How do I tone match pickups?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I'd like to try tone matching one pickup in my guitar (bridge) compared to another (neck) to see if this would be usable in place of a pickup selection change mid-song.

Anyone try this before?

In any case, can someone experienced with tone matching give me a basic run down of the required steps?

Thanks!

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have wanted to try this as well!

The tone match block is an average, so I thought that maybe a strum on one pickup for the 'remote' and a strum on the other for the 'local' might do it! I'm going to have to try this.

Record a dry signal of your bridge pickup (you can use the looper if you want)

Create a preset with the Tone Match block only (or with the looper before the Tone Match block if you opted to record in the looper)

Send the dry recording into the Tone Match block as the reference signal and capture it.

Set your guitar to the neck pickup and play it through the Tone Match block as the local signal and capture it.

Hit match.

Now you can use that block as the FIRST block in your preset.
When it's muted (and set to thru) and you are playing the neck pickup, you will hear the neck pickup as is.
When it's un-muted, you will hear it tone matched to the bridge pickup.

You can optionally save the Tone Match to a cab and then use the CAB block set to this cab in place of the Tone Match block.

PS If you aren't familiar with tone matching in general, be aware that it may take several attempts at capturing the reference and local signals to get something usable. This is especially true when matching dry signals like this.

I think there was some collaborate project going on a year back or so,
they were trying to tonematch different guitar types .. I am not sure I remember it correctly.

and I don't know about the result but it could be worth searching for and checking out :)

To bring just 3 guitars to gig and not the lot of 10-15 guitars, and still get in the same ballpark would be really nice.

Fat'n up the tele or thin out the Les Paul, or hit some stratish tones with the LP if you have the urge. Cool :D

I've just been using a PEQ in the front of the chain and my ear to try to replicate one guitar with another, but the tone match block sounds like a way more efficient way of doing it. I'm gonna have to give this a try!

To bring just 3 guitars to gig and not the lot of 10-15 guitars, and still get in the same ballpark would be really nice.

Fat'n up the tele or thin out the Les Paul, or hit some stratish tones with the LP if you have the urge. Cool :D

Who is bringing 15 guitars to a gig? Maybe arena acts, but they are doing it as stage props.

Record a dry signal of your bridge pickup (you can use the looper if you want)

Create a preset with the Tone Match block only (or with the looper before the Tone Match block if you opted to record in the looper)

Send the dry recording into the Tone Match block as the reference signal and capture it.

Set your guitar to the neck pickup and play it through the Tone Match block as the local signal and capture it.

Hit match.

Now you can use that block as the FIRST block in your preset.
When it's muted (and set to thru) and you are playing the neck pickup, you will hear the neck pickup as is.
When it's un-muted, you will hear it tone matched to the bridge pickup.

You can optionally save the Tone Match to a cab and then use the CAB block set to this cab in place of the Tone Match block.

PS If you aren't familiar with tone matching in general, be aware that it may take several attempts at capturing the reference and local signals to get something usable. This is especially true when matching dry signals like this.

Thanks for the steps, but I have one quick question: why do I need to record the original sound? I thought I could just play it live, but I am not sure?

Could you give a bit more detail on the steps here?

Thanks!

Kevin

I think there was some collaborate project going on a year back or so,
they were trying to tonematch different guitar types .. I am not sure I remember it correctly.

and I don't know about the result but it could be worth searching for and checking out :)

I found that thread before I posted, but a) it did not have the steps for actually doing the tone match and b) it was for trying to match different guitars' pickups where as I am trying to match pickups in the same guitar. Also, the thread kind of petered off and died with no real resolution :(

I know there was a thread awhile back about this. (Can't find it.) I always wanted a pickup or guitar block ability. You just can't own all the guitars you want. Same with amps. But I'd love to use my favorite guitar and get a LP, a Strat, Suhr, EBMM, or whatever guitar by changing a block. Someday it will happen.

Who is bringing 15 guitars to a gig? Maybe arena acts, but they are doing it as stage props.

I have had 10 guitars twice. I could not leave any at home. I actually used 9, so one of them became sad. The guys thought i was crazy though...

I did a TM block of my EJ strat (on quack), then used my Carvin neck Bridge HB for the TM.
Saved it as a cab block called EJ2Carvin.
Now, whenever I want my EJ strat sound and I'm on a patch with my Carvin, I just drop in that cab block TM.
pretty cool.

I did a TM block of my EJ strat (on quack), then used my Carvin neck Bridge HB for the TM.
Saved it as a cab block called EJ2Carvin.
Now, whenever I want my EJ strat sound and I'm on a patch with my Carvin, I just drop in that cab block TM.
pretty cool.

Can you share the process you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty much what grape said:

I played my Strat into the TM block as the reference signal and captured it.

Played my Carvin neck HB pickup and played it through the Tone Match block as the local signal and captured it.

Hit match.

saved it as a CAB block.

now anytime I want to have my EJ quack sound available on my Carvin neck HB, I just drop that CAB block in as the first block in a preset.

hope that helps
Jeff

Thanks for the steps, but I have one quick question: why do I need to record the original sound? I thought I could just play it live, but I am not sure?
Kevin

You don't have to record it but I find that recording forces you to creste a good reference clip. If you play live, you'll only hear it once. You'll also have a good reference clip in the future to loop while oreert building. It's also easier to capture the recording because your hands are free.

I typically don't record the local because different ways of playing the local work better than others depending on what's being matched. That way can capture local then match and repeat until I get s good match.

Sorry, I don't have an explicit tutorial on this but give it a try and then ask more questions if it's unclear.

You don't have to record it but I find that recording forces you to creste a good reference clip. If you play live, you'll only hear it once. You'll also have a good reference clip in the future to loop while oreert building. It's also easier to capture the recording because your hands are free.

I typically don't record the local because different ways of playing the local work better than others depending on what's being matched. That way can capture local then match and repeat until I get s good match.

Sorry, I don't have an explicit tutorial on this but give it a try and then ask more questions if it's unclear.

Thanks - I guess mostly I just need to figure out the steps of the "capture". I don't know if I need change any settings, etc as I think normally the tone match is getting its source from USB?

This thread inspired me for another idea: how about tone matching brand new strings so you can forever play with the old ones and never need to change them? Has anyone tried that?

Back
Top Bottom