How do you drop your pitch a half or whole step?

tonyi

Inspired
OK, I'm inserting a pitch block on the grid, setting it to detune, detune down 2 and setting mix to 100%. I'm still in the same key. What am I leaving out?

Many thanks. I downloaded someone's block for half step down and whole step down but I can't figure out how to get it show up in the blocks library. Thanks again!!

I use the tuning keys on my guitar ;)

I think I might have to settle for this myself. I've tried using the pitch block with the above method but it just isn't natural enough. The latency kills it. I know Simeon has come up with a way to mask this somewhat, but it's still not usable for normal everyday playing (for me anyway). Hopefully this can be improved eventually.

Anyone know which MIDI CC # is assigned to the tuning keys by default? I checked the wiki.

I was speaking of the tuning gears on my guitar. I would rather bring another guitar than use a pitch-shiftier. It just doesn't work for me most of the time(any pitch shifter that I've tried).

There is no CC assigned to the Key parameter

I've never found a pitch shifter which doesn't have a pronounced latency so I'd always just switched guitars.

Having said that I've not tried the Fractal system.

I was speaking of the tuning gears on my guitar. I would rather bring another guitar than use a pitch-shiftier. It just doesn't work for me most of the time(any pitch shifter that I've tried).

There is no CC assigned to the Key parameter

I think he was being sarcastic.

Totally agreed with the switching guitars thing. I can't stand the latency of pitch shifters.

I'm interested in an answer outside of switching guitars. While it'd be nice to have a guitar for every tuning, gear adds up fairly quickly when you're traveling, so IMO, the less the better! My XL is coming in today, so I'm sure I'll find my own answer relatively soon, but do you all think the latency from pitch shifting is that bad? Like, unusable? It seems odd that the AXE can recreate amps and effects to the tee, but can't pitch shift. Hm..

I'm interested in an answer outside of switching guitars. While it'd be nice to have a guitar for every tuning, gear adds up fairly quickly when you're traveling, so IMO, the less the better! My XL is coming in today, so I'm sure I'll find my own answer relatively soon, but do you all think the latency from pitch shifting is that bad? Like, unusable? It seems odd that the AXE can recreate amps and effects to the tee, but can't pitch shift. Hm..

I dont know of anything that does accurate pitch shifting with no latency. Bottom line, the further you get from the original pitch the more latency there will be. The rules of physics suck like that.

I picked up a Gibson Robot Les Paul. Works great!

Seriously, the Robot is a decent product. If you like open and drop tunings, it's pretty handy for live work. No more fiddling with odd tunings between songs, or extra guitar switches. It reduces the amount of gear I need to carry along, and nothing nails the sound of a detuned guitar like... well, a detuned guitar.

I play primarily in Drop B (B-F#-B-E-G#-C#). I intend to use the pitch shift to play a few newer songs we have in Drop A. I wonder how the Robot Guitar would handle that!

I play primarily in Drop B (B-F#-B-E-G#-C#). I intend to use the pitch shift to play a few newer songs we have in Drop A. I wonder how the Robot Guitar would handle that!

Not sure. I personally haven't tried anything tuned that low, and I know it's not one of the default options. You'd have to have one of the versions that supports custom tunings and give it a try. I did see that Tronical (the folks that developed the Robot technology before being bought by Gibson) is selling aftermarket systems for guitars again. Yet another option.

Seriously, the Robot is a decent product. If you like open and drop tunings, it's pretty handy for live work. No more fiddling with odd tunings between songs, or extra guitar switches. It reduces the amount of gear I need to carry along, and nothing nails the sound of a detuned guitar like... well, a detuned guitar.

Never again for me after owning the Dark Fire. It spent more time being repaired than being played and the tuner freaked out on me one time, the string breaking actually scratched by bottom eye lid. They wound up not have parts for the thing after sitting at Gibson for 3 months. The finally just gave me a new Standard Plus Top instead.

Back
Top Bottom