How do you get a long sustain in the drive block

Here's an interesting example I came into tonight. I muted after the attack, and let whatever goodness might come out.

Guys is the noise gate in the global settings?

I have always struggled to find it.

Yeah, every time I go to the front panel - like fucking never, but you know - I'm totally fuckin lost in finding the input gate. I just forget how to get there. It's not accessible from the layout grid, like it is in AE, which is weird.

What did you mute? I'm hearing strings ringing out.

They woulda rung out a lot louder an longer had I not muted the them - very lightly I did - and would also have missed the sympathetic tones that you hear instead. It was total accident, as I'm improvising all my pieces, and a lot of the harmonics and such are some combination of knowledge, intent, and fortune. Often the last is at least half of it.

I forgot to mention that last was through studio monitors, though the volume was only a little above conversation level. Volume wil get you a lot, but I find it unnecessary to get the core of the tone sustaining, and actually I prefer the ability for true decay and dynamics between strings and mutings......

...a lot of the harmonics and such are some combination of knowledge, intent, and fortune. Often the last is at least half of it.
So true. Some days, it's "Cool! Did I really just play that?" Other days, it's "What the heck am I doing up here, anyway?" :)

So true. Some days, it's "Cool! Did I really just play that?" Other days, it's "What the heck am I doing up here, anyway?" :)

My fortune actually is quite rich. By the lack of response to my posted clips, I think no one gets it, but when I listen back to them, I hear the various tones, mingling, trying and teasing each other, and I say 'oh yeah'.

My fortune actually is quite rich. By the lack of response to my posted clips, I think no one gets it, but when I listen back to them, I hear the various tones, mingling, trying and teasing each other, and I say 'oh yeah'.
I think the lack of response has more to do with the fact that the OP is looking for a multi-measure, Santana-like sustain. The shifting, layered clips you posted, as sweet and engaging as they are, aren't germaine to the goal.

I think the lack of response has more to do with the fact that the OP is looking for a multi-measure, Santana-like sustain. The shifting, layered clips you posted, as sweet and engaging as they are, aren't germaine to the goal.

Possibly. I thought Gary Moore was the source of inspiration......of which, in the sole clip I've heard, I did hear the sustain he was talking about. I've not heard anything like that with Santana....but I can't stand his tone or music.......

Possibly. I thought Gary Moore was the source of inspiration......of which, in the sole clip I've heard, I did hear the sustain he was talking about. I've not heard anything like that with Santana....but I can't stand his tone or music.......
Same thing, really. They're both long, smooth sustain, supported by acoustic feedback. Tasty stuff, either way.

Back
Top Bottom