How could I boost my upper register high notes on a clean guitar?

@dean701 @GMGM @bleujazz3 @∞Fractals
So I wanted to follow up with results for this post. I did try PitchFollower. And I agree, a very cool tool! So the problem I am having with this option is that because when I play chords lower in the neck which may have notes in upper register, even like a open D on the 3rd fret, I will receive an intermittent spike in volume - not quite a pop sound but noticeable. If I just play individual notes (I'm looking for the 1st / 2nd string on 10th fret and up, I get the increased volume, but it is impacting the chords.

Any technique suggestions?

Next I will try the Compression suggestion and report.

Thanks everyone! This has been a great post, and the discussions very enlightening to others than just myself.

Scott

@dean701 @GMGM @bleujazz3 @∞Fractals
So I wanted to follow up with results for this post. I did try PitchFollower. And I agree, a very cool tool! So the problem I am having with this option is that because when I play chords lower in the neck which may have notes in upper register, even like a open D on the 3rd fret, I will receive an intermittent spike in volume - not quite a pop sound but noticeable. If I just play individual notes (I'm looking for the 1st / 2nd string on 10th fret and up, I get the increased volume, but it is impacting the chords.

Any technique suggestions?

Next I will try the Compression suggestion and report.

Thanks everyone! This has been a great post, and the discussions very enlightening to others than just myself.

Scott
Might be a byproduct of using a cleaner tone. My pitch follower targets gain/distortion, rather than volume per se. But because I'm starting with an already distorted sound, it's already compressed - and therefore easier to mask any volume discrepencies.

I wonder if you're not cutting through because your core tone has too much low end? I tend to dial in that way as well (it's a hard habit to break). But in reality, guitars don't really contribute much below 80Hz or so. If you cut some of those lows, you might be able to get a little more level/presence without turning up too much.

I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to pitch followers. Leon's example is fairly straight forward and easy to dial in. But with a clean tone, there are clearly other variables that aren't being accounted for. You could try the pitch follow on a compressor perhaps (instead of the filter)? Or program it for a mild volume boost. The beauty here is that you use the PF to shape multiple parameters in either direction.

But maybe at some point it's easier just to use a compressor or volume pedal block to a boost when you need it.

haven't read through the whole thread, but the pitch follower will only accurately track one pitch at a time. if you play chords, it'll fly about all over the place and get very confused. so it'll only be reliable on single notes.

Back
Top Bottom