how do you control high end when going real power amp and cabinet ?

CT76

Inspired
Honest question, I don’t see the need to provide more frequencies than are really there. When I go straight fm3 to poweramp to cab it’s so obnoxious in the high end, my mooer preamp live isn’t like that at all it’s just like an amp.

I find I have to cut the high treble by -9.00 , so it seems mooer only represents the frequencies the amp has and no other, where the fractal needs to be dialed in to sound like a guitar amp, why offer these frequencies at all? Or am I wrong all together?

It's not as simple as "why are these frequencies represented?". There's a lot to untangle here;

-The typical frequency response of a loaded amplifier has a lot of information above 10khz
-Typical guitar speakers have a pretty aggressive high end roll off above 5-6khz
-Microphones have their own frequency response, that when coupled with close micing techniques can result in a lot of extra high and low end information being captured.
-Dialing in an amp for an enjoyable mic'd tone is usually very different to dialling in an enjoyable :amp in the room" sound
-Studio style equalizers are designed to deal with diverse instruments, so tend to represent a broad range of frequencies
-Guitar modellers often include studio style equalizers, either as stand alone blocks or in their cabinet emulation blocks for tone shaping.
-If you're playing through a guitar cab, speaker choice is going to be a massive factor in the overall "in the room" experience.

You don't mention the rest of your rig here - what guitar, speakers and power amp are you using, and what type of "amp in the room" tone are you chasing?

Last edited:
CT76 - I assume this is a joke lost in translation?.....
no, I just recently acquired a mooer preamp live, I was mad as hell when I plugged it into the same set up as my fractal but it was just more, more of everything. I love my fractal but the fractals short comings really came out recently. I figured since Mooer doesn't offer eq on the preamp, and its not needed, that they just gave us the useful frequencies and trimmed all the fat

There's a lot to untangle here;

-The typical frequency response of a loaded amplifier has a lot of information above 10khz
-Typical guitar speakers have a pretty aggressive high end roll off above 5-6khz
-Microphones have their own frequency response, that when coupled with close micing techniques can result in a lot of extra high and low end information being captured.
-Dialing in an amp for an enjoyable mic'd tone is usually very different to dialling in an enjoyable :amp in the room" sound
-Studio style equalizers are designed to deal with diverse instruments, so tend to represent a broad range of frequencies
-Guitar modellers often include studio style equalizers, either as stand alone blocks or in their cabinet emulation blocks for tone shaping.
-If you're playing through a guitar cab, speaker choice is going to be a massive factor in the overall "in the room" experience.

You don't mention the rest of your rig here - what guitar, speakers and power amp are you using, and what type of "amp in the room" tone are you chasing?
you can't deny plugging into a ss power amp and cab that the fractal is very buzzy and shrill compared to others

There's a lot to untangle here;

I use a electric amps purple cab loaded with eminence man o wars, with a quilter pro block, apples to apples everything the same, the mooer is just more amp like

no, I just recently acquired a mooer preamp live, I was mad as hell when I plugged it into the same set up as my fractal but it was just more, more of everything. I love my fractal but the fractals short comings really came out recently. I figured since Mooer doesn't offer eq on the preamp, and its not needed, that they just gave us the useful frequencies and trimmed all the fat
If that’s why fractal sounds sooo digital I mean going into a real poweramp and cab
You haven't said what was in your signal chain in your Fractal, nor anything about your amp and cab. Do you have a Cab block? Do you have power amp modeling disabled?

Please also explain what "digital" sounds like.

I would much rather have the full 20hz - 20khz range and have the tools to filter out what I don't need, than not have the full range and find I need some of it.

When it comes to audio, it's much, much easier to cut something out, than put something there that doesn't exist.
I figured this would be the most logical, I wish fractal would provide better instructions on how to match source amps, this is why I always leave. I see more people trying to get real amp tones than the other , I would hope they would make it easier

You haven't said what was in your signal chain in your Fractal, nor anything about your amp and cab. Do you have a Cab block? Do you have power amp modeling disabled?

power amp on, on both units, no cab as im going into a real cab on both units. im using hum buster cables from fractal, bc rich guitars, mogami cables and Petrucci dunlop picks

the digital definition is over extended high frequencies that make the sound sterile and shrill

It's not as simple as "why are these frequencies represented?". There's a lot to untangle here;

im taking everything out of this equation, very simple im going amp only into a real cab and power amp

Do you have a source amp you're trying to match, and if so what is it?

A given modeller being accurate versus being to your preference are two different questions too. it's totally possible one modeller is more accurate when compared to a given reference amp, but less to your individual preference.

At the end of the day rely on the mantra "ears not eyes", whatever platform you're using.

Back
Top Bottom