How do I fix the action of a specific string on a telecaster?

Use a small allen wrench on the top to screws (bridge saddle) for the string...turn them both counterclockwise to adjust downward.

You shouldn't have any problems, lowering the saddle. If raised (clockwise), the screw could could come out, but easy fix (put it back in and adjust again). Also, if the string buzzes, you'll need to re-adjust it upward.

From the looks of it, your intonation is likely off as well. That D string saddle shouldn't be further back than the A string saddle and the high E saddle shouldn't be further back than the B string saddle (assuming standard tuning and typical string gauges are used). Check out some YouTube videos on doing guitar setups. They'll show you the process for adjusting everything.

Last edited:
From the looks of it, your intonation is likely off as well. That D string saddle shouldn't be further back than the A string saddle (assuming standard tuning and typical string gauges are used). Check out some YouTube videos on doing guitar setups. They'll show you the process for adjusting everything.

ok, will check it out, thank you guys so much!

ok so i gave up on this guitar a few hours ago because the e string is relatively close to the fretboard on the headstock side, but it's super high on the bridge side of the guitar. would this be a truss rod issue?

ok so i gave up on this guitar a few hours ago because the e string is relatively close to the fretboard on the headstock side, but it's super high on the bridge side of the guitar. would this be a truss rod issue?

Assuming that you've already lowered the saddle, that sounds like the neck itself might be warped. I suggest taking it to a good luthier to have it looked at.

Probably not the truss rod but could be the neck joint or a twisted neck.

I'd check that the neck is bolted on securely and adjust the saddles to get an arc on the strings matching the fretboard. At that point, you can evaluate the truss rod and tweak if needed. Finally, adjust intonation as it will be needed.

If this is new to you, take the guitar to a reputable tech and ask if they will let you watch them do the setup. Maybe propose paying a bit extra.

I had the opportunity to sit in with Gary Brauer in SF and learned quite a bit. After watching him, he and I both knew I'd be coming back for more setups. I knew enough to fix minor problems, but a good tech can do magic. Good thing I promised not to discuss the sacrificial chickens and goats that were required to do <poof>

If I understand your issue correctly, it sounds like the slot in the nut for that string has worn down and is too deep. Since this caused the string to buzz, they raised the height of the string at the bridge to compensate. Sounds like you may need a new nut. The way to check the nut slot depth is to push the string down at the 3rd fret and then press the string down to the 1st fret to see if it moves down at all (there should be a tiny gap). Another way to check this clearance is to tap on the string right above the first fret (still holding the string down at the 3rd fret) and it should "ping". If it doesn't, it is because the string is touching the fret, indicating the nut slot is too deep and the nut needs to be replaced.

If you don’t even know the lingo for the part you didn’t know how to adjust - TAKE IT TO A SHOP
Just to say it, not everyone sets up their own guitars, and there's no shame in having a pro do it. Watch and learn if you can, but often you have to just drop it off and pick it up later.

sometimes I have brain farts, and I was already planning on fixing the saddles the way people suggested before I posted here but I just wanted to get clarification
also I really don’t want to spend $200 every single time something’s wrong with a guitar. (especially this one, I don’t like it and plan on selling it)

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Setup is a great thing for every guitarist to learn and it can definitely save you some time and money, especially if you don't live anywhere close to a tech/luthier. I'd say anything short of fretwork or maybe nut adjustments is fair game for any player to learn and tackle themselves. There's TONS of great info out there online for learning the basics.

I suspect the neck might be twisted given that the saddles appear to be set progressively higher going from the Low E to the High E. Hard to say without seeing it person though. One way to check is to drop both the Low E and High E saddles down to the same height above the bridge plate (use a penny as a gauge under the front edge of each saddle) and then compare the distance between the fret tops and the bottom of the E strings along the neck while fretting at the 1st fret. They should be equal on both sides of each fret. If one side is high while the other is low, the neck is likely warped or twisted.

I suspect the neck might be twisted given that the saddles appear to be set progressively higher going from the Low E to the High E. Hard to say without seeing it person though. One way to check is to drop both the Low E and High E saddles down to the same height above the bridge plate (use a penny as a gauge under the front edge of each saddle) and then compare the distance between the fret tops and the bottom of the E strings along the neck while fretting at the 1st fret. They should be equal on both sides of each fret. If one side is high while the other is low, the neck is likely warped or twisted.
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom