How do you guys use colors in managing your presets?

wtfoley3

Question for the AXE-FX Peanut Gallery... curious to know of any particular system you use in assigning a color to your presets in Axe-Edit. Read some insightful previous threads about approaches to preset organization within the AXE as well as on your computer, but didn’t see mention of color assignment as an organization/identification tool. Rock on!

I don't use it for presets so much, the names do the trick, but it's been useful on IRs and Amp models.

Just kind of stick to a general system of cooler colors (e.g., yellow = low gain) and gradually step up from there.

Blue - crunch / Orange - midgain / Red - high gain.

That kind of thing.

Definitely helps with the character of IRs too.
How it responds to a fixed gain level then determines the color code in much the same manner.

From max clean (green) to max distorted (purple):
clean green
breakup yellow
Crunch orange
Dist red
Insane purple

blue for strange and absurd Ultra-FX-Wet

From max clean (green) to max distorted (purple):
clean green
breakup yellow
Crunch orange
Dist red
Insane purple

blue for strange and absurd Ultra-FX-Wet
Pretty close to mine. I used to have an M13 so I kinda follow those colors:
Yellow = clean
Orange = crunch
Red = disto
Blue = heavy mod
Green = heavy delay
Purple = pitch shifts

I’ve started using different colours on IRs with different mic characteristics. So an IR with a 57 is blue, and an IR with a 121 is green so I know they’ll pair together well

I have a preset for every song of our repertoire and I basically use scenes exclusively.

The chorus scene tends to be Red, except for when it's not distorted. Then I use white. The verses tend to be Blue and Purple is for solos.

Well those are the basics. When it comes to additional controllers, scenes which do not follow ordinary song structures, I make sure, that the colors are sufficiently different from another, so that I can see where I currently am with just a little glance to the floor, since I also sing in the band.

+1 regarding usage of different presets per song and working with scenes.

On my FC-12 I have the scenes on the lower row (switch 1-5) and they are light blue. All other knobs for preset +/-1, tuner, tap etc. have different colours. I turn the light off for the scenes I am not using in a preset (e.g. preset for Basket Case has only 1 scene, preset for Dani California has 5 scenes). The active scene shines is brighter than the others so I can see immediately where I am. This setting is great for live playing.

Last edited:
I gave up. There aren't enough colors available for presets or cabs to make it practical. I prefer a numbering or lettering scheme that offered far more groups.

I find them quite helpful. Also, more colours would be nice :).
I have different presets for different guitars, namely:
Presets for Les Paul are marked red.
Presets for Stratocaster are marked yellow.
Presets for both Les Paul and Stratocaster are marked orange.

:)

Hi,
I find some presets motivate me and I end up playing them longer than others... clean, dirty, doesn’t seem to matter-they are just “good”. I color them red, and bass presets blue. Basic, I know!
Thanks
Pauly

Question for the AXE-FX Peanut Gallery... curious to know of any particular system you use in assigning a color to your presets in Axe-Edit. Read some insightful previous threads about approaches to preset organization within the AXE as well as on your computer, but didn’t see mention of color assignment as an organization/identification tool. Rock on!

Back
Top Bottom