How do you get your rig from stage to car?

geoangus

Inspired
So after tonight’s rehearsal, I need to find a better way to get my gear from the stage to the car. My Axe FX is in a four space rack (with Furman and wireless), I have a non-neo CLR, MFC is in a carry bag but I need to put it on a pedalboard, a small gym bag (iPad, cables, strings, capo, tools, etc,) and tonight just one guitar in a G&G case, but I usually bring 2 guitars in hard shell cases.

If I feel like hurting myself, I can do it in 2 trips, but I’ve had some rotator cuff issues (impingement) for nearly a year, so I’ve started to do it in 3.

There has to be a better way! How do you move your gear from the car to stage and back? FWIW, I drive a Nissan Altima.

4U Roto-mold SKU rack in one hand. MFC on a PedalTrain in a PT bag in the other. Two guitars on my back in my Mono Dual case. Then I'll do a second trip for the powered speaker if I need it.

If it's the AX8 rig it's the two guitars in the Mono Dual case on my back, the AX8/EV-2s/etc. in a Mono Kontroller bag in one hand and the powered speaker in the other hand.

I was wondering how good those are. Especially the all-terrain aspect. Our rehearsal space is our bassist’s walk out basement. But it’s uphill across the lawn to get back to the car. And how low do they collapse?
With 6” wheels, you should be able to do it, unless your bassist’s lawn is soaked and soft.

How low does it fold? They have full specs for each model on their website.

This is how I do it.
From the stage:
Denver International Airport. They had a climbing wall, a zip line (out of view), and there's a canoe on the ground with fake water for fake fishing. Hilarious. DIA has coolest layovers ever.

39553143514_c3d76a8c43_c.jpg

Across cobblestone plaza, down the elevator, across the length of a big hotel

39553072904_997b00b9aa_c.jpg

Out the hotel, through Valet, across the road and up a long ramp to the parking lot. From there it's about 75 yards to the car.

Dolly folds from cart to flat to load into a subaru wagon.
It's holding pedalboard, 2 racks, 2 CLRs, RCF sub, 8" FBT monitor, electric guitar, speaker stands, 100' power, clothes and other small stuff.

39553131534_56cc8f3be4_c.jpg

@solo-act I've tried carts like that but can never bond with them.

Not sure if it's because I'm tall, 6'5", but I roll way faster with the hand truck and everything cinch strapped and upright.

AX8 in the Mono 365, Dual guitar case, Xitone in other hand. I have a cart but never seem to need it.

For me, the wildcard in any gig transport situation is the guitar stand. It’s always one extra thing to carry.

I could run a 8u rack with Axe FX and poweramp, MFC on a pedaltrain board in a gigbag, 2 1x12 cabs, keyboard, keyboard stand, 4 guitar hardcases, guitarstand for 4 guitars and a bag full of cables and stuff, all by myself in 3 trips from my car. If you got a wheeled rack that makes things a lot easier as you can pile a lot of stuff (MFC, cabs) on top of it. And I can carry 2 guitar cases by their handles in each hand.

As for a small guitar stand, one that you put inside a gigbag or maybe even a guitar case, maybe something like this?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_gs_2012.htm

Or you could always try and ask the venue to provide a couple. If they booked you and you had to travel long distance, especially by air, they'll probably understand that you have to travel light and that they have to provide parts of the backline.

Last edited:
I saw the UPS delivery guy was using a Magliner Gemini convertible cart that seemed to hold up well to that sort of abuse, so I got one. There are two sizes, depending on what you need. They are a little pricey as dollies go, but I certainly see why UPS uses them. Damn near indestructible, works upright or in a 4 wheel cart mode, has tires that look and respond like pneumatic but they're solid so never need air, and holds 500 pounds in 2 wheel and 1000 pounds in 4 wheel. It's an investment but I love mine, especially when the stage is a long way from the parking area.

Back
Top Bottom