How can I get power outlets on the FRONT of a rack? Patchbay?

Spaceboy

Inspired
I want to build a rack setup that never needs the rear cover removed on stage, consisting of the Axe FX II, power distributor, and patchbay. I need a patchbay or another solution that brings ethernet, USB, and L/R XLR outputs and TWO powered outlets from the power distributor to the front of the rack. These outlets would be used for powered monitors, and I would probably mount an IEC inlet on the side for connecting the power strip to the wall outlet. I'm not opposed to mounting power inside the rack instead of a rackmount conditioner, or possibly using some sort of conditioner/distributor with TWO front power outlets in addition to a patchbay for Axe FX II connections, which could be built with the precut Redco panels and connectors that are popular on this board. The other Axe FX connections aren't needed on stage, and I'll remove the rear cover in studio if needed.

What would be the simplest method to get everything routed to the front?

I would suggest talking to REDCO...I'll bet they can cut a panel to mount 2 outlets and the other required "D" sub holes for the other AXE2 connections you need...like the panel I made for my AXE2

If you don't want to remove the rear door it is possible to mount a pair of outlets on the rear door. Food for thought. I'll post some pics of my custom panel I am in the middle of wiring. I forgot to order two XLR female for my Output 1 L-R. Doh!!! Now you've got me thinking about leaving the rear door on permanently. Time for brainstorming.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

This way your signal and power wires are far apart and your power cables are in the rear. For me this would work best because of how my setup is.

Sent from my iPod.

You all might think I'm a weirdo, but I actually have the reverse - I never take the FRONT panel of my main axe rack off - most of my patches are tweaked for live use, and I don't have much cause to adjust live (don't have time usually for it anyway). I have a level that's set up well enough for most mixers, and the rest is controlled via midi controller. I connect to the rear of the axe, after passing thru some pedals, preamps etc. So when I show up at the gig, I just plug in cables and play.

I'm thinking about having everything patched thru and doing the reverse now, but so far, this works well enough for me. Took some time tho - for a while I'd tweak EVERYTIME I setup, to get the sound right, but now I think it's pretty decent, so it's plug n play for me!

Yeah that is weird. I wouldn't like not being able to see my Axe. Kind of like having sex in the dark. I like to see whats going on.

Sent from my iPod.

Not weird. I do the same. #i have my "patchbay" at the back so the front doesnt need to come off. The only thing that might be of use is the Tuner - but on stage the MFC gives me that.

Reactions: jon
That Monster conditioner might be the solution for me, and building the standard pre-cut patchbay for connections. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom