn't look like what is shown here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/

Instead, it looks like this:
FracTool Amp Compare Screenshot 2022-09-20.jpg

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for the tips. FracTool seems like the best (only) option for comparing similar amp models quickly and easily.

Uhhh... I installed FracTool, can save presets, and can see stuff on AxeChange. However, nothing meaningful (to me) shows up on the AmpsCompare tab. At least it doesn't look like what is shown here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/

View attachment 108734

@AlGrenadine

I sort of understand why it works the way it does. If you change to a completely different amp, you’ll often get nonsense if the other parameters don’t change.
You know, I've thought about it, and came to the same conclusion, but when you switch to a different GEQ's, it tries to save your band parameters in a "similar" way that you have them set, so I think they could write some code to make this happen, but it would take a LOT of work, since you'd effectively have to have instructions for which parameters to match, and which ones to discard, for every possible amp change that one could make.

I'd be happy if they at least made the parameters stay the same when switching within amp models, i.e., if your just switching to a different Tri Axis, or JPIIC, etc.

View attachment 108734

Doesn't work with fm9

Doesn't work with fm9
Thanks for the quick response.

It looks like there is no easy way to set an amp's settings and quickly compare similar variations of the amp with the same settings on the FM9. All the FracTool suggestions were understandable because this is the Axe-Fx III sub.

How do you maintain settings, or set default settings, when changing amp models?

Before anyone gets riled up about how particular parameters are completely different between different amp models, I am talking about different variations of the same brand and model...

...What is the easiest way to swap amp models of the same amp type while maintaining the settings?

No. The OP wants to change the type without changing any other parameters. The answer was given above. Use Fractool.

The goal was to compare variations of the same amp while maintaining parameter continuity.
For clarification, plz read the OP's original post. Thanks, guys.

In the context of my question, I think both of you are correct. At least to me, "different variations of the same amp" is synonymous with "change the amp type" when you read it in context of my question that clarified I was looking to keep settings/parameters of different, but similar, amp types/models.
This post slipped past me. @Lopp accepted a wider range of understanding than I'd thought.
Thanks. As I mentioned, his original request was answered above: use Fractool. Unfortunately it turns out he's using an FM9.
FracTool would have been beneficial for the Axe III. I'd guess that there isn't a solid way one can expect amp model parameters to be retained when switching between them, though when I switch between Double Verb Silverface, and Vibro Verb, the settings are retained.

Have tried this with only these 2 amps, but it may be possible YMMV...might it be that comparably configured basic amps might translate well each time? (IOW, they're compatible with each other, and each parameter will translate because the same adjustments are possible?)

Last edited:
FracTool would have been beneficial for the Axe III. I'd guess that there isn't a solid way one can expect amp model parameters to be retained when switching between them, though when I switch between Double Verb Silverface, and Vibro Verb, the settings are retained.

Have tried this with only these 2 amps, but it may be possible YMMV...might it be that comparably configured basic amps might translate well each time? (IOW, they're compatible with each other?)
That's interesting about that switching between the Double Verb Silverface and Vibro Verb maintains the settings.

I just tried between different Friedman BE models, such as the Friedman BE V1 and the Friedman BE V1 Fat, which should be almost exactly the same except for the fat switch engaged on the amp. The tone knobs (Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Depth) always reset to default.

Hmmm... I also just tried it between the Double Verb Silverface and the Double Verb Vibrato. Everything on the Tone tab reset except for three parameters: the Gain, Level, and Balance, which didn't change when switching models (I didn't check parameters in the other tabs). That has some benefits, but not for the purpose of comparing tones, such as when engaging and disengaging the fat switch or comparing different versions of a given amp, such as the Friedman BE V1, V2, and V3.

That's interesting about that switching between the Double Verb Silverface and Vibro Verb maintains the settings.

I just tried between different Friedman BE models, such as the Friedman BE V1 and the Friedman BE V1 Fat, which should be almost exactly the same except for the fat switch engaged on the amp. The tone knobs (Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Depth) always reset to default.

Hmmm... I also just tried it between the Double Verb Silverface and the Double Verb Vibrato. Everything on the Tone tab reset except for three parameters: the Gain, Level, and Balance, which didn't change when switching models (I didn't check parameters in the other tabs). That has some benefits, but not for the purpose of comparing tones, such as when engaging and disengaging the fat switch or comparing different versions of a given amp, such as the Friedman BE V1, V2, and V3.
What you might need to do is locate 2 or more amps that share comparable knobs and switches within FM9-Edit's amp blocks.

It may not necessarily work equally for amps that are configured slightly differently, but just like converting from an entire preset from FM3 to FM9, if the configuration is the same, the settings might translate correctly.

Don't shoot the messenger yet, I think I might be onto something...

What you might need to do is locate 2 or more amps that share comparable knobs and switches within FM9-Edit's amp blocks.

It may not necessarily work equally for amps that are configured slightly differently, but just like converting from an entire preset from FM3 to FM9, if the configuration is the same, the settings might translate correctly.
That's what I did with the Friedman BE V1 and V1 Fat, the BE V1, V2, and V3, and the Double Verb Silverface and the Double Verb Vibrato. Only the Gain, Level, and Balance were maintained.

Don't shoot the messenger yet, I think I might be onto something...
Ooooh. I know you said, "might," but I'm looking forward to it.

That's what I did with the Friedman BE V1 and V1 Fat, the BE V1, V2, and V3, and the Double Verb Silverface and the Double Verb Vibrato. Only the Gain, Level, and Balance were maintained.

Ooooh. I know you said, "might," but I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah, it’ll likely require a test scenario where 2 comparable amp models are selected. I’ll use the Double Verb Silverface and Vibro Verb as an example, and compare the Basic & Ideal parameters for each, and place them within one preset & scene on separate channels.
If I can set up one amp with predetermined parameter settings, then import the 2nd amp to the same channel, it might be possible to compare channels and see if the original amp parameters copied into the imported amp.
If yes, that’ll prove that if amp blocks are configured the same, the settings will port to a likewise configured amp block.
If no, meaning that the settings return to default and are the same when comparing amp channels, that’ll disprove my theory.
The compromise might be if “some settings are retained.” My gut feeling tells me that this will be the likely test results. It won’t prove or disprove my theory; what remains to be seen is if both amps are configured the same. If they are, that’s a mitigating factor. If they’re not configured the same, I’ll need to research more until I can find 2 amp models that are likewise configured.

I’ll call this “The Compatibility Test.” It’ll help FM9 owners to compare similar or equal amp models with the same parameter settings.

One additional way to compare dissimilar amp model blocks is to set 2 to 4 amp blocks within 1 preset on 4 separate channels, and prerecord a guitar part in a Looper block before the amp block. You could continuously play the prerecorded part while switching between amp channels, and use your ears to compare each amp model.

Credit goes to LT for this idea; LT made a video about it some months ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom