How do I temporarily block my Floyd Rose tremolo?

I use one of these. Set up a little tighter so double stops are possible.
With a little extra force you can stil bend the trem up.
goeldo-backbox-gegendruckfeder.jpg

Ok I found this over at the Kramer forum... This has to be the cheapest trem stop yet using a small door latch. So literally at the flick of a switch you can lock your trem, well... for dive only anyway.

Last edited:
Ok I found this over at the Kramer forum... This has to be the cheapest trem stop yet using a small door latch. So literally at the flick of a switch you can lock your trem, well... for dive only anyway.

I had seen that just the other day as well. It looks perfect for what I need! Maybe it would be possible to rout a small cavity on the other side of the trem block as well, to install a 2nd barrel bolt. That would allow you to block the tremolo from diving as well. It would be a pretty major surgery job though.

That looks pretty cool. The way they talk about the "rare earth rocks" in the videos makes it sound like it works through magic. :lol If you decide to try it, let me know how well it works. The only downside I've read about it so far is that it won't allow you to flutter your Floyd Rose. :(

I installed a Tremol-No about a week ago and now my Floyd Rose won't flutter. The Tremol-No seems to be installed correctly and there's no friction I can feel or hear but it seems stiff. I've also had an issue with the thumb screws holding the receiver and deep c unit in place. No matter how much I tighten the screws, when I dive bomb and let go of the bar, the receive hits the deep c unit and pushes it back.

The #1 reason I don't recommend the Tremol-No is bc their support has never contacted me after I have emailed them multiple times.

I'm planning on just blocking off my trem, so it's a fixed bridge. If I need to do dive bombs, I'll use the FX that Yek explained in a post I read a while ago.

I wonder if anyone has figured out how to make a flutter FX?

Here's my post about install issues I had:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/86068-need-help-installing-tremol-no-dropped-d-tuning.html

That's too bad you can't get it to work. I know that Guthrie uses on on his guitars and though he doesn't show it in this vid with the new Floyd vintage trem in it, he can get it to flutter pretty good.

I much prefer the following trem stopper than the one Floyd Rose Upgrades sells:

"Our design is a maximized version of any of the other trem-stoppers you will find out there. Milled from solid KGC Brass, more mass for added vibration transfer directly to the body! Also has a nylon screw insert that holds the set screw in place without the need for nuts to lock it in!"

Trem Stoppers & Stabilizers : Mega-Stop

Alternately I have a block of kiln dried wood(mine happens to be mahogany) that is great for making a trem stopper. Cut the wood as close as possible to the thickness you need, then fine tune the width of the piece of wood with some sandpaper resting on a flat surface. Use a couple dabs of Elmers glue to hold it in place on the guitar. It will pop off when you are ready to take it off.

The #1 reason I don't recommend the Tremol-No is bc their support has never contacted me after I have emailed them multiple times.

Just want to let everyone know that Kevan from Tremol-No finally contacted me on June 5th. I sent my 1st email on May 12th.

This was relatively easy and cheap with Home Depot materials, and I can remove it easily, it’s truly a fixed bridge in this state,

Attachments

• 3AE4D3EF-FA6E-4F2E-BAA1-67A74C17B90D.jpeg
    3AE4D3EF-FA6E-4F2E-BAA1-67A74C17B90D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Thats why you need a few guitars.
You need a recessed floating whammy so you cant do a few special things with it. I have a guitar set up for dive bombs.. and one with a whammy that's blocked... for tremelo. If I had to eliminate 1, it would be the dive bomb setup.
And then you need a guitar or two with a fixed bridge... because of the cons associated with a floating bridge. And you want a guitar with clean pickups, and you need guitar with hot pickups..
And you need a nice single coil guitar, and a nice humbucker guitar..
You need a nice 24 fret guitar with jumbo frets.
And you should consider a hollow body guitar too.
Probably need a classic butterscotch telecaster.
Those Gibson SG's... are so easy to play...they dont get enough credit.

I agree, the sg’s are great guitars, this Ibanez that I blocked the trem on in my hand is really magic to me, I really don’t use a floating trem but fell in love with this particular guitar, so I wanted the bridge to be fixed, I have a fixed and bugs by equipped sg style guitars also which I really am attached to

I agree, the sg’s are great guitars, this Ibanez that I blocked the trem on in my hand is really magic to me, I really don’t use a floating trem but fell in love with this particular guitar, so I wanted the bridge to be fixed, I have a fixed and bugs by equipped sg style guitars also which I really am attached to
Bigsby*

Back
Top Bottom