how do you load new firmware to FX8 ?

From the Firmware Update Guide, enclosed with the firmware file:

FX8 FIRMWARE UPDATE GUIDE

What is Firmware? Why do I need to update?

Firmware is technically software. it runs like an operating system inside your FX8. Firmware uses version numbers: 1.01, 1.02, 2.0, etc. Every FX8 sell by Fractal Audio Systems is shipped with the latest version installed. You can check your version any time by pressing SETUP, UTILITY (#3) and paging to the FIRMWARE screen. Our products are upgradeable, and we are committed to continual improvement. The free updates we release are highly anticipated by our customers. We add new effects and features, upgrade capabilities, fix issues, and more. We recommend keeping the firmware in your unit up to date as new versions are released. Should you encounter any trouble with the update process, please refer to Troubleshooting & FAQ (p. 2).

How do I update my FX8?

Updating the firmware of your FX8 is easy with Fractal-Bot, our free MIDI utility.

I. Connect FX8 to your Computer using a standard USB cable (not included). A DRIVER is NOT required.

II. Install Fractal-Bot (Required only the first time you use it, or when an updated version becomes available).
Download and install Fractal-Bot from our web site at Fractal Audio Systems - Fractal-Bot MIDI Utility for the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101
NOTE: Since the launch of Fractal-Bot, however, we no longer provide support for configuring or using 3rd party applications.

III. Download and Unzip The Firmware… And Read The Release Notes!

Since you’re reading this file typically packaged with firmware, you’ve probably done this already... If not, the latest firmware can be found on our web site at Fractal Audio Systems - Firmware is packaged in a zip archive that may contain various documents in addition to the actual firmware, which will be a .syx file -- MIDI System Exclusive or “SysEx” file. Extract this .syx file to a location you can easily find when required. Do not double-click the .syx file. Fractal-Bot will prompt for its location when it is needed. Please read the “Release Notes” included with the firmware download. They’ll let you know what’s new and alert you to anything you may need to be aware of before updating to the new version.

IV. Launch Fractal-Bot And Perform The Update

Fractal-Bot is easy to use. Simply launch the application and proceed through three self-explanatory steps.
For additional information, consult the Fractal-Bot Manual, included with the Fractal-Bot download.

Before performing a firmware update, it may be wise to back up the settings of your FX8. Fractal-Bot’s RECEIVE feature provides a convenient and self-guided way to do this.
NOTE: Firmware updates will frequently be accompanied by new versions of the FX8 Factory Presets. These will be available on our web site support page and can also be installed using Fractal-Bot.

I tried to installed fractal Bot on my lap top windows 8.1 but it won't let me get past ready it won't let me browse or begin. Is it because of my computer? I just tried to reinstall it but but still #2 Browse and #3 Begin are not active it's stuck on #1 ready

Last edited:
BROWSE becomes available after you've selected the FX8 as device.

BEGIN becomes available after you've used BROWSE to select the firmware file (gotta download that first).

I have an old system running Vista. I had trouble running Bot at first. I emailed fractal support they got back to me fast with a fix. In the meantime I used midi-OX and it worked. Midi-OX will go slow but will work.

I'm having the same problem - Fractal Bot won't let me past ready. After selecting FX8, and making sure both fields are set to FX8 Midi, I can't click anything in "Set". The check marks don't display next to the FX8 Midi, although there is one next to FX8.

edit: spoke too soon. Just took a computer reset and worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Also having problems with the latest version of Fractal Bot and V2 firmware on a Mac.
It tells me it cannot complete the operation and to reboot the FX8.

I'm using a freeware app to do it at the moment, which is taking forever.

Back
Top Bottom