How can I get a good Dick Dale / surf spring reverb sound?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
The models labelled 'spring reverb' in the AFX don't sound convincing to me. How can I go about getting that splashy Dick Dale spring reverb sound? I've tried combining the reverb block with a delay block to get the audible echo repeats but I still can't capture the metallic vibe or the 'boing' and bounce of a real spring reverb. :?

I haven't really tried that specific sound but for a start, try the 'vintage' reverb. I believe the spring reverb has all the boings and chirps taken out - the vintage has them in. From what I recall though, Dick's sound was really over the top boing and chirp - don't know if the axe can deliver quite that much.

Also if you are using the Fender sims, I would try the bass down a bit and the thump up a bit. Doing this has helped me clean up the mush on the low end, but still retaining fullness.

let us know if you can get close - that would be a cool sound to nail. Just remember not to kick the axe across the stage for reverb crashes like you would an outboard reverb! :lol:

Yes, the vintage reverb with diffusion at 100% is a definite improvement. I've been trying to recreate the Misirlou sound but haven't been able to get the bouncy attack on the lower strings. My Strat seems excessively bright with some unpleasant transients at the front of each note when hitting the strings hard. Dropping the Pres or Treb just makes the tone muddy. I've recently replaced the bridge pickup with a Lollar blackface so I reckon I should be able to get close. I'm using the Blackface amp model and I've twiddled all the parameters, (Drive, etc.) inc. the ones in the Advanced tab but I'm still not quite there. Cab is a 4x10 bass, but I've messed with the others too. That one seems to work best.

I've not got my MIDI setup sorted yet as I'm still deciding on the best form of amplification. I guess I'll post the preset to Axechange when I've got my MIDI hookup sorted.

Stringtheorist said:
Yes, the vintage reverb with diffusion at 100% is a definite improvement. I've been trying to recreate the Misirlou sound but haven't been able to get the bouncy attack on the lower strings. My Strat seems excessively bright with some unpleasant transients at the front of each note when hitting the strings hard. Dropping the Pres or Treb just makes the tone muddy. I've recently replaced the bridge pickup with a Lollar blackface so I reckon I should be able to get close. I'm using the Blackface amp model and I've twiddled all the parameters, (Drive, etc.) inc. the ones in the Advanced tab but I'm still not quite there. Cab is a 4x10 bass, but I've messed with the others too. That one seems to work best.

I've not got my MIDI setup sorted yet as I'm still deciding on the best form of amplification. I guess I'll post the preset to Axechange when I've got my MIDI hookup sorted.

A huge part of his tone actually comes from his guitar and fingers. I think he uses a ridiculous gauge like 0.15. It's almost like a bass guitar :lol: . He used Dual Showmans if I remember correctly. I'd try the Twin and don't forget to put 0.15s on ;) !

VegaBaby said:
Stringtheorist said:

A huge part of his tone actually comes from his guitar and fingers. I think he uses a ridiculous gauge like 0.15. It's almost like a bass guitar :lol: . He used Dual Showmans if I remember correctly. I'd try the Twin and don't forget to put 0.15s on ;) !
Ouch, I don't think I'll be upping my string gauge but I'll try the Twin model. Thanks. :cool:

Stringtheorist said:
Ouch, I don't think I'll be upping my string gauge but I'll try the Twin model. Thanks. :cool:

He also plays super heavy. It's almost like all the overdrive comes from his strumming arm. He also has his strings reversed (like Hendrix) which may have an impact on the tone due to pickups and different way of strumming...

VegaBaby said:
Stringtheorist said:

He also plays super heavy. It's almost like all the overdrive comes from his strumming arm. He also has his strings reversed (like Hendrix) which may have an impact on the tone due to pickups and different way of strumming...
Probably why my top string sounds so wimpy. :lol:

javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:
Thanks Java. Well I am already using the Blackface model.

You could try the brownface. I prefer it for the Fender sound.

The Brownface is too warm, too nice, not edgy enough for that kinda tone in my opinion.

I'd try a different cab though. The Bassman cabs just don't sound open enough and have quite a midhump. I'd try something like a 4x12...

Revisiting this old thread, I just occurred to me that as the surf guys all used outboard reverbs, you will probably need to put the reverb before the amp.

stevorc321 said:
Revisiting this old thread, I just occurred to me that as the surf guys all used outboard reverbs, you will probably need to put the reverb before the amp.
I thought outboard reverbs went between amp and speakers?

No. I have one - an old fender '63 reverb reissue. Definitely guitar -> reverb -> amp -> cab. I'm pretty sure you would blow it up if you tried to hook it into the speaker output jack! I have been fiddling with the AFX vintage reverb before the amp to try and get some Kid Ramos type blues tones. Sounds pretty good so far.

A HUGE part of those vintage outboard reverb sounds is the inputted signal (reverb and all) being distorted by the amp. Not too mugh gain though or it will sound awful. Just a little bit of push on a clean amp and it sounds gnarly!

stevorc321 said:
No. I have one - an old fender '63 reverb reissue. Definitely guitar -> reverb -> amp -> cab. I'm pretty sure you would blow it up if you tried to hook it into the speaker output jack! I have been fiddling with the AFX vintage reverb before the amp to try and get some Kid Ramos type blues tones. Sounds pretty good so far.

A HUGE part of those vintage outboard reverb sounds is the inputted signal (reverb and all) being distorted by the amp. Not too mugh gain though or it will sound awful. Just a little bit of push on a clean amp and it sounds gnarly!
Superb tip. Thanks! :cool:

I've been working on this sound too. I like using the large vintage reverb and increasing the size above 40 for really audible spring bounce. Also, fender reverbs are really bright, so I increase the colour parameter, and use the reverb as a send so I can put an EQ afterwards to boost highs (only on reverb, not dry signal).

ninja9 said:
I've been working on this sound too. I like using the large vintage reverb and increasing the size above 40 for really audible spring bounce. Also, fender reverbs are really bright, so I increase the colour parameter, and use the reverb as a send so I can put an EQ afterwards to boost highs (only on reverb, not dry signal).
Any chance you could upload your preset to Axechange, Ninja?

Sure, I uploaded it for you. I'm keen to try putting the reverb before the amp when I get some tweaking time.

Back
Top Bottom